Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

shopping list?

Hi Everybody - I am scheduled to be banded August 16 (YIKES!). I am very scared, but also excited. This site has been a goldmine of information for me. Thanks to you all.

My question is this: I remember from a while back someone suggesting items for a shopping list for when you come home from being banded... does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyway, would you mind repeating your shopping list? I think it had a gas relief medication on the list (but I can't remember which medication was recommended) and it also had a heating pad listed. Any other suggestions? I want to be totally prepared so that my journey is as easy as possible (and also I'm a little psycho too!). Thanks!

I vaguely remember somebody posting a list like that, but I can't remember what was on it. Here are my suggestions:

I used chewable gas-ex - it tasted chalky and horrible but it helped so I ate it anyway!

I would stock up on juice, popsicles, yogurt (without bits of stuff in it), milk, and broths. But I wouldn't buy too much...I've still got juice and broth sitting around my house from when I bought it in January!

Congrats on getting scheduled and good luck with everything!

Hey Sal...

I'd add suger free Jello and SF popsicles to your list. You may also want to keep some chicken broth an or Soups that you can strain the solid stuff out of. I bought the mylanta anti-gas chewables but didn't really find that they helped. Be sure that you have some very loose and comfy clothes to wear post-op... I also had Diet V-8 splash on hand. Just remember to sip... sip... sip your Water post-op and don't use a straw as that will put extra gas in your stomach. Good luck with your surgery and update us when you are feeling up to it!

Darcy

Marie and Darcy -

Thanks for your responses and support. I plan on doing a little shopping spree (at the drug store - wheeee!) tomorrow or Friday and stocking up on all the fun stuff. Thanks for the reminder of loose clothing. Would you suggest sweats or something more like a nightgown - the nightgown would be my personal preference! :)

For me, Mylicon Baby Gas Relief drops worked better than Mylanta. (I got the Walmart generic version - cheaper.) Also, Tylenol liquid Adult Strength (or Tylenol Sore Throat -- it's the very same thing, just different packaging). You won't want to try and swallow pills for a while. I also bought a mild expectorant cough Syrup (to help get rid of the phelgm in your throat following surgery (again, the Walmart generic).

Pack lightly. I wore a Mexican wedding dress (very baggy, pull over) to the hospital, around the hospital, and on the trip back home. It was comfortable and presentable if someone visited. I also wore slip-on house shoes. You probably won't want to bend over and tie or tug for a few days.

Shave your legs the night before surgery. May not feel like bending over for a little while.

Try to walk as much as you possibly can, as soon as you can, after the surgery. This helps w/ the chest congestion, soreness, and the gas. I pushed my i.v. pole all around the hospital hallways.

Are you having your surgery locally or out of the U.S.?

You'll do great! I'm so excited for you!

Thank you, thank you! Those are the kind of specifics I need (name of brand, etc.). I wrote everything down for my shopping spree.

I will be having my surgery here in Utah, hopefully on an outpatient basis.

I loved your suggestion of the Mexican wedding dress ... not only will I feel better but I'll look cute too!:) I don't know what I'd do without you all! (I'm totally serious - I have learned so much from you - you're all great!)

I forgot to ask this ... Why would I shave my legs before surgery if I don't shave them now? (kidding)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Sal!!!!!!

Why do they also call ME a bad speller/typist?

That post above was supposed to why do they call ME ...

It's too bad that this thread couldn't be stickied for newbies. Great information about what to buy before the surgery and suggestions post op.

Originally posted by Sal

I forgot to ask this ... Why would I shave my legs before surgery if I don't shave them now? (kidding)

Whew! I don't have a surgery date yet, but I got a little tense when I read I'd have to shave my legs.

Sal, one thing that I enjoyed post op, was one of those tank tops with the bra built in. It felt better than wearing a bra.

Whip, I don't think you'll need this! LOL

O.k., Whippledaddy, you won't need the support bra or have to shave your legs. And you don't have to wear a Mexican Wedding Dress, either.

However, if you're like my husband, you may want to shave the Patches on your chest for your EKG stickers. Ouch!

P. S. Your post made my day!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: