Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was curious to know when you first experienced dumping syndrome, how did you know it was dumping syndrome?, how far post-op were you?, and what were your specific symptoms?

I'm just curious to know what to look out for...

My stomach was making noise & I felt horrible & I felt something was going to come out if my butt & I was 1 month & I had a skinny cow ice cream and never touch it again.

My body's form of dumping was a spit up of very foamy syliva (sorry for being so graphic), and feeling like total crap for an hour and up to 12 hours. I got this from not chewing my food properly, and after this happened a few times you better believe I CHEW-CHEW-CHEW-CHEW !!! lesson learned !!!

My body's form of dumping was a spit up of very foamy syliva (sorry for being so graphic)' date=' and feeling like total crap for an hour and up to 12 hours. I got this from not chewing my food properly, and after this happened a few times you better believe I CHEW-CHEW-CHEW-CHEW !!! lesson learned !!![/quote']

I thought dumping was when you poop almost watery? I vomit all the time at least once a week.

I never experienced dumping until I was about seven months post-op. Even then I did not have any vomiting. I ate some red grapes and the light headedness hit me about an hour later. Most folks (about 2/3) experience dumping within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal. The other 1/3 don't have any symptoms for one to three hours.

How do you know it's dumping? Dumping is caused by the rapid movement (dumping) of food from the pouch into the small intestine. The symptoms are thought to be caused by the dumping of large amounts of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars which causes your blood sugar to crash (hypoglycemia). Once you understand what dumping is and you connect it with what you ate, pretty easy to put the two together and know that it's dumping. In the case of my grapes, I was curious so I checked my blood sugar which was 50 - the insulin released by my body caused my sugar to crash and the light headedness followed.

Dumping is not very pleasant but in the overall scheme of things, it is not considered serious from a medical perspective in all but the rarest of cases. It's also worth noting that you might experience dumping with a particular food but eat the same food weeks or months later and have no problem. So you may want to try some foods periodically.

Dumping for me is when i eat either too many car bs or sugar. You get heart palpitations, cold sweats and u feel like u are going to pass out and u need to lay down because u r so tired. The few times i have thrown up in 8 yrs being post op is when I did not chew enough or when the food has been to dry i.e., chicken breast.

Forgot about the symptoms. There is a pretty wide variety of symptoms that may occur but you could experience one or more of the following.

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Diarrhea
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Fainting (in rare cases)

Thank you all for your input.

The reason I had asked was because I'm 10 days post op and I've been following my diet to a T (except the Protein, I've been really having a hard time there). I have a box of SF Popsicles and I have my little cousin staying with me this week so I'd gotten her a box of regular sugared Popsicles. Well I guess my grandma assumed that they were the same because she emptied the reg pops in my SF box and of course when I went to grab one it was a regular one. All I kept thinking was wow this SF pop is yummy. Then of course a little while after i found of what happened and come to find out I'd just had 30g of sugar in one sitting. I was waiting for the dumping to start. But 3 hours later and I'm as fine as I was prior to eating the pop.

Is this weird?

What great info every one, I'm glad to have read it I'm only 2 weeks post op and was wondering the same thing

You will know when your dumping, for me it's a pressure feeling in my chest, or your BM is like baby's poop, or the clear foamy vomit, I vomited for the first time today driving because the women at Dunkin doughnuts put honey in my hot tea :(

Thank you all for your input.

The reason I had asked was because I'm 10 days post op and I've been following my diet to a T (except the Protein, I've been really having a hard time there). I have a box of SF Popsicles and I have my little cousin staying with me this week so I'd gotten her a box of regular sugared Popsicles. Well I guess my grandma assumed that they were the same because she emptied the reg pops in my SF box and of course when I went to grab one it was a regular one. All I kept thinking was wow this SF pop is yummy. Then of course a little while after i found of what happened and come to find out I'd just had 30g of sugar in one sitting. I was waiting for the dumping to start. But 3 hours later and I'm as fine as I was prior to eating the pop.

Is this weird?

Not at all. Not everyone experiences dumping.

Sounds ok. It is a little different for everyone. I dumped from using truvia which is sugar free but if your body thinks its sugar then you could be in trouble. I also dumped from diluted apple juice. Some are more sensitive I guess.

Before I have dumping I have heavy pressure in my stomach and feel very sick. Then I just curl up and lay down until it comes out.