Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prime Rib and PBs

Tonight I made a prime rib. I was a little rare, but good. I just can't seem to eat beef. I had made this great dinner for my brother and mother prior to Mother going to the hospital for colon surgery and I threw most of mine up. I found a larger piece of beef when I threw up. I chewed like crazy and it didn't get small enough. If I can't eat prime rib that I cook myself, my life is over. I find that I can eat pork chops with no problem and my homemade pizza which has a VERY thin crust. But a lot of other stuff causes PBs even when I chew it up to basically a liquid. I think I may need to have an unfill, but that entails driving 2 1/2 hours to Kansas and having the gal poke around in my stomach until she finally finds the port. I have followed TOM's advice about cutting meat to chiclet size, but the prime rib still wouldn't go down. I'm disgusted about that. Prime rib is expensive and my brother and the dogs will get to eat the whole thing. My brother weighs about 300 lbs. He can eat enything. I think I'm going to give up on buying prime rib since I can't eat it. I can't seem to eat much. Does anyone else have that problem. Also I haven't lost a pound in about 5 months. Of course, I don't exercise. I spend enough time taking care of mother and working. Also I absolutely loathe exercise. Meanwhile, my cousin visited today and was terribly proud that she'd managed to get up to 117 pounds! She's hoping to gain to 120 pounds. Life just doesn't seem fair sometimes.

I gave up red meat 100% when I got my band. Never liked it too much before that. For me, it's too hard to chew it well enough. It seems like red meat, even the most tender cut, will only chew so much. And by the time I get it chewed as much as I can, my jaws hurt and it has no flavor left anyway. *sigh* Quickly decided I'd just give it up, it isn't worth it. That doesn't mean the medium rare sirloin my husband ordered lastnight didn't look orgasmically good.

Funny you mentioned Omaha Steaks Jack...on Sunday that will be my 'Last Supper'...their Filet and Lobster Tail.

Jack -- I have had the same problem. I haven't lost any weight until this week on the scale, but I'm losing sizes in clothes. My size 16 pants which I was so proud to wear are falling off. This week I finally got over the 4-5 month no-weight-loss period and lost two pounds. But it seems that the fat is rearranging itself and I need smaller clothes. I went and bought some smaller underwear because my old underwear was just huge. So I suppose there are some victories even if the scale doesn't show them. I still intend to try to eat prime rib. I love prime rib, but beef really is a problem even in chiclet size. I eat a lot of pork chops. I hunt the ones with the most fat because the fat helps them go down. Then I steam them in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours until they are super tender and then I broil them to get them brown. They go down really well. My favorite meal is pork chops, cottage cheese and asparagus. I have trouble with chicken though I make Maryland Country Captain a lot You boil it to tenderize the chicken. I like omelets. I have this French cookbook with some omelet recipes and they are good.

My brother came down for my mother's surgery and he noted that my eating habits have changed radically. I used to put away a medium pizza with ease and about 2 liters of Dr. Pepper a day. Now I have trouble eating two pieces and the dogs get the crusts. Dr. Pepper is a distant memory. Generally I make my own very small pizza with VERY thin crust and it works pretty well. Amazing how the lapband can change one's whole life, isn't it.

Prime rib - I hadn't had any since surgery - may 2005 - until last week in Cape Town. I can eat all other beef but lost my Cookies on the prime rib. Maybe it was so good I overdid it or chewed too fast. If I get the chance, I will try again. Of course, the chance won't happen for about 11 months.

As far as I'm concerned, Prime Rib is so good I don't even mind if I PB the darn thing. It just means I get to eat it twice, if you what I mean.

What does PB mean? I'm new here and not banded yet (Feb 22nd) so I'm not familiar with your abbreviations. I've seem that so many times and wondering what the heck it means!!

What does PB mean? I'm new here and not banded yet (Feb 22nd) so I'm not familiar with your abbreviations. I've seem that so many times and wondering what the heck it means!!

Actually it means projective belch but it really means throwing up because something didn't go through the band. A lot of slime comes up and then you throw up whatever won't go through. I have it a lot since I got filled to 4.5 cc, and it's a pain. But I've lost 40 pound since last May so I guess I can stand it.

There's a bit of a difference of opinion on the forum concerning the definition of PB. Quite a few people agree with bitteroldhag that it is pretty much like throwing up. Then there is another faction, that I am part of, that does not have that same experience. To me, when I PB (which I call a "productive burp"), it is not like throwing up because the food comes right back up in the same condition as when it went down. It is not mixed with stomach digestive juices, so it does not taste bad. And when I PB I don't have the same sort of stomach convulsions as when I vomit. So to me it is completely different.

In any event, when you eat too fast, or don't chew enough, or eat too much for your new little stomach pouch, or eat the wrong food, sometimes it won't go through the narrow part of the hourglass that your stomach has become with the lapband. So, the food has to come back up. In general, I don't find it particularly unpleasant, but people say if you do it too much it can cause the band to slip.

As a final point, I would say that a PB almost never happens in a way that you can't control. You start by feeling a sort of a golf ball in your chest, and then you go to the rest room when you feel like it and let the food come back up. It is not something that is likely to embarrass you in a public situation.

I'm one of the ones who goes ON and ON and ON about the differences between PB and vomit, and I CRINGE when they're used synonymously. See below:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/pb-not-synonymous-t27810.html?t=27810&highlight=acid+vomit

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/pbing-t29076.html?t=29076&highlight=have+to+disagree

I may have been wrong to say that a PB is like vomiting. It isn't. It is undigested food that comes back up. I tastes just the same coming up as it does going down, but I have a lot of slime. I always know I'm going to PB when I have a whole lot of saliva and my nose stops up. I once PB'd 11 times to get up a big piece of pork loin which I had cooked French style. It was my fault for not chewing enough since the loin was so good, I note that my band is tight in the morning so I have a Protein Drink, but by the evening I can eat quite a lot, more's the pity.