Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Easy Way.......

So....have heard from so many people that this is the easy way . It truthfully pisses me off. I didn't tell everyone I was having the surgery so I was talking to my sister which is normally very supportive but she said when they ask how you lost the weight are you gonna lie are you going to tell them you did the easy way out. I told her but this is the hardest saying that I've ever done in my life. I never realized how much food was apart of my life. Does anybody else have this problem......

This is not easy!!

People that say that kind of stuff need to take a step back and THINK.

It is like saying they'd rather see you continue failing by doing things "the right way" and have you remain obese and unhealthy.

Also, surgery isn't a way out. It can all be undone just like non surgical weight loss. It's a tool to help you get on the right track.

If I were you, I'd tell my sister that is like saying she wants you to live a shorter life riddled with health problems. She should want you to succeed, whatever path you take.

Amen' date=' I read, I researched nothing prepared me for this. I don't regret the surgery. But can anyone tell me will I ever be able to enjoy a meal again. I am six weeks past surgery. I can't eat any meat, I sip Water all day. I haven't had any problems but I so tired of puréed soft foods. Someone tell me please this will get better?[/quote']

They do get better. This stage will soon be a memory and you will look back with a feeling of pride that you made it through the tough times!

So....have heard from so many people that this is the easy way . It truthfully pisses me off. I didn't tell everyone I was having the surgery so I was talking to my sister which is normally very supportive but she said when they ask how you lost the weight are you gonna lie are you going to tell them you did the easy way out. I told her but this is the hardest saying that I've ever done in my life. I never realized how much food was apart of my life. Does anybody else have this problem......

I figure people say this because they are jealous of the commitment we have to a healthy life style. It is in no way easy to stand up and say I am tired of getting the same results over and over and going no where. When people ask me about rny and about the pain associated with it I am always honest. I tell them the pain of surgery was nothing to the mental toughness I have had to have. Your mind plays so many tricks on you during this journey, and I still find myself battling about what I am eating and doing. Just keep your eyes on the prize and stay true to yourself!!

If an alcoholic had to serve and prepare alcohol for others and go to bars and watch their loved ones consume their favorite drinks while remaining sober would that be easy? Just switch us out for the alcoholic and food for drinks and this is what we go through all the time.

Watching my family eat chocolate cake from the best restaurant in town the other night (on my birthday!!!) was not easy but worth it.

There are many challenging moments like missing the annual Greek food festival bc there is no way i want to watch my friends eat gyros and baklava. And right now I can't sleep bc I've got a piece of chicken stuck and it hurts!

With all due respect to all on this forum!!

I'm now about 5 months post op and have been thru ups and downs.. I hate to be devils advocate but in all honesty from my part,, I went ahead with this surgery not because it was the hardest way out but because it was a realistic and relatively easier way out.. And most importantly an effective way of weight loss..

Lets all be honest we all definitely did not choose this method as the hardest way out..

It is one of the easy way outs!!

Think for a moment,, if dieting and exercising alone was the easier way,,. would you not have gone that route??

Weight loss surgery is nothing more then a helping tool for weight loss.. A tool that assist us in loosing weight a tool that gives us that little extra push and hope that weight loss is now attainable.. If anyone wants to tell me I took the easy way out so be it!! Cause in all honesty I did..

Although rny for me has been one of the hardest things I've ever done ,, I know deep down that without it there's a very good chance that I would of failed at regular dieting..

Personally I had to come to a humbling realization that I did not have what it took to loose the weight by myself. I came to conclusion that for me to loose weight I had to admit to myself that I had a problem accept the fact that I did this to myself and that I and only I was to blame..

I did take the easiest way out and am proud to say it.. I've accepted what it was and what it is now.. I feel I'm blessed to have been given this gift.

Has it been easy not for a second!!

Was it worth it???

Definitely

Was it the hard way out??

Not even close!!

This weight loss surgery has made it easier and most importantly feasible!!

