Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omar The Tent Maker

Have been a big girl for over 20 years... Wondering what my fashion sense should be without the tent covering up all the fat... I don't know why it's so scary to me. I guess I've worn black pants and over sized tops for so long I don't know which direction to go.

Check out curvaceousboutique.com

I could have written this. Black pants and oversized tops here too.

Have been a big girl for over 20 years... Wondering what my fashion sense should be without the tent covering up all the fat... I don't know why it's so scary to me. I guess I've worn black pants and over sized tops for so long I don't know which direction to go.

That's one of the joys of this surgery - discovering your style.

I found that I love bright colors, and summer dresses. I use a purse most of the time now. I have always been a Tom boy, and have developed a dress addiction.

You may still like black pants. They're classic and versatile and they hide stains (think kids, pets, grease on car door jambs). BUT instead of loose-fitting form-hiding stretch slacks I now buy ankle length slim-fit slacks for work - they look great with pretty sandals, high heals, ballet flats, and boots. I wear shirts in a variety of colors and fabric textures. I found that I love the look of tailored tops and trendy jewelry.

I love to go out to different stores and try on clothes. I don't buy much, I just try them on (something that used to bring me to tears and send me to the nearest bakery to drown my sorrows in pastry). It's a great way to find your style, see what looks good on you, and determine your current size. I find it to be a great ego boost! Sometimes if I love something, I'll buy it a size or two smaller. Unlike times in the past, this time I KNOW I'll get there! :-)

Terry...Great post!!! Very encouraging. I can't wait to be on the other side of this...nightmare. I can't tell you the last time I bought clothes and tried them on. The dressing rooms arent made for large people and it just seems like too much "work" to be disappointed when the item doesnt fit or, does fit...but nothing ever really looks good. I avoid full length mirrors like the plague and have for many years. I can't wait to feel good physically and look so much better as well. I never carried a small cute purse. I've always felt too large to carry something so tiny. With a large suitcase purse, I kinda feel I can hide behind its monstrosity in a sense...plus plenty of room to carry some snacks...which I dont do anymore BTW. Counting the days until December. Can I sleep til then??

Terry...Great post!!! Very encouraging. I can't wait to be on the other side of this...nightmare. I can't tell you the last time I bought clothes and tried them on. The dressing rooms arent made for large people and it just seems like too much "work" to be disappointed when the item doesnt fit or' date=' does fit...but nothing ever really looks good. I avoid full length mirrors like the plague and have for many years. I can't wait to feel good physically and look so much better as well. I never carried a small cute purse. I've always felt too large to carry something so tiny. With a large suitcase purse, I kinda feel I can hide behind its monstrosity in a sense...plus plenty of room to carry some Snacks...which I dont do anymore BTW. Counting the days until December. Can I sleep til then??[/quote']

I remember being in the dressing room about 5-6 months post op and actually saying "nope this is too big". Wow that was such a great feeling and something I had never said before. You will have so much fun!

When I had lost my weight I loved shopping! It took quite a while though to get myself to buy the things in misses. I would automatically be drawn to the styles in the big girls section. The clothing style is different and it takes a while to realize that you can wear them now! It's a lot of fun and I can't wait to get back there myself because I'm back in the world of extra large. Hopefully not for long. Enjoy shopping in misses, it's awesome!