Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am dng well, 7 weeks post op and down 60 lbs!!!!!! 28 more until im under 300!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo. Anyhow, it is common to have depression following rapid weight loss as well as acne, well I have both!!!! I am seeing my PCP in the morning to be put on some anti depressants and regulate these mood swings. Any suggestions on do and donts of meds for this. I know some increase weight gain ect.. So I thought I would ask the you all

Thanks in advance

I've heard that it is common because we store hormones and other chemicals in our fat. As we lose it some of that is released into our systems. Good for you for seeing your PCP to figure it out :)

That is awesome!! Are you excersizing? Is that all post op or pre op as well? I take Xanax for my anxiety and I feel great. No side effects

That is all st op besides 16 lb on the 5 day liquid diet. Also, yes I am exercising since week 4, 5 days weekly. I don't want the excess skin so I'm working my butt off internally haha

That is awesome!! Are you excersizing? Is that all post op or pre op as well? I take Xanax for my anxiety and I feel great. No side effects

Also, Xanax is for anxiety, not depression. :)

Congrats on your weight loss :)

I had Roux-en-y on 8/13/12......5 weeks out and have lost 26 lbs. Not exercising like I should and have been so depressed I can't stand myself!

I was taking Cymbalta for depression for several years before the surgery.

Surgeon said to stop all meds the day before the surgery and on release from hospital was told to contact my PCP for follow-up on meds. No one discussed the effect of WLS on all my medications before the surgery.

Since we cannot swallow a pill or capsule, and Cymbalta capsule cannot be opened, I opted to not take it anymore. Big mistake. PCP recommended seeing a Psychiatrist, who prescribed Prozac, which will have to be crushed or opened before use.

After researching on the web I found that Acupunture can help with depression. I got an appt to see an acupuncturist for treatment and herbal remedy. Had my first treatment today. Crushed herbs and put them in hot Water to melt. Tastes like herb tea. Feel a little better this evening after only 1 treatment, and will have to wait to see how the herbs help the crying and depression.

I hear from WLS message boards that it takes 3 to 4 months to get over the sad feelings, but hope to kick start that with acupuncture and herbs. Looking forward to the day when I am glad that I had the surgery. Several family members had Roux-en-y but none of them mentioned the sadness after surgery.

Good luck and let us know what you find regarding taking antidepressants.

I take prozac liquid everyday, seems to be doing the trick, not the greatest tasting stuff but heck of alot better than crushing or opening any capsules. I hope you find something that works. :-)

I have been taking pills since I got home from the surgery. I guess every doctor is different:( I wish you the best of luck with acupuncture! You will have to let us know how it goes after a few more sessions. I am curious.

I took cymbalt before surgery and still do now. No problems swallowing it.

I have been taking pills since I got home from the surgery. I guess every doctor is different:( I wish you the best of luck with acupuncture! You will have to let us know how it goes after a few more sessions. I am curious.

How big are the pills you take? I am 13 days post op and have to take antibiotics for an infected incision. The on call doctor (not a bariatric surgeon) prescribed Keflex capsules. I opened one tonight and put the powder in yogurt and it was awful. I gagged. I take Zyrtec and Pepcid with no problems, but the capsules are bigger. Just wondering if they might get stuck. ??

My surgeon prescribed me some big capsules to take starting first day out of surgery. It was ok going down just followed it with some warm broth to help melt the capsule.

surgeversary 7/24/12, highest weight 267, surgery weight 262, current weight 216

I think capsules are ok, it is the tablets that are hard to go down.

surgeversary 7/24/12, highest weight 267, surgery weight 262, current weight 216

I think capsules are ok' date=' it is the tablets that are hard to go down.

surgeversary 7/24/12, highest weight 267, surgery weight 262, current weight 216[/quote']

Thanks! My surgeon said I could take Tylenol, but these are bigger. I will try to take one tomorrow. I like your idea of warm broth afterwards.

You might try holding the capsule in your mouth for just a little bit so that it starts to soften, You may get a bit of the medicine taste in your mouth but not as bad as opening it and eating it was. I have avoided swallowing pills ever since I was banded seven years ago. Some I open up into crystal light and take an ounce of liguid with the medicine inside the caps. some I hold in my mouth for a bit. And for antibiotics I always ask for liquid. I feel like a little kid sometimes taking my PINK antibiotic. but oh well. Right now I have an abscessed tooth and I had the dentist give me liquid keflex, they had no problem. They just have to figure out the right dosing for an adult.

I take effexor capsules every day. My surgeon told me to just open the capsule & swallow the granules. My capsule is pretty big tho.

New Life Started 07/24/12