Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I Deserve A Second Chance At This

I'm trying to get approval for conversion. I had lapband 10/2008. Have lost only 45lbs. I definitely didn't feel successful with the lapband. I have nothing bad to say about the band. I have several orthopedic issues with knees, feet and shoulders that have really shut me down on getting in much exercise. After each of the orthopedic surgery I thought ok this is the one that is going allow me to get on track with the lapband, but that hasn't been the case. I enjoy swimming but now that winters is coming all the outdoor pools are shut down. Probably going to join YMCA and get into their deep Water fitness classes. I really enjoyed them. Me Trying to work the weight machines is a real joke I cannot do the leg or the arm ones.It's quite frustrating. As I go through the 6 supervised diet visits I keep asking myself if I deserve to be permitted by my insurance pay for RNY after they already pain for lapbad for me? I was not a success with lapband so what says I can be good at losing through RNY? I get a bit depressed when I ask myself these questions. I take 12 differenet meds a day and am only 45. I'm tired of living my life this way and really want to get to a healthier weight, Do I deserve this second chance?? I guess is what Im asking. I have no one around me who has had lapband but know several who have had RNY

first of all YES you deserve this. I was approved for revision and will be having my lap band removed and rny on Nov. 7. I like you can't say anything bad about the band. I just would lose and gain the same 30 pounds or so and none of my health problems, like diabetes (type 2 insulin dependent/resistant) asthma, sleep apnea, pain from the inuslin, high blood pressure were resolved. I need the RNY to hopefully help correct some of these things that it seems only this surgery can do, So Yes you deserve it. If one treatment for an illness didn't work wouldn't you deserve another treatment. I know it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing, but really it is. But we do have to do our part too. I am not saying the lap band failed me as much as I am saying that between it and me we didn't get done what needed done, I pray for both of us that the RNY will be the answer. And that we will be wiser and more successful But again YES you DESERVE this. Big Hugs.

Thanks for the support Vicki, you make alot of good points. I guess I hadn't thought about RNY as being yet another treatment for the same problem that Lapband (and I ) didnt have alot of success at. I have maintained the weight that I have lost but just can't seem to get any further. I too am hopeful that RNY can help me get rid of the High Blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes and some of the orthopedic issues I have to deal with. I have already had my left knee replaced but with the weight still being an issue, I will end up needed the right done eventually. I have had two L foot surgeries to address my VERY flat feet and need the repair done to my R foot as well. I have trouble walking because of the issues with my feet so even something as simple as walking for exercise is quite painful. I also have one repaired torn rotator cuff and one that needs repaired . Because of all this orthopedic issues, I am not able to do the simple machines at the Y and that is very frustrating. I love to swim so that is my only form of exercise at this point. With summer now gone I have to try to get to the Y when they have their open swim which is tough with my work schedule. I am going in for my third out of 6 required supervised diet visits in November and have started some of the required pre-op testing in hopes of my Insurance okaying the revision next spring. I just keep questioning myself....

Looks like you don't have a long wait now for your surgery. Wishing you the best of luck with that. I look forward to hearing how you progess post op :)

I am looking to convert as well. I thought about the sleeve but my Dr office called yesterday and told me that my insurance will not cover the sleeve but they will cover the bypass. I am also still a diabetic with high blood pressure and joint pain. I thought the band would help me get rid of that but it didn't happen. I had some issues with the band and now it's no longer working for me. I have to ask for another chance too.

I am looking to convert as well. I thought about the sleeve but my Dr office called yesterday and told me that my insurance will not cover the sleeve but they will cover the bypass. I am also still a diabetic with high blood pressure and joint pain. I thought the band would help me get rid of that but it didn't happen. I had some issues with the band and now it's no longer working for me. I have to ask for another chance too.

This is my exact story, The band did not help with any of my medical issues, Even after losing 30 pounds Still needed so much insulin and the weight would just come back on and bring a few friends. I am putting all my eggs in this RNY basket and praying that this surgery will help me with the diabetes and asthma and several other health issues. Even pre op I have lost 15 pounds and this morning my blood sugar was 300. So I take a shot and hope it goes down. But take a shot and my body rebels in painful ways. It is a mess. Just so tired of being sick and tired.

@Vicki, I know how you feel. I know that I need to make that call and say OK, Let's do it! But my legs and arms are skinny already LOL. I'm afraid of losing too much but I've gotta do what I've gotta do for my health.I am still obese. My family have a bad history with diabetes. I have a brother in the hospital right now due to it. As my weight start to creep back up, I'm worrying again because I was taken off two medications. I'm thankful that BC/BS will give me another chance to get it all the way right this time.

Yes you do deserve a second chance the band has not had great long term results. I lost 70 pounds with it seven years ago but now mine slipped and prolapsed and I am going in on November 14th for revision to bypass. Do it for your health I am scared too.