Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Doctors

For those people who have had to find a doctor to do their fills other than the one that did the surgery, I am just wondering how they found that doctor, have they had a good experience, how much they have had to pay (if anything), and other other comments you would like to make about the doctor.

Also, if you could include comments about where the doctor is located, phone numbers, and any other pertinent data.

I think Dr. Amson does them in Victoria (once you convince him that he is not the only one who can do lap band surgery). I am having a little stress on that front right now. I am also considering Dr. Neal in Washington state. Where do you live?

I live in Calgary and am seeing Dr. Descoteaux. He is very caring and working on trying to get lap band surgery covered by Alberta Health Care. Right now it is covered for a few people who are part of a test group, but he is wanting to get it covered for everyone and then also get the fills covered for people who were banded in other places. Right now he charges $100.

I live in Calgary and am seeing Dr. Descoteaux. He is very caring and working on trying to get lap band surgery covered by Alberta Health Care. Right now it is covered for a few people who are part of a test group, but he is wanting to get it covered for everyone and then also get the fills covered for people who were banded in other places. Right now he charges $100.

Hey Julie,

About Dr.Descoteaux. If I get a fill with him and it is too much & I need a slight unfill, does he charge you twice.

I am kinda thinking I should have gone to Mexico (or Dr. K in Colorado) for the fact that it is about half the price, I get twice as much back from AHC, and I have to pay for my fills anyways.

Andrew

I don't think he charges for a defill. I know someone who was filled by someone else and needed an emergency defill in the middle of the night. She was met by Dr. Descoteaux at PLC emergency and he didn't charge a dime. I am not sure if he even billed it to AHC as he did not get her to check in with the triage nurse and I don't think he even got her health care number. It seems to me that Dr. Descoteaux is really committed to his patients and to seeing them lose weight and become healthier.

As far as your questioning whether you should have it in Toronto or Mexico, have you looked into the possiblity of changing things? I know you have probably paid a deposit already, but maybe the difference in cost would make up for loosing out your deposit. There would be a $75 fee for changing your airline ticket, but it might be worth it. I must say I was so pleased with my surgeon. His skill is exceptional. I did not have a single bruise following the procedure, which is amazing because I normally bruise a lot and from the pictures I have seen of other people, some people have terrible bruising following surgery. The cost of the hotel was also included in my fee of $8500 US. I know that you can usually book within days and get it done, so you might want to give them a call and find out more. Their 800 number does not work in Canada, but if you e-mail them they will call you.

www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

Whatever way you decide to go it is so well worth losing weight. Although I have only lost 24 pounds right now, I know that more is to come and that I will change my life for the better with every pound that comes off.

I dint think that I am going to change at this point. I feel it is too late, but I think that I should have given Mexico more consideration.

I think I will look up Dr. Descoteaux for my fills, as he seems pretty reasonable, and I like that he ahs been working toward getting more bands allowed for people here, even if it is not going to effect me personally.

That is good to know about the defills to, as I dont want this to become an issue. Hopefully one day fills will be covered by AHC as they should, no matter where one had their surgery.

Andrew

Hey there Gaffer,I was wondering why you were 2nd guessing you decision to go to Cobourn's clinic is price the reason,or is there something else, the reason I ask is I had e-mailed a question there a week ago and no ones got back to me,I also left a phone msg.I wonder if they are really busy or maybe moving now to the new location.:guess

Hey there Gaffer,I was wondering why you were 2nd guessing you decision to go to Cobourn's clinic is price the reason,or is there something else, the reason I ask is I had e-mailed a question there a week ago and no ones got back to me,I also left a phone msg.I wonder if they are really busy or maybe moving now to the new location.:guess

It really has nothing to do with Dr. Coburn's office, or his staff. So far all my interactions with them have been great. My reasons for second guessing are more finacially motivated. Also, the more time I spend here, the more comfortable I feel with a Mexican Dr. This is not to say that my wife, mother, father and family Dr. would disown me for even metioning a mexican Dr.

My reasoning is as follows:

- Surgery in Mexico (or Dr. K in Colorado) costs about $10K canadian

- Ab. Health Care will reimburse ~$2K

- Hotel included in price

net cost roughly $8K canadian

Assuming flights are about the same price.

- Dr. C surgery - $16K

- Ab health Reimbursment - $1K

- Hotels - $500

Net cost is about $15.5K

So to have it in Canada it will cost me about an additional $7.5K. I feel better, and my family feels better about me having it in Canada, but is that peace of mind worth $7.5K. I will never know.

I am having the surgery in Canada, and really once it is all said & done I am sure it will be worth it no matter what I paid.

Hell, I would stil like to have it done for free in Alberta, but I dont want to wait that long.

Andrew

Andrew,

I love your analysis as it is exactly what I went through before I decided and it wasn't until I met people that actually went to Mexico and had nothing but good things to say about the doctors there that I considered it as an options. I also found out that it was Mexican surgeons that trained the surgeons in Toronto on the lap band, so that gave me confidence about the surgeon I picked.

Whatever you decide, they are always issues with followup for some people. I have had problems myself with contact with the clinic, but I am certainly not loosing any sleep over it and I just keep being persistent until I get what I want.

15 more sleeps for you . . .

15 more sleeps, and 2 more weeks of Optifast.

I looked at the calender today, and I could not believe that 2 weeks from tomorrow I will be on the table. Kinda surreal.

Dont get me wrong, I am going to Missasauga.

I think that I will save Mexico for my vacations.

Andrew

Good analysis Gaffer and I definately get what your saying, I guess from the get go I talked to Dr.Cobourn and felt a comfort level with him, but the follow up care does concern me a little,just the distance and all but I'm sure it'll work out fine.1 more week until surgery....:biggrin1: I can't wait!

Astrotoes, you'll do great... I am! And I'm sure that is it... the move. I've never even had to leave a message... someone's always answered, so I'm sure something's going on.

Gaffer: do you KNOW for sure that you'll get that much back from AHC? What about the amount you'll get back when you do your income tax? That will be a good chunk... at least it will be for me.

I also found out that it was Mexican surgeons that trained the surgeons in Toronto on the lap band, so that gave me confidence about the surgeon I picked.

Just so you know, there are quite a few different surgeons in Toronto and area, and I checked this out to be certain, but neither Dr. Cobourn or Mumford were trained by any Mexican Dr's... but lapband surgeons from Florida and Australia (as well as by Allergan/Inamed, the company who manufactures the bands they use).

Mandi,I'm really happy you said that,b/c that's exactly what Dr. C told me and I felt it was likely true but It kept coming up here and people seemed convinced of the Mexican training...so It left me wondering and with that little hint of doubt that you don't need presurgery.(not doubting the Mexican service just why Dr.C would say otherwise.)

Gaffer: do you KNOW for sure that you'll get that much back from AHC? What about the amount you'll get back when you do your income tax? That will be a good chunk... at least it will be for me.

Based on what I am seeing from other Ab. bandsters that appears to be what they are getting back for thier surgeries in Ontario.

There is some sort of interprovincial agreement where the Ab will give me back $ for things done in Ontario. They charge a certain rate for Ontario which entitles me to about $1000. Because they dont have the same agreement with Mexico, they give it back to me at the alberta rate, whic would give me about $1700 back according to what others are getting back in AB

Really whether it is $1000 or $1700 it is found money as I was not planning on getting anything back when I booked the surgery.

Now, for the tax return, that will make a difference to me. I dont know how what % of my income it will allow me to write off, but depending on how that works it could be a nice sum.

Are you allowed to write off Mexican surgeries?

Andrew