Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating since im gonna have surgery

This is killing me too. I will be having surgery end of May (no set date yet) and for the past month I've been eating like crazy. Planning things and anticipating what I'll eat next. Awful! Makes it worse too that I am on a strict budget so I can pay my crazy high deductible and out of pocket amount! Budget and eating like a pig don't mix.

Today is my last day of "real" food before diet. Went and got my last blizzard from dairy queen.

Today is my last day of "real" food before diet. Went and got my last blizzard from dairy queen.

It's so much easier post-op though!!! I'm 2 months tomorrow and had 3 bites of my son's sonic blizzard thingy the other night...3 bites and completely satisfied...life is good!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

I have been "practicing" the habits we need to learn but not necessarily portions. By habits I mean taking Vitamins, sipping Water between meals but not with meals, and getting enough quality Protein. I gave up coffee and wine, but not sugar comepletely... yet. I am working on the exercise. But I haven't tackled portions and still have "cheats", for the same reason most of you do. It might be a LONG time before I gat to eat these things again, if ever. I lost six pounds in th last two weeks but today my coworkers were ordering calzones and I broke down and did too. I have not had a calzone in literally YEARS, and I thought this might be my last chance to have one. And I did, eating the entire Buffalo chicken calzone w/bacon, ricotta, and mozzarella chz. And as always when I over do it, it was not nearly as satisfying as I thought it would be. It was tasty, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't the greatest thing I ever had and I was so full that I spent most of my afternoon feeling uncomfortable. I wish I hadn't done it. I hope this is a lesson learned.

I tell myself that I am giving up foods that I've grown to love over the years. But it has been an abusive relationship... I have loved these foods but they have not been good to me. They have wreaked havoc on my health, my self esteem, and my self-respect. They have kept me from doing things I would like to do with people I care about and I'll never get those opportunities back. It is a divorce I should have sought years ago. I like to think I will not miss those foods. I am bound and determined to replace those foods with things I could never do and ENJOY MY LIFE. I don't want to want those foods ever again. I'll need the mental toughness to move forward and not go back.

I have been "practicing" the habits we need to learn but not necessarily portions. By habits I mean taking Vitamins, sipping Water between meals but not with meals, and getting enough quality Protein. I gave up coffee and wine, but not sugar comepletely... yet. I am working on the exercise. But I haven't tackled portions and still have "cheats", for the same reason most of you do. It might be a LONG time before I gat to eat these things again, if ever. I lost six pounds in th last two weeks but today my coworkers were ordering calzones and I broke down and did too. I have not had a calzone in literally YEARS, and I thought this might be my last chance to have one. And I did, eating the entire Buffalo chicken calzone w/bacon, ricotta, and mozzarella chz. And as always when I over do it, it was not nearly as satisfying as I thought it would be. It was tasty, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't the greatest thing I ever had and I was so full that I spent most of my afternoon feeling uncomfortable. I wish I hadn't done it. I hope this is a lesson learned.

I tell myself that I am giving up foods that I've grown to love over the years. But it has been an abusive relationship... I have loved these foods but they have not been good to me. They have wreaked havoc on my health, my self esteem, and my self-respect. They have kept me from doing things I would like to do with people I care about and I'll never get those opportunities back. It is a divorce I should have sought years ago. I like to think I will not miss those foods. I am bound and determined to replace those foods with things I could never do and ENJOY MY LIFE. I don't want to want those foods ever again. I'll need the mental toughness to move forward and not go back.

My psych compared the l"ast meals" to break up sex. It made me lol

Hi in just wonder if as anyone has gained wait waiting for their pre op diet to begin? I feel like I went from trying to lose weight to saying goodbye to food.

I gained 12lbs b4 surgery, hit the china buffet on the regular... I was real bad! But I have been good ever since my RNY. Don't beat yourself up to bad. But it is important to shrink the liver so the Surgeon isn't forced to open you up like a frog in science class lol.

