Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Months And Frustrated

Hi. I'm two months post op and I barely eat. I throw up a lot but not everything. The nurse has ruled out a stricture because I can keep some food and drink down.

I feel upset to my stomach all the time with what ever I put in it. It gives me nausea. Smells get to me too. I can't stand the smell of some foods, perfumes, etc. I'm not pregnant.

My weight loss has slowed down. I'm still losing but only two pounds a week. I did lose a lot on the pre op diet but I'm unhappy with my current results.

My nutritionist doesn't recommend working out until I can up my food intake. If I force myself to eat I become sick.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice. I'm told it gets better but wow somedays I regret I did this to myself.

I was told to up my cal intake was to low and was in starvation mode. I was getting maybe 300-500 cals a day and maybe 40-50 g of Protein. I have tryed to up my cal intake but when food smells or just looking at food makes you sick it's hard but you have to try. That's what is going on with me.

Hope you get yours figured out

Good luck

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I was told to up my cal intake was to low and was in starvation mode. I was getting maybe 300-500 cals a day and maybe 40-50 g of Protein. I have tryed to up my cal intake but when food smells or just looking at food makes you sick it's hard but you have to try. That's what is going on with me.

Hope you get yours figured out

Good luck

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I'm sorry to hear. It sounds like we are going through the same thing. I think I'm in starvation mode too.

I have felt bad after meals when I didn't slow down what I was eating. Are you making sure that you eat a bite and chew chew chew, put utensil down and wait a minute, then repeat? Eating too fast makes me feel horrible. I try to make my meals of 2oz last almost 30 minutes.

I have felt bad after meals when I didn't slow down what I was eating. Are you making sure that you eat a bite and chew chew chew' date=' put utensil down and wait a minute, then repeat? Eating too fast makes me feel horrible. I try to make my meals of 2oz last almost 30 minutes.[/quote']

Thanks. Yes usually I take quite a long time to eat. I have been sick once or twice from eating too fast...but most of the time I eat so slowly because of how sick I feel when the food hits my stomach.

I feel like I have the stomach flu a lot.

Finally a club I can join!! My calories are 59 to 250 and 20 grams of Protein. I can't even exercise until I get my food up. My nutritionist begged me to eat a few Cheetos - crazy right? I get super full really fast and it stays that way all day. Even worse with Water - everyday I'm 1 drink away from dehydration.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Did you get a follow up endoscopy. Even if its not a stricture, it could be something else. I would advocate for an endo asap.

Finally a club I can join!! My calories are 59 to 250 and 20 grams of Protein. I can't even exercise until I get my food up. My nutritionist begged me to eat a few Cheetos - crazy right? I get super full really fast and it stays that way all day. Even worse with Water - everyday I'm 1 drink away from dehydration.

Y cheetos?

Hey we are all on the same bench! I'm only getting in max 500 cal a day and only about 40-50 grams of Protein. I drink all my Water and lately it has to be just water nothing with flavor. I have been on the dehydration side and its not fun. My Dr wasn't worried about the calorie # as much as eating and snacking constantly... Healthy of course. Even if its just a string cheese. So that has been my mission eat something every 2 hours. 7 almonds has 7 grams of protein!

Some pouches are more "trigger happy" than others. And everyone heals at different rates. You didn't specify what doesn't induce vomiting but you may want to focus as much as possible on getting all the Protein you can. Try to get 100g a day for at least several days. My surgeon requires her patients to get 100g a day all the time. The body uses protein a lot for repairing and replacing damaged tissue. Protein may also help jump start your metabolism which often results in your body beginning to burn stored fuel more quickly. Losing two pounds a week is an excellent, healthy rate for weight loss. You didn't say how much you've lost already but if you continue to lose two pounds a week for the next ten months, you can add 80 pounds to what you've already lost! Any thoughts of regret will be a distant memory long before that!

Some pouches are more "trigger happy" than others. And everyone heals at different rates. You didn't specify what doesn't induce vomiting but you may want to focus as much as possible on getting all the Protein you can. Try to get 100g a day for at least several days. My surgeon requires her patients to get 100g a day all the time. The body uses Protein a lot for repairing and replacing damaged tissue. Protein may also help jump start your metabolism which often results in your body beginning to burn stored fuel more quickly. Losing two pounds a week is an excellent' date=' healthy rate for weight loss. You didn't say how much you've lost already but if you continue to lose two pounds a week for the next ten months, you can add 80 pounds to what you've already lost! Any thoughts of regret will be a distant memory long before that![/quote']

Also, if you lose a little slower it might help avoid loose skin issues. I was thinking, you're really susceptible to irritation from the Vitamins. Like I haven't had my surgery yet (Thursday) but even so, if I dontbhav enough in my stomach when I take my Vitamins I get really nauseated.

Thanks everyone. Sadly its Protein I can't keep down...cheese, fish, chicken, shrimp and beef. One min it stays down and the next meal it doesn't.

I have lost close to 100 pounds....about 70 of that pre op and 30 post op. I just wish that after two months post op I was losing more than 30 but I'm still proud of my loss.

I've stopped Vitamins for a trial as recommended by my nurse. Sadly I'm still sick despite stopping them.

Nurses can't diagnose a stricture. I went to the hospital with mine, and forced em to scope me. I was write. Make them look....if you can't keep food or liquids down its a stricture most likely.

Nurses can't diagnose a stricture. I went to the hospital with mine' date=' and forced em to scope me. I was write. Make them look....if you can't keep food or liquids down its a stricture most likely.[/quote']

I can keep some foods and liquids down. I haven't thrown up since Saturday so I don't know if it's a stricture or dumping. I don't want to go to the hospital unless I haven't kept food down for 24 hrs.