Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any info on Drs. Duckett/Oweis, Toledo OH

Hi, has anyone had experience with Dr. Duckett or Dr. Oweis in Maumee/Toledo Ohio? They are doing surgeries at St. Luke's Hospital.

Thanks!!

Hi Lisa,

I was originally going to have Dr Oweiss as my doctor. I live here in Toledo so it would have been very convienent however, my insurance (blue cross, blue sheild) no longer used them as providers. I jumped through all their hoops (pysh exam) etc. Then when I got my insurance approval the nurse casually mentioned that I should check my insurance again! What a shock. I had to start all over. I was banded Jan 18th at the Barix Clinic in Ypsalanti Mich. If I can be of any help to you please let me know! Do you live in the Toledo area? good luck

Congratulations on finally getting your band! How are you doing? It looks like you've only had it for about 2 weeks? I'm a little worried about the pain . . . Was there anything that happened that was unexpected?

Thanks for your reply, Lisa

Lisa,

It really wasn't painfull. I told them I don't do well with pain meds so I didn't take anything more exciting than Tylenol. I did have problems about a week later. I got dehydrated and had to go to the hospital to get fluids intravenously. I'm feeling really good now. I just got off liquids and am now eating pureed and soft foods. You wouldn't think scrambled eggs would be that good. Feel free to ask any questions that you think I could help you with.

I'm glad you're feeling well now! I live about an hour east of Toledo in Norwalk, Ohio. I worry a little bit about being that far from the surgeons in case of a problem. How far do you live from where you were banded in Michigan? I have a ton of questions/worries! Do you know how often people have problems with slipped bands? How common is erosion and why do they think it happens? Did you ask if any part of the band system has metal (in case you need an MRI or similar testing later in life)? Did anyone mention a mortality rate for the surgery? Those are just a few that I can think of now!:P I'm 37 and have a BMI of 41. I've been at this weight for about a year and a half, kind of waiting since I was denied in '05 due to being at a 40 BMI for less than a year. I've struggled with my weight all my life, every time I lost weight I would regain with a little extra. I got the worst during the last 4 years. Some of my family members think I should be able to just 'try harder' to eat right and exercise on my own to lose the weight- mainly because they're afraid of the surgery. But I'm so sick of losing it just to gain it back, often quickly. I'm living on Advil for pain in my knees and feet, and I know that can't be good for me long term. I have about 100 lbs to lose to get back to my marriage/pre-pregnancy weights. But it's more about feeling better than about looks at this point. I just don't feel well, I have pre-diabetes, and I don't have enough energy to keep up with my two kids.

Thanks for 'listening'!! -Lisa

Lisa I know how you feel. I was 100 lbs overweight as well. I'm 55 and I so wish I had the surgery at your age. My knees had to be replaced about 3 1/2 years ago because of osterarthitis. I woulld like the time back I spent hiding behind kids and potted plants in photos. I know all aspects of my life have suffered because of my weight. My husband and kids are all slender and I can't help to feel out of the loop. I have lost the 100 lbs before only to gain it back like you. I just think the band will give me the willpower I lack...

My surgery was about one hour from home. There is no metal that I know of in the band. I'm allergic to lots of stuff so I questioned the doctor pretty thoroughly. He said no one has ever been allergic. Also the mortality rate is pretty much nonexistant. As for slippage and erosion these are very rare occurances as well. It's something like 1% of all bands done. They keep a close eye I you for quite awhile. I'm comfortable with the odds as heartaches, diabetes, hypertension are a lot riskier. If you have any other questions I'm always happy to help. I'm now down 23 lbs I'm happy with how things are going, I'll keep you informed! Thanks for listening.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I wondered about taking pills after getting banded. I have been taking an antidepressant for several years. . . Is it possible to take them during the liquid stages? Also, do you think I'll need to wean off of them before undergoing anesthesia? You mentioned that you had a problem where you became dehydrated. Was that due to vomiting, or just being unable to take in enough liquid? Thanks again, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

They told me I could take pills no larger than a m&m. I don't think taking antidrepressants would be a problem with anesthesia. I thought I was doing enough liquids but I was vomiting for two days. I also was constipated (didn't know it, xrays told on me). Had a lot of air or gas or something in my colon. So I guess that is what started the problem. I felt great after iv fluids and a laxative. Sorry to be so graphic. lol When do you think your insurance will give you the go ahead? Really the surgery isn't that bad. Most people have no complications, I am always the weird one. Would I do it again, absolutely!

Let's talk again soon,

Sue

Hello Ladies. I was looking up info on Dr Duckett and found this thread. I am from Toledo and have just started the process of getting the Lap Band. I went to the informational meeting at St. Lukes last week and Dr Duckett lead the meeting. Looks like that is who I will be going with.