Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op veggie question

Hello,

I'm very new to this forum. I'm getting banded on 3/21/07 by Dr. Corrigan McBride. I'm very nervous because I keep hearing different things like: shoulder pain, port pain, GERD, BPing (whatever that is), vomiting, not being able to eat solids but it's uncomfortable. It's making me very nervous :phanvan .

Well, the new one I have heard from my pyschologist is that she has found the lapband patient are having a hard time with GERD when they eat shredded meat, cauliflower & broccoli or anything green and leafy. These are two of the my favorite veggies :hungry: .

How many of you out there are experiencing this?

I hope I'm making the right decision with this because I don't want to not be able to eat any meat for the rest of my life either :think . How much meat do you normally get to eat at a meal? Just curious.

I also do not want be uncomfortable my whole life either with pain either.

I need some reassurance I'm making the right decision.

Thanks

"Big Trouble"

Hey Big Trouble,

I can GUARANTEE, if you take the time and read through the posts on LBT, you will find the answer to all of these particular questions. The 'search' option is priceless!

Welcome to LBT!

Don't be nervous...this is EXCITING!

I love cauliflower and brocolli......have eaten cauliflower almost every day for the past week. I'm 2 weeks post op and haven't tried brocolli yet but plan to real soon.

As for the pain...everyone is different. I haven't needed any pain killers since I woke up from surgery. Don't have a clue where my port even is! My stomach just felt like sore muscles for a day or two. The gas pains weren't much fun but they only lasted for about 4 or 5 days and even that wasn't horrible wrenching pain, just a lot of pressure that was really uncomfortable. But then again, some people don't have that!

PB'ing is productive burping....haven't had that either.

As for how much to eat, right now I can eat anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food, depending on what it is. For lunch today I tried, for the first time, a bean burrito from Taco Bell, ate better than half and decided to quit.....was plenty full and have had no problems yet!! Good luck with making a decision, read the posts on the website, I did for months before I decided to go ahead with the surgery. Ask any and all questions you may have to help you become better informed!

BT -

Congrats on your date!

No problems for me at ALL with any veggies or with meat. You may need to avoid DRY meat - but who likes that? You want tender meats, anyway.

Cooked veggies go down pretty easy and raw ones just have to be chewed very well.

What you want to avoid is fibrous veggies - like celery - or peel off some of the excess Fiber... like peel the tough broccoli stems or pull some of the "thread" off the celery.

If you take some minimal precautions - you will be able to eat most foods. The big trick is to really chew everything to death - even if it seems soft or easy to eat.

PB = Productive Burp. If you eat something too fast - if you eat too much - if you don't chew enough; you could experience the dreaded Productive Burp. It seems like you need to burp - but food comes up when you do.

It is an uncomfortable sensation - and is not recommended on a daily basis. Just eat slow. chew, chew, chew. Pause between bites. Stop eating once you cease to feel hunger. And throw out the concept of "FULL" - it has no future in your life.

If you follow the basic banster rules above, you shouldn't have too many instances of PB.

Hugs and Good Luck!

hello, nope no problems with salads,brocoli,cauliflower or meat, although I got meat(chicken steak) stuck once,but it was only my fault cause I didnt bite it properly.its all about bitting.

good luck to you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches