Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have any information on gastric bypass reversals?

Hi, DarlaRay145, I'm not sure what information you're looking for or what your questions are exactly, but I'm possibly headed that direction myself.

I'm 14 :-) years post op and had numerous complications, I've tried to give some insight in my past postings.

It's a difficult surgery, especially if you've had so many abdominal surgeries in the past, makes it that much more difficult for a surgeon to do.

My weigh in on my surgery date wad 239, since 2010 I can't get past 105, right now I'm 98 lbs, 5ft tall. I suffer from many chronic illnesses, my life has changed, my relationships, the medical expenses are killing me. And I did the surgery to be "skinny and happy", well I feel the absolute worst I've ever felt about myself now. Karma is kicking me in the ass.

It's a difficult decision to make, of course I worry about being 239 again, but I'm 44 & look 54 , malnourished ,which causes so many other problems...physically, mentally, emotionally, etc, etc

Are you considering this surgery and may I ask why?

I had the GBY with rny .

Take care.

Hi' date=' DarlaRay145, I'm not sure what information you're looking for or what your questions are exactly, but I'm possibly headed that direction myself.

I'm 14 :-) years post op and had numerous complications, I've tried to give some insight in my past postings.

It's a difficult surgery, especially if you've had so many abdominal surgeries in the past, makes it that much more difficult for a surgeon to do.

My weigh in on my surgery date wad 239, since 2010 I can't get past 105, right now I'm 98 lbs, 5ft tall. I suffer from many chronic illnesses, my life has changed, my relationships, the medical expenses are killing me. And I did the surgery to be "skinny and happy", well I feel the absolute worst I've ever felt about myself now. Karma is kicking me in the ass.

It's a difficult decision to make, of course I worry about being 239 again, but I'm 44 & look 54 , malnourished ,which causes so many other problems...physically, mentally, emotionally, etc, etc

Are you considering this surgery and may I ask why?

I had the GBY with rny .

Take care.[/quote']

Hi Mbrook

What a dreadful process to go thru

Sounds like your body is lacking in Nutrition & is Starving

Have u considered working with someone who truly understands in getting as much nutrients in to your body

I sure hope u can find someone who can help & I wish u all the best and on to the road to a speedy recovery !!!

Do take Care

Mbrock' date='

As of today you've been registered at RNYTalk.com for a total of 1 year(s), congratulations! Our members here at RNYTalk as well as myself would like to wish you a very very happy anniversary!!

If you haven't introduced yourself to our RNY community or you haven't posted in a while, now would be a great time to do so! Please share your RNY Surgery journey with other members here. We LOVE hearing from our members!

Best Regards,

Alex Brecher, Founder

RNYTalk.com

I've didn't seem to keep up with the blogging thing. But always appreciated the nice responses and well wishes I did receive the past year.

Maybe if I didn't wait until 1,2 3 am I would have kept up more.

A year ago I replied to "Steph" about regretting surgery 14 yrs ago. Got bombarded with recent and healthy patients (hope all stay healthy) asking what " I did wrong"' & continue doing wrong. "Why didn't do more homework" etc .

Well, July 31st @ 6 am Dr. Robert Davis will be doing a revision, "take down of RNY". OF course I'm terrified.. Wonder what is the point now... I already look like a freak. It's not going to give me my teeth back, that were once perfect now gone, won't fix my marriage of 14 years, certainly won't have men knocking down my door , the disability will never be enough for the estimated $20K to repair my mouth. So I'll avoid pics at call costs, don't have many with my kids past couple of years, taking bites or trying will be an issue. All the other body, mind damage won't all be repaired. This will hopefully stop it from getting worse, of course that's no guarantee either. But for what reasons ? This is what I keep asking myself OVER, OVER AND OVER . Just more financially in debt?

More strain on marriage ?

If you're considering the gastric bypass with RNY or any weight loss surgery, I can't say do your homework because I did mine . It just didn't work out for me and I look and feel the worst I ever have in my entire life.

I'm not being like this the drag everyone down , but I want people to know there are more people out there like me.

Well, had RNY "take down" 7/31/13 as stated I would. Spent 15 days in the hospital. I finally went home with PICC LINE and was receiving TPN, basically all my Protein and nutrition in an IV and carried a pump around until I violently started throwing up,chills, fever. Told by surgeon go to ER. So I got to enjoy being home for approximately 4days.

I was admitted through ER Tuesday night,8/20/13 & have been on TPN almost the whole time while in isolation( MRSA carrier , STAPH, since got while in surgery in 2010, lucky this time the type of STAPH isn't so dangerous and antibiotics can help.

Still issues with vomiting at night in a dead sleep. After upper GI, the surgery I had on 7/31 was working BUT there was a place at the end of my stomach that was "paralyzed" & food would not travel all the way down through my stomach through intestines. So I am scheduled for yet another surgery tomorrow. Gotta reroute intestines again.

I'm feeling great...everyone sees the difference in my color, my eyes, my voice...I'm just stronger. I looked so malnourished and sick before.