I am so happy someone said this! I've been feeling ashamed as I've been in the goodbye tour as well! I thought I was the only one. Thank you!

Don't beat yourself up. :0)

Me too. I was reading weight loss surgery for dummies' date=' and that is a pretty common thing

eating chocolate right now lol[/quote']

Maybe that's my problem....I have been eating like a pig and I feel so defeated and ashamed....I haven't been to the gym in a week either, and I was going 4 days a week. I know I've gained weight, but I can't bear to step on the scale. Thank you for sharing, you guys! It helps to know that this is not uncommon.

Me too. I was reading weight loss surgery for dummies' date=' and that is a pretty common thing

eating chocolate right now lol[/quote']

Maybe that's my problem....I have been eating like a pig and I feel so defeated and ashamed....I haven't been to the gym in a week either, and I was going 4 days a week. I know I've gained weight, but I can't bear to step on the scale. Thank you for sharing, you guys! It helps to know that this is not uncommon.

Surgery is July 16, preop diet starts July 2. I've mourned my food the last couple of months and gained 7 lbs. so I'm done now. Have eaten everything thats been on my mind. Now I'm eating sensibly, no white stuff (rice, bread, potatoes) and the biggest thing I have stopped and its killing me: AN ICE COLD PEPSI!!!!!!!!!! I'm so addicted to Pepsi's!! I gained 75 lbs drinking Pepsi over the last year when I quit smoking. I feel like a drug addict weaning myself off Pepsi. That "monkey is on my back" big time but I'm staying strong. I'm drinking ice tea with sweet n low. Its okay. Crystal Light upsets my stomach and I dont know why.

Surgery is July 16' date=' preop diet starts July 2. I've mourned my food the last couple of months and gained 7 lbs. so I'm done now. Have eaten everything thats been on my mind. Now I'm eating sensibly, no white stuff (rice, bread, potatoes) and the biggest thing I have stopped and its killing me: AN ICE COLD PEPSI!!!!!!!!!! I'm so addicted to Pepsi's!! I gained 75 lbs drinking Pepsi over the last year when I quit smoking. I feel like a drug addict weaning myself off Pepsi. That "monkey is on my back" big time but I'm staying strong. I'm drinking ice tea with sweet n low. Its okay. Crystal Light upsets my stomach and I dont know why.[/quote']

Good for you! Quitting soda was one one of the first things I did when I decided to have surgery. It was really really hard at first and then after a month I tried a sip (it was Christmas Eve) and I couldn't believe how gross it tasted. Since then only very rarely do I crave it. I got to where I loved loved light lemonade. It will get easier! It's great about you food changes too.

Pretty much gave up all the good things that you all have mentioned. Diet Pepsi was my go to drink, but think I replaced it with more coffee, which has since turned out not to have been a good choice. But all this was three years ago when I was banded. Now I'm basically in the same boat. No band, nothing stopping me from eating what I want, when I want, etc. until I have bypass in about three months. I don't have will power, never have that is why I needed a tool to control my weight, but I'm pretty darn stubborn. So since I did lose weight with the band, I'll be darn if I put on any weight just to have to take it off again, so I still have to look and smell but don't dare touch. So please eat for me too, I miss Chunky Monkey, Java Chip my two favorite ice creams, any donuts, cream puffs, peach cobbler, German chocolate cake, pizza, and yes the cheddar biscuits, and my list goes on, and on. Lol

I just about completing the steps before my first appointment and I started to count calories and only eating approved food. You know to get into the habit, I'm suppose to loose 10 pounds before op, but they also know is hard because this is why I'm getting surgery in the first place but I really want this and I'm trying my hardest to control myself , but it's a suffering. I ate for lunch a turkey whole wheat sandwich then another one around 6pm and like at 10 my dinner I go to sleep like at 1:30 am . For dinner I had some chilli . Like 1 cup n half . I felt starving can't wait to have a smaller stomach!!!