Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my clearance! With a twist.

Just got back from Cardiologist 12:30 appointment. Finally saw him at 1:15, so he could listen to the heart for 5 seconds, take the BP 120/80 and sign the clearance sheet. He told me that he thinks the band is a GREAT tool; he's seen many patients be successful.

The twist; when he told me that its extremely dangerous for me to go into the surgery with high blood sugars. My diabetes was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago; been on Glucovance for just that long. There is not much more I can do before surgery time now, to bring the sugar levels down. He did mention they will monitor/control this in the hospital. Also said that he'll get me some 'education' in the hosptial (testing my own blood, etc). So now - I'm HORRIFIED! I was too scared to ask him what could happen. I'll be in the hospital; a specialty bariatric center!! I'm assuming they deal with issues like mine all the time. I lef there in tears, wondering if I should delay, until my sugars come down.

Advice?:cry

I've been a diabetic since 1997. I have had three surgeries, two c-sections and two healthy babies in that time, with varying levels of control - from perfect control to no control at all. So, I know of which I speak.

A cardiologist is NOT an endocrinologists. Yes, they are both doctors, and no, you shouldn't just dismiss his medical opinion out-of-hand, but rather take it with a grain of salt. Remember this is not his area of expertise.

High blood sugars *can* cause you to heal more slowly than if you were in perfect control. I say "can" because that's just it - everybody's different. If your surgeon knows that you're diabetic, and knows what your sugars are running and still recommends having the surgery on time? I'd go with that. From my understanding, LOTS of people who have this surgery have diabetes. I would imagine that they also have varying levels of control. So, if your surgeon has done a respectable number of surgeries, then he or she should know. You know?

If you don't mind - what do your fasting sugars look like?

(And congratulations - you made me post! This is my very first post. :rolleyes: )

Heather :)

Still contemplating the band

Hi Heather - welcome to LBT!!!

Wow, your post (1st one!!!) made me cry a bit. This whole diabetes things is just so new, still incredibly scarey and I'm not nearly as educated about it all as I should be.

Yes, the doctor is aware. My fasting sugar on my A1C was 282. First thought it was a false positive; then we did it again two weeks later; 282. ONLY reason I even did the blood tests, was b/c of the band pre op requirements. I'd be willing to bet that I've been diabetic for a number of years, considering the symptoms I've shown of peeing alot and exssive thirst. I was actually listing 'my water' as the thing I'd miss most with the band.

I too understand that many people who have the band, from the weight are Type II'ers as well.

I've not yet been to an endrocrinologist; on my list of things to do 'after the band'. I've been putting all my energies into this surgery. Bad me, I know. But the MD has me on the glucovance; and was satisfied with that. The cardiologist and MD are both very happy with how well I've responded to the Blood Pressure meds, having me at a perfect 120/80.

So now I go into the surgery, knowing that doctor knows best. I also have learned that just a 10% weight loss can make a huge difference in blood sugars. Even our nurse practiioner at the pre op class stated again and again. Thrilled me to bits. I don't want to get onto insulin - ever. At best, would love to get off the meds as well. And I have heard it can be done.

Heather, thank you again for the post; it's given me a bright spot to my day. Again, welcome to LBT. You will not get more education about the band any other place than right here.

:rolleyes:

sherilynn I am a long term diabetic and a nurse as well so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. But I have always been taught that it is more dangerous to have a LOW sugar on the day of/during a procedure. I have always withheld my insulin on the morning of surgery/procedures for myself and patients that I have cared for. As one of my docs has said to me is better to be a little sweet than be low on that day.:rolleyes:

In the long term, as previously mentioned, high sugars can affect healing.

That should be the "education" that he is going to set up for you. Do you have a blood sugar machine?

Getting sugars under control for a new diabetic can be stressful, but hopefully with the lapband and the change in your dietary habits you won't need much in the way of medication for a long length of time.

By the way 282 is high but it can go much much much higher.

So take a deep breath and go with the flow. Take a look at American Diabetes Association Homepage.

http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

Myra

Sherilynn - I'm glad I made you feel a bit better and thanks for the welcome! I was most likely diabetic before I found out as well - I was diagnosed when I was 19, but the current theory is that I have probably been diabetic since about the age of 12. It was just a fluke that got me in to see the doctor, really - I was trying to shame my mother into getting her blood tested and said "See how easy it is? I'll do mine!" And BOY did I do mine - it was 300! I was stunned! But I've been on this road ever since.

Myra has a great point when she says it's better to be sweet than low on a surgery day. It's MUCH easier for doctors to deal with sugars being a bit high than it is if you crash in the middle of the procedure.

By the way 282 is high but it can go much much much higher.

It definitely, definitely can. And with it comes a whole host of crap that you don't want. By getting the band, you're making sure that doesn't happen to you. My diabetes is the number one reason I'm considering this surgery. I'm on FIVE different diabetes medications currently, and I'm only 28. It can only get worse from here if I don't do something quick.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Heather :rolleyes:

Still contemplating the band.

I can tell you all this; after this surgery, my education is going to be geared toward diabetes and getting those sugars in check. This is terrifying. Thank you so much for your support! I'm not going to cancel after all. I figured that if they're thinking it's ok - then it is. And of course they'll check me on the day of surgery and if anything is awry, they'll stop the surgery I'm sure.

Sheri