Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you go on vacation after getting sleeve?

Just got a little nervous...I'm getting sleeved 12/2/13 and I am planning to go to New Orleans next year for my boyfriend's birthday in April. I just realized I'm not going to be obsessing about the food. (which is a good thing) but I am so scared that it is impossible to go on vacation post sleeve since eating is a little unpredictable (after surgery u can only experiment with small amounts of food and often it doesn't agree with your sleeve). I'm just nervous I will be miserable and make the trip miserable for his 50th birthday. Maybe this is just one of many preop freakouts.

I was sleeved in March and was on trip right at 6 weeks and have traveled a lot since. Eating is really easier than you think. I have yet to be a a restaurant that I can not find something healthy and yummy. I don't always order an entree sometimes just an appetizer. I was very nervous in the beginning but now it doesn't scare me at all. I always take Snacks on my trips such as roasted edamame, beef Jerky and prunes.

You will be more than 3 months out so you will have a very good idea of what works for you by then.

Good luck to you!

I was sleeved in March and was on trip right at 6 weeks and have traveled a lot since. Eating is really easier than you think. I have yet to be a a restaurant that I can not find something healthy and yummy. I don't always order an entree sometimes just an appetizer. I was very nervous in the beginning but now it doesn't scare me at all. I always take Snacks on my trips such as roasted edamame' date=' beef Jerky and prunes.

You will be more than 3 months out so you will have a very good idea of what works for you by then.

Good luck to you![/quote']

Thanks for the perspective..I gotta get out of my head and take it one step at a time

I agree with newat52, traveling is a lot easier than you would think. You just have to prepare ahead of time. I always, even when I am just running around town, have Snacks in my purse (nuts, Protein Bars, beef Jerky etc) Also when my husband and I go out to eat now, we share a meal which is nice when you are traveling because you dont have to worry about wasting what you didnt eat if you cant bring it with you.

By the time you go on your trip, you should be on solid foods, knowing pretty well your sleeve responds to things as well.

The neat thing is, every trip I have taken post sleeve, I have returned weighing less than I did before I left. That would have NEVER happened pre-sleeve!

Have fun!

New Orleans, how fun! I've always wanted to visit. The great thing is that New Orleans has a very bustling & vibrant foodie scene, and you're almost certain to find something that will work with your healthy eating habits! I tend to order off he appetizer menu and even then, can't finish it all. If you like seafood, that's a great option, especially in New Orleans. Also, make sure to bring some Protein bars & shakes with you for "just in case" moments. Those are always great to have on hand, even if you just need a snack! Otherwise—don't be afraid to have bites here and there of some of the more decadent foods that others in the party will be eating...don't deprive yourself of a taste, you are on vacay after all! Just make sure your basic meals are healthy and have a great time!

Ull be 5 mths post op by then and have worked out all the kinks in what u can and can't eat. I eat everything in small amts. There's no "bad" foods to me. I'm only 13 wks post op and would be ready for a vacation. Actually, just arriving home today from a visit out of state (not a vacation, my mil had some health issues) so I've been traveling for 3 wks. I focussed on not gaining. Ate out a lot (almost everyday) so that doesn't help. I managed to stay the same for 3 wks. Am I bummed I didn't lose? A little. But its why I got wls in the first place, so id never again obsess about the food I put in my mouth.

Plan ur trip, don't get too hungry (keep some almonds or Jerky in ur purse), and have fun. I wouldn't worry about it. There's so many other things to worry about than what ur gunnna put in ur mouth 8 mths from now.

Have fun!! Luv New Orleans