Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Did You Choose Rny?

Now. I started a similar thread asking if you regret having the rny procedure. Everyone said no. Now, I'd like to know what leaned you toward this over the sleeve?

I'm trying to make the most educated decision I can.

My pcp yesterday, told me that he had a patient nearly die because he took an anti inflammatory after the rny and nearly killed himself. This is news to me. When will I learn all of his?

I didn't like the idea of having my stomach taken out and the fact that the sleeve isn't reversible....the rny isn't considered reversible either but I was told that if need be it could be reversed!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Heard the band had too many set backs/complications. My insurance would not cover the sleeve. So I chose RNY.

My insurance only covers rny and the lap band. With the amount of weight I have to lose, I felt the rny was my best option.

I chose the bypass because my lack of weight loss prior to surgery was determined to be caused by metabolic issues. Bypass corrects those issues, where as the sleeve and bypass do not. Also your weight plays a factor I went into this program weighing 364, for my age and body type I should be 155, so I went into this needin to lose 209lbs. Through research and support groups the only patients I found who lot jay much weight were bypass patients. I do not regret my decision for bypass I am 2 weeks out from surgery and lost 22 lbs post op and it took me 4 months pre op to lose 40lbs. So now my total weight loss is 62lbs.....my doc told me I have already lost 27% of the weight I needed to lose and I am only two weeks in.....so with all that said I say if you have a lot to lose or metabolic issues, go with the bypass.

Hi all. I have previously been diagnosed with sarcoidosis of the lungs and took prednisone (anti inflammatory) pills. Now they said its itsnselfnresolving and all. I'm not on it now because you can't taKe it for too long. I'm concerned with what i just read on this thread. Does it mean rny is a no go at all in case I need to take it in the future

I decided to do the rny because it resolves diabetes and the band and sleeve don't. The weight loss will of course help the diabetes but rny is the only one that changes your body hormonally regarding diabetes. Kaiser also told me that they have a 30% revision rates with the lap band and may stop doing it all together because of problems with it. I also have high blood pressure and severe sleep apnea. I also had gallstones so had gall bladder removed at same time. As far as weight. I was 221 preprogram, 206 at surgery on 10/10. I didn't qualify on weight alone but because of the contributing health factors, my insurance, Kaiser paid for it all.

Thanks for the update sunshine. I think my medical reasons definitely necessitate this.

I have chosen to have RNY because my insurance did not cover the sleeve and the only reason I was wanting the sleeve is because I was scared of dumping. I am going threw the process now and I'm almost done. I know if I don't have this surgery I will be dead within 2yrs. I want to see my kids graduate for college and see them working in ther careers and with there families. I have to finis my physic eval on the 17th of oct. Nov 12 is my last appt then we sent it to be approved. With all my illness this is life of death.

I am trying to make the same decision a sleeve or bypass... I am concerned with the dumping and not being able to take nsaids as I have a lot of Migraines and probably take about 10 a week. I think not being able to absorb sugar as much is a good thing. I am self pay and I realize insurance for many doesnt cover a sleeve but if it did with any gone with the sleeve bc of experiences with the bypass I know 1 person who says that if she could have she would have been sleeve but she has had great results and have not had dumping

Hi all. I have previously been diagnosed with sarcoidosis of the lungs and took prednisone (anti inflammatory) pills. Now they said its itsnselfnresolving and all. I'm not on it now because you can't taKe it for too long. I'm concerned with what i just read on this thread. Does it mean rny is a no go at all in case I need to take it in the future

Hi fmg to answer your question regarding prednisone after gastric bypass surgery my sister has myasthenia gravis an auto immune disease she had rny 6 years ago and takes prednisone to this day prior and after surgery so I guess it all depends what works for each person but I don't think u will be denied surgery for just that reason Goodluck!

I chose RNY because of its restiction for life and rapid weight loss. I feel like I need that side effect of getting sick if I eat the wrong things. It will keep me in check for life. I also chose it because they dont take anything out and it can be reversed if you end up with problems.

I chose RNY because of its restiction for life and rapid weight loss. I feel like I need that side effect of getting sick if I eat the wrong things. It will keep me in check for life. I also chose it because they dont take anything out and it can be reversed if you end up with problems.

That's my reason as well.