Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods To Avoid?

Hey y'all,

Well it's been almost 3 weeks since I was banded. Things are going great now. I've lost 20lbs and i'm not hungry anymore. There was a point where I thought I could eat the walls. I go for my 1st fill on the 26th and i'm super excited. I've added fish and chicken to my diet and so far the only problem I've had was w/ some scrambled eggs. I think I ate them too fast bc I got this horrible pain in my chest and I could feel the food in my throat. Almost felt like it was stuck. I learned my lesson. Only slow small bites and most defiantly take my time. My question is after I get my fill and can be on a "normal" diet what foods should I avoid eating? When I say avoid I mean what foods could get stuck or cause problems with the band. I know not to eat ice cream, milkshakes, malts etc. Watching this weight come off has been so exciting. I stared this process in a size 20 and last night I pulled some 16 out of the closet and put them on!!!! And I could breathe in them. My husband is really helping motivate me the way he's been looking at me and noticing my effort and weight loss just make me want to keep on going. Well back to my question. If y'all could tell me if you'd had any problems eating a certain food i'd really appreciate it. I know every one's different but i'm still interested in hearing all about it. Thanks.

Everyone is different and with every fill it changes. That being said, I stay away from foods that I can visualize swell. Things like soft bread, rolls, Pasta. My doctor doesn't want us having oatmeal and powdered Protein drinks so I stay away from that too.

I also don't chew gum, don't eat popcorn, no flour tortillas. It isn't because I've tried them and they got stuck. I just haven't tried them because I don't want to get stuck.

Eat a sensible balanced meal and should do fine. You will learn that there are certain foods that just aren't worth the effort. I only have steak now and then, only if my DH cooks it, and only tenderloins. I never reheat the meat once I've had what I can eat that meal. Leftovers are for DH and the dog.

Some people have trouble with chicken, but if it is moist I can eat it. I usually have gravy (fat free) or applesauce around to "grease the skids" as others call it. I've pretty much given up on brocolli. It is hit or miss with me and makes me nervous now to eat.

I don't really have any issues with food except after a fill. Then everything is subject to PB as a result of delayed swelling. I usually react to a fill 6-10 days afterwards. Other than those times I've had no problems.

Good luck.

Thank you for your responce. I noticed we were banded by the same doc. Are you happy with doc Speigel? What about his staff are you pleased with them?

I have had the band for 7 months now, And I have avoided bread at all costs I know everyone is different but I have read alot about bread being a big one to get stuck.. I find it hard to eat meats im fine with mince but it has to have some form of liquid over it eg; gravy, Pasta sauce ect.. I am unable to eat rice or Pasta they are the main ones for me but like I said everyone is different and it's just a case of trial and error..

Good luck with your band

I am four weeks out (Jan 17th). Most breads and soft tortillas are a big no-no; this past weekend, I tried a baked potato (extremely mushed up) - never again - I spent the rest of the day feeling like I had a sock stuck in my throat (it wouldn't come up or go down). So, for the most part I am staying away from all starchy carbs.

Dr. Spiegel is exactly what I expected. He is a great surgeon, but not great on the aftercare. It was OK by me as I like the surgicenter and that's where I get my fills. When I need Dr. Spiegel he is there. I've had no problems with the surgery and only with the fills. However, that is not a surgical problem. It's just my body is very sensitive to fills so I'm having issues there. I haven't had to deal with his office staff since surgery so don't know about them.

Good luck to you

Hi my mane is karlee and even thou i am not banded (will be on the 22nd) I have done alot of research on the band and also from going to my support group and everyone talks about papaya enzyme tablets I found them at the Vitamin Shoppe you might want to try it they are small white pill not capsul but they can be crush and they are great for desolving stuff that get stuck I have tried in and it work...don't hold me to this it might not work for you but it is worth a try...good luck

My question is after I get my fill and can be on a "normal" diet what foods should I avoid eating? When I say avoid I mean what foods could get stuck or cause problems with the band.

That is good that you know not to eat ice cream and stuff that goes down easy. After my fills my doctor has me do 24 hours of liquids and 24 hours mushies then back to solids. You probably will still have to stay away from scrambled eggs. I can't do them either. Make sure you cut your meat the size of a pencil eraser. If you do that you will be fine. chicken doesn't go down as nicely as meat.< /p>