Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is done for a dilated pouch?

Does anyone know what the symptoms of a dilated pouch are? Also, what is done to remedy the problem?

Depending on the severity of the problem, l think most doctors would just take the saline out completely and instruct the patient to be very careful not to overeat for several weeks. Once that's done they can take another look at the pouch and see if it's returned to a normal size.

Symptoms are feeling no restriction and maybe some reflux. For me I suddenly had no restriction.

Do you tend to pack in the food? Do you eat past full a lot?

If you really suspect this, go see your doctor. My surgeon calls it a "prelude to a slip".

What happened for me is it was caught fairly early. I was put on teeny tiny portions and I still struggle with it. I want to keep away from a slip....a lot.

But when I ate tiny portions, within about a week, the restriction was back.

Thanks so much for the information. I am not able to see a surgeon right now so I was looking for some information on here and other sites. I have been on a liquid only diet for the past week. Just Slim Fast, pureed bean Soup and Water. I was pretty surprised to have restriction back so quickly.

I am very very guilty of "packing" it in. Especially these last 3 months. I lost restriction and thought oh well, I can eat more so I went for it. I know, BAD. This whole thing has scared me straight!

Thanks again!!!

My pouch was dilated and I had to get unfilled for 2 weeks and eat proplerly. After 2 weeks had a swollow study and things looked good back to normal size so I have a little fillin me now .

I usually unfill patients for 4 weeks, sometimes put them on Medifast so they don't gain.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Does anyone know what the symptoms of a dilated pouch are? Also, what is done to remedy the problem?

does anyone know if medicare covers the xray to see if your band is ok. I have been banded a year, not much weight

loss and nurse practioner wants to unfill me without actually seeing what is wrong. I am wondering if I've ever been filled. the very first time I was filled it took the nurse 5 or more tries before she got the right spot and I have only seen the Doctor once after surgery.

I went through so much to get this far. Anyboby got any ideas .

bgrand, i would ask to be filled under fluroscopy (sp?) That is the safest way to make sure their is no leeks and that they do not accidently puncture the your tubing.

I wish I could get filled while using flourscope , my doctor does'nt use it and when I suggested this his fill nurse became very huffy. I am trying to find away to get it done I amm hoping that medicare will cover it

This happened to me!

Back in January I started having a little reflux, which by March turned into bad evening and nightly reflux (vomiting acid at night). When I went to my doctor, he saw that my band had actually tightened and I had too much restriction. My last fill had been more than 6 months before. When he unfilled me by 1cc, it made a huge difference for me, and after PBing pretty much everything I had eaten in the previous 2 months, I went nuts and enjoyed eating. I still had ok restriction until about 2 weeks ago, when I was "able" to comfortably eat almost normal sized portions and hadn't felt any urge to PB. I scheduled a fill with my doctor this weekend thinking I needed more restriction, but he saw on the fluroscopy that my pouch was dilated, so instead of getting a fill, I lost another 2cc. I'm lucky that I still have 4 left, but this experience has scared the bejesus out of me. He told me to come back in about a month, so I need to know more about what to eat now. I am going to try mostly liquids, but does it matter now much of the liquids I drink? I feel so overwhelmed and scared. I don't want to sabatoge my tool, and I REALLY don't want to gain more weight.

I had an upper GI yesterday and my (new) doctor said that some of my stomach is still pushed up through my band. But it was better than the 3/19 UGI when I was too tight (I have had 1cc removed). My question is: how is this condition different from a dilated pouch because that is what it looked like to me when he showed it to me on the screen.

Thanks so much for the information. I am not able to see a surgeon right now so I was looking for some information on here and other sites. I have been on a liquid only diet for the past week. Just Slim Fast, pureed bean Soup and Water. I was pretty surprised to have restriction back so quickly.

I am very very guilty of "packing" it in. Especially these last 3 months. I lost restriction and thought oh well, I can eat more so I went for it. I know, BAD. This whole thing has scared me straight!

Thanks again!!!

I was just looking through to see what might be wrong with me. I think maybe I have this problem... Did the small portions work for you? I was doing OK but then lately I think I've been eating too much. And now I'm noticing that I feel like there is somethig at the base of my throat... and reflux at night. Makes me not want to lie flat. I'm going to go on slimfast for a week and see if that helps.