Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting preop diet soon.... any suggestions?

Hi,

Looking for any comments on what I should be looking forward to, or anyone have good advise to follow from your own experiences. I would love to hear. I think I will need lots of support for these 10 days, and beyond And also any positive things anyone can tell me would be great, I'm getting a little nervous about the whole pursedure, I think anything positive that you have to share about your own lapband journey would help out a great deal. Thanks and god bless!

Minnesotalady

Well, I was so weak and ill feeling I didn't think I could make it. My mind even was foggy. I called my nurse who told me I could eat a chicken breast with a steamed veggie once a day. Boy, that was a life saver. It's hard but gets a little easier as the days go by. But I'd doubt I could make it without the chicken and veggies to look forward to.

One of the hardest things I had ever done in my life. Plus I had no idea it was coming. I honestly had 2 days to wrap my mind around it. I was stunned. I wanted my surgery to go as smooth as possible (the liver thing), so I stuck in out. Think of it as a big mountain that you will climb. My sister-in-law told me just the other night how the family says that I was really strong to be able to do it. I never knew they talked about that part of this adventure. I was proud of myself.

edie

My preop diet is 2 days, what is yours? I have to drink magnesium citrate, 10 ounces, in the morning two days before the surgery and then Clear Liquids until night before surgery. Surgery is Feb 8th. I have to have no liquids, not even ice chips, the entire day of the surgery. I can't have any fluids until the next morning after they do the x-ray to make sure there is no blockage. Then I have to have 6-7 days of clear liquids, after that my doc will let me know if I am on to mushy or not. Just curious if you have the same preop?

Hey - Minnesota Lady - where are you having your surgery? I had mine in Duluth...

I had two weeks of pre-op liquid diet and lost 14.5 lbs in that time frame. The first three days were hard, but after that, it was a breeze for me. I had (and still have) Slim Fast shakes with added chocolate Protein powder and I blend it with ice in my Magic Bullet (another must have). I also had a lot of Jell-0, chicken broth, Water, and any other liquid I could get ahold of. The surgery went beautifully, I believe because I followed the doctor's instructions to a T. I just had my 6month bandiversary on January 5th and I'm down 90lbs. Just keep your eye on the results and know that everyone's journey is different. Good luck!

Oh my! Down 90 lbs in 6 months. CONGRATS!!! Good for you! I think this website is great. It has helped me to continue to feel I am doing the right thing. I am 322, 5' 9". My goal is about 165/170 from what the doctor said. My highest was a 333. Did you lose a bit in the first month from being on the liquid and soft foods for the first month?

Hey - Minnesota Lady - where are you having your surgery? I had mine in Duluth...

I had two weeks of pre-op liquid diet and lost 14.5 lbs in that time frame. The first three days were hard, but after that, it was a breeze for me. I had (and still have) Slim Fast shakes with added chocolate Protein powder and I blend it with ice in my Magic Bullet (another must have). I also had a lot of Jell-0, chicken broth, Water, and any other liquid I could get ahold of. The surgery went beautifully, I believe because I followed the doctor's instructions to a T. I just had my 6month bandiversary on January 5th and I'm down 90lbs. Just keep your eye on the results and know that everyone's journey is different. Good luck!

Hi ericsmom, I'm having my surgery in Morris Mn. with dr Fortier. I am on day two of the liquid diet, so far so good. I'm leaving for a superbowl party that should be challenging, I can handle it though. Congrats on the 90 LBS, that is awesome! keep in touch, it's nice to find someone from Minnesota.

Minnesotalady;)

ericsmom

Losing 90 lbs is great Congratulations

What Surgeon did you have? I am having Dr Medlin do mine on the 13th

I am on week 3 of 4 with the preop diet I guess I have a larger liver that needs more shrinking. It has been tough but have lost 25lbs so far.

How did you like the surgery team in Duluth?

Keep in touch it is nice to know a fellow Duluth Bandster

Terry

I started my pre-op diet one week ago, I am lucky mine is two weeks of Slim fast or proetien shake for Breakfast and lunch and a healthy dinner. I am considering myself lucky since I at least get one meal a day! But between the diet and my normal 30 minutes of exercise I am down 8 lbs already. It seemed to me that the second day was the worse, but after that if I keep myself busy it is not that bad. The only thing is that I feel left out now when everyone is going out for lunch...but I guess I would rather lose weight and be healthy ;)