Cause loosing naturally was much much harder..

Remember this is just my thoughts and feelings and in no way am I preaching to anyone.

We're all in this together!!

No disrespect taken. I completely understand your view, bucklandman.

My problem is with the connotations of the phrase "easy way out." When has that phrase ever been used without disrespect coming across?

It isn't because it is "easier" that weight loss surgery works. It's a complicated mix of behavioral and physical changes that are forced on the body. Just because weight loss is more often accomplished with weight loss surgery doesn't mean it's easier, it just means its more effective.

I totally agree this is NOT the easy way at all. I'm 3 weeks post op and some days I think what did I do? I miss food and I miss drinking a 12 oz glass in minutes not hours! Lol I thought I knew but I had no idea.

Me too I will be 3 weeks on Wednesday....I miss drinking and I miss my relationship with food.....as I know it is what got me here .....but it truly is hard....my stomach hurts when I drink or eat...... But besides that I think I'm doing great but it is the hardest thing I have ever done

Without exception, folks who categorize weight loss surgery as "easy" are completely missing the point. "Easy" or "hard" are totally irrelevant. Obesity is a progressive, degenerative disease that is the second biggest cause of premature and preventable death in the U.S. And like any other potentially life threatening disease, intelligent people consider treatment options in terms of effectiveness. Period.

Gastric bypass surgery is the most effective treatment currently known to medical science for obesity AND more than 20 very serious diseases associated with obesity.

The very same people who are ridiculous enough to stereotype bariatric surgery as "the easy way out" would be the first ones in line for any effective treatment, easy or hard, for any other life threatening disease. Why does this blatant, grossly unfair prejudice exist?

Anyone who has never dealt with a BMI of 30 or greater (the clinical definition of "obesity") is absolutely convinced that diet and exercise are all that is needed. And for those who are "overweight" (clinically defined as a BMI over 25 and under 30), that is often true. They have often been able to lose meaningful amounts of weight by changing their diet and increasing their exercise. So they conclude that if they can do it anyone can. But some don't stop there. They judge others that have not been successful with the whole "eat less move more" thing as lacking willpower, or being weak, or making poor choices. How pompous and egotistical and just down right foolish can some people be?

The failure rate of "diet and exercise" in treating "obesity" is almost 100%. It does not work. It never has. More importantly, science is just now beginning to understand why -

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-why-diet-and-exercise-is-not-a-treatment-for-obesity.html

So the next time someone tells you that gastric bypass is the easy way out, you might consider asking them to suggest ANY more effective treatment. Name one solution that meets or exceeds the well documented results of gastric bypass in terms of overall success, in terms of total weight loss, in terms of the time required to achieve the goal weight, in terms of reduction or elimination of a whole shopping list of comorbidities, and in terms of long term sustained weight loss. Easy, hard, fast, slow – totally irrelevant. Name one more effective treatment for this progressive and potentially life threatening disease. It cannot be done. Because it does not exist. Nuff said.

Not sure if you get dr oz repeats, but he talked with Lisa lampaneli discussing the gastric sleeve and people taking the easy way out in many peoples eyes.

DLCoggin hit the nail on the head. Great info.

Not sure if you get dr oz repeats' date=' but he talked with Lisa lampaneli discussing the gastric sleeve and people taking the easy way out in many peoples eyes.[/quote']

What was the message that show sent/what did people say?

What was the message that show sent/what did people say?

She said it was difficult to get over her addiction to food. She said it was a tool not a cure. She said she was having to retrain her brain not to eat when she had any type of emotions.!dr oz asked her why she decided to do the surgery. Her response was when everything else had failed. I felt like she got the message across that this is not the easy way out.

Ask them if the go to they gym or if they run or exercise ect... This surgery is a tool we choose to utilize just like others use there tools to utilize for there bodies. And honestly what ever makes you happy is what matters most. I would just walk away