Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days postop and major heartburn...

Is it normal to have bad heartburn after surgery? I have been given Prevacid (I think that was it) to take once daily but still burp and hurt. :think Does this mean a slip? Should I call the doctor or should I just chill and ride the postop wave and see what happens?

Ugh, I hope I haven't made a mistake having this thing put around my gut. I am so depressed, hungry, and I hurt.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Lucy

Sometimes you can get heartburn from not eating enough and being hungry. Could that be a cause? I wouldn't worry about a slip, I don't think that's it at all. Give it a few more days, you're body is still healing and going through a lot of changes right now. Try not to be depressed and keep taking the Prevacid as prescribed. It'll get better.

Hi Lucy,

Certainly call your doc with any concerns. I did not have a problem with heartburn, but my surgeon did say it was a common occurrance. She suggested Maalox Multi, which would help with gas and heartburn. Good luck to you! I felt much much better the second week. My hiccups still hurt like the dickens though!

Maria

Thank you both for responding. I have been so worried about a slip. I will give it a few more days. I do go in for a followup appointment tomorrow and will see what the doc says then. I have been disappointed because they told me I would have NO pain (I have pain from the surgery and heartburn) and could return to work the next day (which was impossible as I stayed overnight in the hospital). I got home and the dang port site was oozing a large amount of discharge. No one told me that would happen. I guess it was a normal thing because I called the doctor. It would have been nice to now though since my stupid discharge papers said to call if I had increased discharge from the incision sites. I had NO discharge in the hospital so I got a bit fuh-reaked out! I am just bummed over my little tiny journey so far.

One more thing, I NEVER want to see Jello again in my life. LOLOL.

Thanks for being here all and hugs,

Lucy

Thank you both for responding. I have been so worried about a slip. I will give it a few more days. I do go in for a followup appointment tomorrow and will see what the doc says then. I have been disappointed because they told me I would have NO pain (I have pain from the surgery and heartburn) and could return to work the next day (which was impossible as I stayed overnight in the hospital). I got home and the dang port site was oozing a large amount of discharge. No one told me that would happen. I guess it was a normal thing because I called the doctor. It would have been nice to now though since my stupid discharge papers said to call if I had increased discharge from the incision sites. I had NO discharge in the hospital so I got a bit fuh-reaked out! I am just bummed over my little tiny journey so far.

One more thing, I NEVER want to see Jello again in my life. LOLOL.

Thanks for being here all and hugs,

Lucy

Right now I swear I would eat gravel if I could put it on a pizza or something, so I know what you mean on the Jello. I want to chew something so bad!!

Sorry your experience has been rough- I was banded one week ago today and have been having a rough time. the oozing stopped although one of my bangages then fell off then I had hubby put gauze and tape over it then I passed out because seeing the wee incision must have made me woozy so now I take baths (shallow ones) because I am afraid I will make more bandages fall off before my post op (Friday).

yep, it has been an experience!

I did find a Soup I like today, and ate it with a bit of sour cream mixed in, it was awesome (it was Creamy veggie Soup from Trader Joes, in a box).

good luck and be sure to let us know how your post op goes

OH LADIES!

I'm 8 days post op; and miserable. I've got it all over this board. I want relief from the annoying pain in my tummy and the gas pains! I just want 'normal' back.

sherilynn am I ever glad to hear I am not the only one having a rough time.

I did make it in to work for 3 hours today but came home for the rest of the day.

I am sore as well, and ready to feel like me again. But today at work a friend who was banded over a year ago was reassuring me that how I feel (completely :tired lousy) is normal and that it will all be worth it and I will look back on this as such a short time in my band journey.

that made me feel better, until I tried to lay down and felt like someone was tearing my incision open! :biggrin1:

I am glad to know i am not alone, and am really ready to feeeeellll betterr:o

Hey That Girl,

I'm up at this hour, trying to walk off the gas pains. Luckily, I'm not scheduled to go back to work until the 20th. Yup; taking all I can get. I want 'normal'...I just hope this won't be it!

how dreaded- I think your gas should be gone. Hmmmmm.... I wonder if it is something you are eating or if you are swallowing air (are you drinking through a straw). that is so terrible. :D

I know what you mean about not wanting how i feel now to be the new normal. I do like never being hungry but the pain- no thanks!

Is it normal to have bad heartburn after surgery? I have been given Prevacid (I think that was it) to take once daily but still burp and hurt. :think Does this mean a slip? Should I call the doctor or should I just chill and ride the postop wave and see what happens?

Ugh, I hope I haven't made a mistake having this thing put around my gut. I am so depressed, hungry, and I hurt.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Lucy

Hiya Lucy! I am 6 days from my surgery too and I have had serious heartburn pain this week - I was feeling very depressed and wondering if it would never go away - very uncomfortable sitting/standing no matter what I did. Some advice I got from my clinic is to drink Peppermint tea and believe it or not, it's working really well - so perhaps give that a go!

Hope you're feeling great soon!

Jude:)

Peppermint tea! Jolly! Thanks. I am now13 days out and am actually doing better. Still tender and some off-and-on heartburn but nothing like that crap in the beggining.

This place is great.

Lucy =D