Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control Pills

I noticed a few people posting that their doctor required them to go off the pill before their surgery. Does anyone know why? When I originally went to see my doctor about the surgery I was not on the pill but went on the pill after I saw him. I didn't think it was any big deal but now that I've seen a few post I'm getting worried. My surgery is on Oct. 10. I plan on calling the doctor Monday but I was wondering what everybody elses doctors told them. Was there anyone still on the pill when you had your surgery? I'm wondering if I should stop taking them now? I just hope he doesn't cancel my surgery.

My doctor never said anything to me and he knew I was on the pill, being on the pill increases chances of blood clots so that might be why some surgeons don't want there pt on them. Best thing to do is what ya had planned and call the doc on Monday? But if they didn't stress it in yer pre op class/ appt I wouldn't be to worried they would delay your surgery. Hope all goes well for ya let us know what they say?

Thank you much! I have been sitting here worried to death. Nurse TAB have you had your surgery yet? If so, did u just keep taking your pill at the hospital?

I noticed a few people posting that their doctor required them to go off the pill before their surgery. Does anyone know why? When I originally went to see my doctor about the surgery I was not on the pill but went on the pill after I saw him. I didn't think it was any big deal but now that I've seen a few post I'm getting worried. My surgery is on Oct. 10. I plan on calling the doctor Monday but I was wondering what everybody elses doctors told them. Was there anyone still on the pill when you had your surgery? I'm wondering if I should stop taking them now? I just hope he doesn't cancel my surgery.

My doctor said for 2 reasons:

They may cause some weight gain

We can't absorb all of the pill so it's not very effective

Sent from my Galaxy S III using RNYTalk

Im not on birth control right now but my surgeon insist that i get on it but says wait til after surgery. It is because the hormones thicken your blood and there is a higher chance for blood clots. Also my ob/gyn doesn't recommended the pill after gastric bypass cause of the whole malabsorption factor cause the pill may not be as effective. So just call your Dr and see what he says about taking it now and also if you should consider a different form of birth control. I'm going to try implanon, its an implant that goes in your arm and it only has progesterone if your concerned about hormones. Which I am I prefer a less as possible. And you can take it out when ever. Good luck with everything.

I'm 3 weeks post op and yes I took my birth control with me and took it there. They never said anything to me about my pills being less effective after surgery if I got preg right now I would be pretty upset, being preg and trying to lose weight don't go we'll together plus I don't wanna deplete a child of nutrition cuz I'm unable to absorb food.< /p>