Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the band a "secret"???

As far as telling people... I have only mentioned to a few select co-workers that also have weight issues.... I do not wish the others to know. Just let them notice the change. I am really shy about my weight with my husband as well, and I really did not even want him to know. But he was watching a discovery health show and saw the procedure on the show. He was talking about what he had watched and I just "blurted" out, 'yeah that is what I am doing too'. Ever since then, he has asked questions and we have discussed it more. I actually am relieved that he knows and he seems to be supportive. Unusual for our relationship.. We will see how things go, I am scheduled to be banded on March 12. I am so scared of "going under" and of not being able to even successfully follow through with my pre-op 10 liquid diet.< /p>

I am being banded next week and I have only told my mum and dad. I also let slip to a close friend who told me they are currently saving for the same op. I am telling NO one else. I have however had to tell a few people (work related and best friend who is male) I am having an operation so have said it is 'womens issues'.

Im quite a private person but I also feel a little embarrassed about it and do not want to be judged. Perhaps it is due to my age (26) and the fact all my friends are thin naturally.

Oh my, I guess I have a different take on this. I am telling all of my family and friends,so far everyone has been quite supportive and concerned. I figure after all of these years of being overweight, they are bound to notice and I could not lie and say that it is just a normal diet. They would notice it in a restaurant for sure. For me it is easier to keep things out in the open, than to try to pretend that this is all happening spontaneously. Somehow I feel I can embrace the whole concept more easily if I have the support of my fam and friends. What can I say..my life is an open book:)

I actually wish I had kept this a secret at work, because a few people who would like to believe they know it all...have been down on my choice of surgeries and I'm trying not to be offended. Afterall I've researched this surgery for quite some time, this is not a spur of the moment thing.

I am not telling anyone at work those people are so back stabbing and I dont want them in my business all they do is talk behind your back

the only people I told is my husband, my two sister and my best friend

I had my pre-op today my surgery is the 22nd and I am freaking out I also started my liquid diet today and so far so good I am not as hungry as I taught I would be wish me luck everyone I am soooo looking forward to 3 weeks of liquids....NOT....

I ended up telling another co-worker yesterday about the surgery. I had gone earlier in the week for my ekg and x ray for pre-op. she had overheard me talking to a friend to explain my rhthyms from the ekg. we work in the medical field so we do it all. She heard us say pre op and she said-- who? not you? And of course that opened the door for conversation. I advised her I really did not want others to know about this. She was familiar and was very enthusiastic about this. I received an email from her this morning, she now wants to start getting together during the evenings to go to the ymca or go walking. Plus our work has just started a walking competition between department teams and that begins on Monday, and I happen to be the captain. So this all worked out good, I have someone else I can talk to and even "walk" me through .

i've found that not telling people the truth is a pain in the butt. (isn't that the case with most things?!)

i told everyone i had a cyst removed, but some of my friends have had cysts removed and they know that i'm not moving/acting right. *sighs*

i don't regret not telling anyone, but i wish situations were different so i could have felt more comfortable telling people. does that make sense?

once i can eat real food (or even just soups) i know it will be easier. "light lunch" or what not.

I went back yesterday on my 9'th day post-op after using vacation time. I planned on taking it easy but I actually felt really good all day. I had told co-workers about my surgery beforehand so many were asking how I felt and some wanted more details than others. Many expected me to be sitting down and taking it easy or not running around like my normal self. Many asked, aren't you in pain? Honestly, I was in pain and miserable the first 3-4 days but each day after has gotten better. I was surprised to have a few staff, who work on the other side of the hospital, who I never really talked to before...start a conversation with me. I got a few compliments on my hair looking nice, and a couple staff asked me if I'd gotten my hair cut or colored? These being the staff who were unaware of my surgery....so I just thanked them and didn't offer any info. My husband says that this is because I have lost a little weight and that my face looks different...so people wonder why I look different and think it's a new haircut or something. I also noticed that my female co-workers in particular are very attentive to what I eat, drink, and chew....lol. Some comment that I bearly eat enough to walk upright. Some ask, aren't you starving? Some just watch....and I'm aware of it. Some I've noticed eat less of their lunch and I noticed more salads around the lunch table today. Maybe my having surgery will have a positive effect on others eating habits. I don't know, I thought as I drove home from work tonight.....maybe I shouldn't have told anyone?

I decided not to disclose the fact that I was being banded. Only my husband knows and he is extremely supportive. I really did not want to get everyone's opinion. Most people think that if you would just get some will power and stop eatting, you will lose weight. I have had so many suggestions and opinions about weight loss, I feel I do not want to deal with the opinion of the lap band. Most are not aware of the lap-band procedures. I do not want to have everyone at work thinking that I am weak because I cannot lose weight on diet & excercise alone. I am a Controller with a company in a man's working environment. So I feel very strongly not letting them know what is going on. Why not just reap the rewards of losing weight and not worry about everyone else's opinion.

Had lap band 2/20/07 and lost 11 pounds.

:huytsao

I have only told 2 family members and 5 of my closest friends. From the reaction I got from my sister, I have decided not to tell anyone else. I did just tell my neighbor, only because I asked her if she can help with my 3 year old for a few days, but I am so happy about this that I don't want to have to justify it to anyone else.

I am thinking about telling my dad, but I don't know how he will react and I honestly don't want my step sisters knowing. They are all a size 3 and perfect and just don't want to be judged. I am for everything else I do with them.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Well, DH is telling NO ONE...the only people that know he's having it are the people that I have told, because we're both doing it.

I haven't told too many people. The ones I have told have been fairly supportive. My mother on the other hand...feels I just lack discipline and that if I just really "surrendered this problem to God" (NO religious debate here please) I could do it "naturally". I finally just had to tell her to trust me to make the right decision for me and she has since backed off.

One person that surprised me, was my medifast health advisor. When I told her I was opting for lap band because I couldn't live on Meal Replacements for years on end, she was quite indignant (sp?) and pulled a superiority complex out on me! I have known this woman for YEARS and never dreamed she would be so unsupportive!

But hey...I'm not doing this for "them" I am doing this for my health. I am doing this so I can be the best me, the best wife, mom and future grandma I can possibly be.

musicalmamma

I am not going to debate, but honestly, I think that is why I am not telling my dad so I totally understand, and like you I am doing this for me and for my children, they are young and I want to be healthy for them.