I keep thinking and saying THIS IS IT, THIS Is THE LAST SURGERY I'LL NEED. I'm almost scared to say that,but I am while knocking on wood.

What caused my stomach to become paralyzed at the end?

A nerve was cut during the original bypass surgery in 1999, probably would not have known if reversal was not done. But who really knows? What could it have down if reversal had not been done?

Note: Dr. Robert Davis ( had the show

"BIG MEDICINE" on TLC) is my surgeon NOW,NOT MY ORIGINAL.

The take down took little over 3 hrs. He said when he went in it was a mess. It looked like everything was piled up and glued together, from years of scar tissue, malnutrition, multiple surgeries. Once he took me apart he said it was a breeze.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just informing anyone one symptom I mentioned hits home , has questions about RNY, Reversal etc.

I don't get on here much , and I've gotten slow at emails but reply if any questions.

Well' date=' had RNY "take down" 7/31/13 as stated I would. Spent 15 days in the hospital. I finally went home with PICC LINE and was receiving TPN, basically all my Protein and nutrition in an IV and carried a pump around until I violently started throwing up,chills, fever. Told by surgeon go to ER. So I got to enjoy being home for approximately 4days.

I was admitted through ER Tuesday night,8/20/13 & have been on TPN almost the whole time while in isolation( MRSA carrier , STAPH, since got while in surgery in 2010, lucky this time the type of STAPH isn't so dangerous and antibiotics can help.

Still issues with vomiting at night in a dead sleep. After upper GI, the surgery I had on 7/31 was working BUT there was a place at the end of my stomach that was "paralyzed" & food would not travel all the way down through my stomach through intestines. So I am scheduled for yet another surgery tomorrow. Gotta reroute intestines again.

I'm feeling great...everyone sees the difference in my color, my eyes, my voice...I'm just stronger. I looked so malnourished and sick before.

I keep thinking and saying THIS IS IT, THIS Is THE LAST SURGERY I'LL NEED. I'm almost scared to say that,but I am while knocking on wood.

A nerve was cut during the original bypass surgery in 1999, probably would not have known if reversal was not done. But who really knows? What could it have down if reversal had not been done?

The take down took little over 3 hrs. He said when he went in it was a mess. It looked like everything was piled up and glued together, from years of scar tissue, malnutrition, multiple surgeries. Once he took me apart he said it was a breeze.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just informing anyone one symptom I mentioned hits home , has questions about RNY, Reversal etc.

I don't get on here much , and I've gotten slow at emails but reply if any questions.[/quote']

Wow I just hope you start feeling much better soon! I am almost 6 months out and my beginning journey had a lot of complications. For the last 3 months things have gone great. Complications are awful to go through. Sounds like yours were really bad. I hope this is the solution you need to get yourself healthier again. Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

HW 229, SW 214, CW 153 RNY 3/14/13

I have 2 large deep ulcers that will not heal even with months of full medical treatment. Due to severe dehydration and malnutrition I have been on a PICC line getting TPN for 2 weeks. My surgeon feels I need to be on the TPN for about 4 more weeks before I am strong enough for surgery. We at first discussed a revision but he does not think I would survive another round of ulcers so I will be having a full reversal aka- takedown. I am just waiting for my final authorization so we can see if I will have it before or after Thanksgiving.

I am just ready to get my life back. I have been sick since June and even though I am lucky enough to have the best husband in the world who now works from home to help care for me I am sick of being pampered and I am tired of resting! I want to get out in the world and break a sweat! I hope this note finds you feeling a lot better. I would love to hear any tips or advice you have to give on making it through this process...

Hello

l would like inform every patient who suffers from gastric bypass complications and/or weight regain after gastric bypass, that your surgery can be revised to a more effective procedure; Duodenal Switch, laparoscopically. l am a metabolic surgeon and also the Director of DiaSurg Metabolic Surgery team. We perform mainly Laparoscopic Ileal Interposition Surgery for obese and non-obese diabetes patients and Duodenal Switch Surgery for morbidly and super obese patients.

Please see our operation videos on youtube for revision of gastric bypass surgeries.

CONVERSION OF GASTRIC BYPASS TO DUODENAL SWITCH FOR MAJOR WEIGHT REGAIN:

CONVERSION OF GASTRIC BYPASS TO ILEAL INTERPOSITION FOR WEIGHT REGAIN:

The second vide was presented at IFSO 2013 World Congress at Istanbul-TURKEY.

For detailed information connect us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/DrTugrulDemirel

Tugrul Demirel, M.D.

Bariatric&Metabolic Surgeon

DiaSurg Clinic

Istanbul-Turkey

+90 (506) 688 5408

Hi, DarlaRay145, I'm not sure what information you're looking for or what your questions are exactly, but I'm possibly headed that direction myself. I'm 14 :-) years post op and had numerous complications, I've tried to give some insight in my past postings. It's a difficult surgery, especially if you've had so many abdominal surgeries in the past, makes it that much more difficult for a surgeon to do. My weigh in on my surgery date wad 239, since 2010 I can't get past 105, right now I'm 98 lbs, 5ft tall. I suffer from many chronic illnesses, my life has changed, my relationships, the medical expenses are killing me. And I did the surgery to be "skinny and happy", well I feel the absolute worst I've ever felt about myself now. Karma is kicking me in the ass. It's a difficult decision to make, of course I worry about being 239 again, but I'm 44 & look 54 , malnourished ,which causes so many other problems...physically, mentally, emotionally, etc, etc Are you considering this surgery and may I ask why? I had the GBY with rny . Take care.

I can't believe Iam posting these pictures....but I want to show you the HELL Ian living. I looked like this before my take down on 7/31/13 -but lost another front tooth this week. Needless to say, why even shower daily?So I don't. I don't go out and "LIVE MY LIFE" I HAVE NO LIFE.

Everyone shows the before and after pics, I did it too. But the reality is this can happen to you.

Read someone say they had ulcers? ?While I spent a month in the hospital my LIFE long friend came to visit. After I got home, 2days I saw a posting on FB for prayer requests. So I commented and called her the next day to see how she was holding up and her friends condition. She broke the hospital news to me that she passed away that morning.

I politely asked if she would tell me from what. Being such a greatfriend, she said once I got stronger and healthier she would explain. That freaked me out more, she finally told me she was 6year post op ANY patient who had ulcers. Well, a few days she felt uncomfortable, in pain and figured it was the ulcers Well"acting up". She ended up in the ER, same hospital I was in, and she died because Gangrene had set in the ulcers and killed her. She had surgery for the ulcers years prior....another weird thing about this story. ..her doctor is the same doctor who saved my LIFE in 2010& 2013...he didn't do either of our original bypass but saved her life once and mine twice. You can follow his son, also a world famous bariatric surgeon, Dr. Garth Davis, he's on FB & TWEETER (THE DAVIS CLINIC). Also had a show on DISCOVERY CHANNEL orTLC called "Big Medicine ". My doctor is dad,Robert Davis.

He's "the man" if something doesn't feel right. ...LISTEN TO TO YOUR BODY.

post-186833-0-37142000-1384577855_thumb.jpg

post-186833-0-76731300-1384578065_thumb.png

post-186833-0-28207300-1384579727_thumb.png

Edited by Mbrock

I have 2 large deep ulcers that will not heal even with months of full medical treatment. Due to severe dehydration and malnutrition I have been on a PICC line getting TPN for 2 weeks. My surgeon feels I need to be on the TPN for about 4 more weeks before I am strong enough for surgery. We at first discussed a revision but he does not think I would survive another round of ulcers so I will be having a full reversal aka- takedown. I am just waiting for my final authorization so we can see if I will have it before or after Thanksgiving.

I am just ready to get my life back. I have been sick since June and even though I am lucky enough to have the best husband in the world who now works from home to help care for me I am sick of being pampered and I am tired of resting! I want to get out in the world and break a sweat! I hope this note finds you feeling a lot better. I would love to hear any tips or advice you have to give on making it through this process...

Please read my post about the ulcers years. It was for you. I also did the PICC line after the tear down, was home 3days and back in hospital a month and 2 more surgeries required. I weigh the same as my 12 yr old son, 95#'s.

Edited by Mbrock

This is so sad! I had the sleeve on 5/21/12 and have been having issues with GERD and acid reflux, bile reflux and esophageal spasms. I was told by my surgeon that the only solution FOR GERD is to convert to bypass. NO WAY. I told him no and I mean that. Only way I will do anything is if I get an ulcer or something. As of now, I don't have one. I will take my chances with the sleeve. Seems Gastric Bypass surgery just brings on more and more problems. Even years after having it. I am 18 months out from the sleeve on the 21st.

I see a few people on there that are doing revisions from sleeve to bypass and I pray it works out for them.

I feel for you ladies. I feel sad reading your post. I pray for you to get better and be able to gain weight and have your life back. So sorry this has happend to you. :(

God bless you!!

Please read my post about the ulcers years. It was for you. I also did the PICC line after the tear down, was home 3days and back in hospital a month and 2 more surgeries required. I weigh the same as my 12 yr old son, 95#'s.

I had the same problems, went down to 92 lbs. Almost died, finally found a surgeon willing to try and see the problem, found a titanium ring too small for even Water to get through!! Never saw anything like it, my surgeon was THE BEST around with a stellar reputation, so this means nothing. Be forewarned this WILL change your life , and your teeth. Now disabled with many med problems from surgery, and dentures!! My teeth were beautiful!!. Not to scare anyone, but this was the gold standard surgery in 2005 with the best surgeon around

Well, had RNY "take down" 7/31/13 as stated I would. Spent 15 days in the hospital. I finally went home with PICC LINE and was receiving TPN, basically all my Protein and nutrition in an IV and carried a pump around until I violently started throwing up,chills, fever. Told by surgeon go to ER. So I got to enjoy being home for approximately 4days.

I don't get on here much , and I've gotten slow at emails but reply if any questions.

Mbrock, How are you doing now? have you gotten your health back? hope youre fine and doing well.