Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The gas being talked about.....

My flight from SAN to ATL is a little over 4 hours long.

To be blunt, which end is the gas escaping from? I can control a burp here and there, but I really don't want to be stuck on a plane with the gas coming out the other end!! Or is it just gas that stays in the tummy until you take a Gas-X?

My fellow passengers thank you for your advice :confused:

Mine came out the rear end. Fortunately, I didn't have a plane ride to deal with. However, it didn't really smell like a fart until about 4 days out. Just my experience. I've read where others say they burped alot. I haven't been able to do that at all. Hope it goes well for you!

Hi,

I took a lot of Gas X and Mylanta Multi, and to be honest that didn't do as well as I expected. It felt like someone took a balloon pump and inflated me with gas that wouldn't come out of either end. It was extremely painful. Eventually, I went to the pharmacist, explained that I had surgery, and she gave me a Stool Softener and a Laxative (Brand-Dulcolax), and it did wonders! It bought me back to life. :notagree

Hi,

I took a lot of Gas X and Mylanta Multi, and to be honest that didn't do as well as I expected. It felt like someone took a balloon pump and inflated me with gas that wouldn't come out of either end. It was extremely painful. Eventually, I went to the pharmacist, explained that I had surgery, and she gave me a Stool Softener and a Laxative (Brand-Dulcolax), and it did wonders! It bought me back to life. :notagree

Mercy!

Thanks for the info folks. This is going to be an interesting flight home ;)

Actually,Nella337, that's exactly what happened. When you have a laparoscopic procedure, the abdominal cavity is inflated with a "gas" which allows free movement of the instruments, camera, and organs. When the procedure is finished , the abdomen is emptied of the gas, but some of it remains and diffuses through the tissues in the body and especially in the abdomen or trunk area. This is different from the intestinal gas from the digestive process which expels in the form of a burp or passing gas. The Gas X will help the intestinal gas some which is normal after surgery of any kind, but the best thing for working out the gas that is diffused into the tissues is movement. That is why you should be up and walking the day of surgery and keep moving. (Within reason of course.)

OH goodness, i wish that my gas was coming out of my rear end! It is so PAINFUL!! it comes up from my tummy and into my chest where it stays for 2 seconds, not letting me breathe and it is awful! It hurts a lot. I was lucky though, i had a 20 minute drive home, which i could hardly stand.. But i reccomend that you sleep at a hotel and then leave the following day. I can't imagine being in a plane right after my surgery.. ahh. I've been taking Gas X and it really isn't working much for me and this is my 4th day since my surgery. I really hope that these awful pains go away.. or relocate to my behind.. lol anyways.. Goodluck Ellie!

OH goodness, i wish that my gas was coming out of my rear end! It is so PAINFUL!! it comes up from my tummy and into my chest where it stays for 2 seconds, not letting me breathe and it is awful! It hurts a lot. I was lucky though, i had a 20 minute drive home, which i could hardly stand.. But i reccomend that you sleep at a hotel and then leave the following day. I can't imagine being in a plane right after my surgery.. ahh. I've been taking Gas X and it really isn't working much for me and this is my 4th day since my surgery. I really hope that these awful pains go away.. or relocate to my behind.. lol anyways.. Goodluck Ellie!

Thanks ;) The surgery is Monday and for now, I'm scheduled to leave on Wed. I can stay additional nights in TJ or SD if needed and I have a friend in ATL picking me up from the airport who has offered to let me stay at her house Wed night if the trip was rough.

GasX sheets (2 at a time) disolve on your tongue and give you a good dose of simethecone which acts like fabric softner on bubbles created from too much detergent. I believe I read somewhere that gas created from digestion will be an ongoing result for a long time. I hardly have any now, but I've de-sugared my diet and lean heavily on Liquid Protein and eggs.< /p>

Ellie, Are you in ATL? I live in Gwinnett County.;)

Close - up in the mountains :D It's about a 2 hour drive to and from the airport so it's very nice that a friend is offering a sofa in DT ATL for the night :D Hopefully I won't need to take her up on it.

Have you been banded? If so, where? Looking now for a doctor who will fill bands from Mexico. Lori from Dr. Oritiz's office gave me some numbers I think I found a guy in Woodstock which is only about 45 minutes away.

I had no gas at all, and no pains from gas. This seems to be the exception - maybe you will luck out.

If not, three magic words: EXIT ROW AISLE.

Makes for quick & easy access to the facilities. ;)

I will be banded on 2-15 at the new Emory Johns Creek Hospital. My surgeon is Dr. William Johnson with Johns Creek Surgery / Atlanta Bariatrics (Dr. Christopher Hart) They are located in Johns Creek, between Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta. If you live up 75, the Woodstock Dr. would probably be closer. Good Luck in Mexico. ;)

I will be banded on 2-15 at the new Emory Johns Creek Hospital. My surgeon is Dr. William Johnson with Johns Creek Surgery / Atlanta Bariatrics (Dr. Christopher Hart) They are located in Johns Creek, between Suwanee, Duluth, and Alpharetta. If you live up 75, the Woodstock Dr. would probably be closer. Good Luck in Mexico. :D

Out of curiousity, do you know how much the self pay is there? I have a $5K deductible with my insurance, then they pay 80%. Besides having to wait, it seems about the same for me to go to Mexico as it would be to get it done here, even if I was willing to wait for insurance to OK it. But I am curious what the fees are. My personal doctor said he heard $15-17K in the burbs (he works out of North Fulton Hospital).

Beware fellow bandsters with these "gas pains". I too was extremely bloated for days and had pain under my breast, sort of behind my rib which kept getting worse. I kept telling my doctor that it didn't feel like gas at all but he wouldn't listen. It turned into the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. EXCRUCIATING!!!! Turned out to be Post Operative Pleurisy. NINE days in the hospital!!!!!!