Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Friday Feb 8th 2013

Thanks for all your great repies..... I've always had a problem with milk in quantites other than in coffee. Things like Slim Fast' date=' Cambridge Diet, Lighter Life etc etc have always given me an upset stomach. At the moment I've tried to have milk and extra Protein with fruit and put in a blender and it does seem to be going well so far, fingers crossed. I have to ask though has anyone else notice your breath smells? I tried to brush my tounge but keep gagging and feeling sick, use listerine but it only halts it for a short time. Have been advised not to use gum - any ideas anyone?[/quote']

The breath is from all of the fat burning. Annoying but good. I know lots of people who were lactose intolerant after surgery so I'd tread lightly there until you are feeling better.

Can anyone tell me what to expect after surgery like c what ill be able to eat and when im worried about everything.. such as complications being sick ect.

When I awoke from surgery I can remember wanting to have a drink but was hooked up to a drip. Water was only given to make your mouth comfortable as all nourishment came from the drip. Thinking back, wanting water came from the fact I had upped my intake during my 2 week pre-op and having not had fluids from 10pm the previous night and after the op being some 16 hours later before I was fully awake and taking in my surroundings it was just a reaction. When I was able to drink they were such little sips any gulps I could feel them rushing back up. I make smoothies using Protein and mix with some milk, water, skimmed milk powder and fresh fruit. I would advise sipping all the time and carrying a bottle of water with you and you'll do fine. I am based in the UK and advice differs all over but all Dr's will agree that water intake is vital.

Thanks you thats good advice. I am just so worried I will have complications and also I worry I will never be able to eat some of the foods I love so much and I dont really mean the junk foods I mean foods like onions n spicy foods. I am a meat eater and would hate thinkn I can never have steak or hamburger again. Like I said I am just worried about everything. And to top things off my husband is very worried and he supports me but only because this is what I want so badly and im afraid things wont go well and cause relationship problems. Has anyone else had the same fears?

I think the complications can get worse if surgery is not done depending on what's wrong and your circumstances. Personally I found I lost weight felt great, then gained and then felt bad about myself. Each time putting on a little bit more weight. I must have lost and gained 40lbs a whole bunch of times! That too is not good on your body. I too love spicey food and hope in time I can slowly re-introduce them over time. I will have to accept things need to be different. From waking up after my op I have not taken ANY high blood pressure meds - and I was on 5 different tabs a day! That's got to be better than anything else in the world? My boyfriend has been super supportive and has cutback on his eating and now making good food choices.

.......also don't forget when you have gone through all food stages and back on solids frim what I have seen the diet will be very similar to the Atkins program to ensure you get 60g+ of Protein per day.

That is great I hope things will go smoothly for me as well. I realize things must change or ill never reach my goal and stay there. I am just one that worries about everything. Sounds like you are doing so great and that makes me feel better about everything. I really just dont know anyone close to me to ask questions or get advice about it so this is helpful thank you. My family is only ones who know im about to do this because some of my friends seems to think the surgery would be taking easy way out and I know thats not the truth so I feel better not getting that negative input.

How are you feeling?

livingmyselfJAN 21,2013:

I haven't had my surgery yet im scheduled for march 11 and im scared and worried about everything under the sun..

I feel great! A lot of my family do not know I just told my mum who has been great and very supportive. I don't need negative people around me as I have a lot to deal with as there are so many things going on with this change I'm going through. You have to be selfish and put yourself first. People will see you differently and even I guess say that you have changed but you have a stronger reserve as there is no turning back,or, saying your diet will start on Monday when you have slipped and then Monday never arrives - you just can't fail.

My surgery was Feb 8th and I'm healing great. I would say in preparing for your op is to get a couple of "last meals" under your belt and then start to make a change before it's full steam ahead. Increase your Water intake will reap rewards. I used to start the day with a glass of warm water with lemon to wake up my system. If you have a similar pre op diet to me whuch was not shakes it was difficult 4oz of meat seemed like nothing. I would have my fruit for lunch and then double up on dinner as 8oz seemed as if I was not depriving myself. I did this a no more than 5 times during the diet. Wrong or right I don't know but it got me through. I lost 15lbs in 2 weeks! I have a salad that I could not have done it without. I done shredded iceburg lettuce, cucumber, bell peppers, cherry Tomato, red onions. I put some balsamic vinegar 15 mins before eating I didn't use olive oil just in case. It was d'lish!

So you have already had a salad and your surgery was feb 8??? If thats what you meant then maybe it wont b so bad as I thought it was going to be. I realize every person is different tho.

Sorry I meant that the salad was in my pre-op diet. I am currently on liquids. I was giving ypu an idea on what I was eating pre-op. So, have a few final meals of things that you will miss most and buckle down as I know from reading on here that often if a target is not met often surgery can be cancelled as your liver has mot shrunk enough. My Dr has previously cancelled someone's surgery and they didnt know the liver had not shrunk until he was worked on! He was closed up again and the op was pit back a couple of months. Another Dr will not operate on smokers!

Yea my dr wont work on smokers I was so thankful I didnt have to worry about that. I only have to have a limited diet for two weeks before surgery.

All Dr's are different I have seen posts on here where people have had weigh in's for several months before the op and have had to show a loss each time and some people that have not had to do a diet at all.