Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already discouraged!

Two weeks post op and already I am discouraged.

First week, lost 11 lbs. :D

Second week, lost a measly 2 lbs.

Been on liquids the entire time (and no high calorie, high sugar shakes etc)

Now what will happen if I move on to mushy/soft stage?

Will probably gain weight...

This is what is so discouraging.:cry

And yes, 13 lbs post band is better than nothing, but not for the sacrifices monetarily and dietarily that I have endured.

I haven't felt like doing more than walking, but guess now is the time.

Any words of wisdom out there? :faint:

Yes...THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR WEIGHTLOSS! This is your time of HEALING~! Weightloss is not, and should not be expected until after your first fill.

:faint:

Yes...THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR WEIGHTLOSS! This is your time of HEALING~! Weightloss is not, and should not be expected until after your first fill.

:faint:

I second that!! I know how hard it is though travelbug. After everything you've been through you just want that fat gone for good! Be patient (easier said than done) and good things will come to you!

I agree with everyone else's posts so far about the fact we are healing. But I will also add, don't despair! I lost 10lbs then gained 5 when I went to soft foods, but then I have already started losing again. I have only been banded less than 3 weeks.

They tell us all that 1-2lbs a week is normal for banding anyway.

I think you need some expectation management. It took a while to put on and it isn't going to fly off, no matter how much we want it to. You didn't pay $10-20k to lose it in a week, you paid that to lose it in 2 years.

Well, I self paid and I lost 18lbs total before my first fill which was a total of 3 months later but that wasn't the end of the story.

Be patient because if you don't you will do more harm than good. The band is not a quick fix and the weight will not start pouring off of you, please do some more reseach or read other peoples stories, not to many have had quick loses.

Best of luck and congratulations on your first step to being a successful bandester.

I agree with everyone else who replied.

Patience grasshopper.

You can NOT have an 11lb week every week. My goodness!!

Let me tell you....if I lost 2lbs this week I'd be OVER THE MOON!

You didn't put it on in a day, you won't take it off in a day.

Just know you are doing all the right things to get you there on your journey.

During the healing stage it is okay not to lose any weight. Its time to rest. You will start to lose more after you get your first fill. I had gained 6 lbs when I went from mushies to solids. That is quite common. Just keep on your post op diet. You will be okay.

Just remember that the band works different than RNY, they usually loose much faster. The band is a slow and steady way to loose. You didn't mention RNY, but I think us bandsters get caught up in the numbers game with other WLS patients. Hang in there.

I know travelbug, I feel the same way you do and I keep hearing the same thing. I didn't gain when I started mushies but I wasn't on liquids as long either. Be patient. Our bodies are in shock, they aren't sure whats going on. Are you starving me? are you feeding me? It will come. I think so many of us are used to having the scale do this to us in our dieting lives that we get that same feeling when we see it happening with the band. BUt I can relate. I am doing the same thing you are. I just told my girfriend that was banded 18 months ago that I will be pissed if I don't lose between now and my fill, a month from now!

I so relate to this thread. I know my body has been going WTF. I lost 10lbs in a week, which has never happened to me before, and then gained 5 the next week. I am settling down now... sort of bouncing between a couple of pounds.

Why can't I lose 50 lbs a week for the next 2 weeks and be done?

Big sigh....

I was wondering how the 1st month weight loss goes for most so I asked on another thread. It seemed that most lost somewhere between 10-25 lbs the 1st month and then 1-3 lbs each week after.

Which seems like the best way of losing weight not to fast but yet not to slow if you stay within the rules of what you are asked to do by the doc. ( easier said the done because I haven't been LB'ed yet) LOL- but hoping to have it in Feb. if all goes well!!:)

So Hang In There!!!

I want to echo Jack's words. It is, indeed, a marathon -- a lifelong one, in fact. It is also not a race against the others on the board. I think that part sometimes needs to be said once in a while. I think we all get a little bit of 'ticker envy' when we see those with tremendous losses. I have lost 27# since my surgery on October 9th. I have never in my life lost this much weight in a row without a backslide, yet somedays it does not seem to be going off quickly enough. Keep your eye on the goal...and that is a lifelong goal...not a daily scale goal.

I am only three months out since my surgery, so certainly not a seasoned veteran like many around here. However, I do remember wondering if I did the right thing within those first few weeks after surgery. It hurt, I wondered if I would ever be able to eat my favorite foods again (turns out that I don't even want those old favorites anymore...but that's ok because I have new favorite foods that taste a whole lot better and that make me feel a whole lot better when I am done eating them.) I am learning to chew things slowly and savor every bite. Instead of a Hoover-fest with me gulping down everything within reach, I am starting to 'get it' as to how those naturally thin folks could get by eating those little (translated healhty sized) portions and passing on dessert. I get it...and in a few weeks, you will, too.

This is not the time to lose...as everyone else has told you...it is the time to heal. It is also not the time to push it with the exercise. It is the time to rest and take it easy. You will have plenty of time for exercise later. Right now, just get used to your new band and let it become your new best friend. The magic of the band is not losing weight at breakneck speed. The magic of the band is keeping that weight off for the long haul.

Hang in there...it will get better...we promise!

Patience! Easier said than done. I read something in Martha Becks new book (Four day win, Way to thinner peace) that really let me ease up on the self-critism for not losing faster. She said that the #1 best way to lengthen your life was to wear your seatbelt. Still, that tiny change is so hard for so many people. My DH got a $90 ticket for not wearing it, and he still doesn't click it. My kids, who are way old enough to know better, still have to be reminded. So if they have trouble with a tiny change like that, why should I beat myself up for not losing weight faster when I'm trying to change a lifetime of bad habits?

I have found that the band has helped so much with the crazy cravings. You are new to the band, and still need to heal, but someday soon you'll notice that you don't have that irresistable urge to cheat and your weight loss will be slow, but REAL. Be kind to yourself while you are healing and treat yourself to non-food pleasures. It will happen.

Impatience is the #1 cause of being overweight.

We want what we want, NOW.

Perfectionism is the #2 cause of being overweight.

Well, I blew it, so I might as well eat everything "wrong" for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow. Okay, maybe the next day. Or Monday.

The bandster life is a totally new start. It is learning that there is a more moderate and rational relationship with food.< /p>

I'm 17 months out, and still losing. Read that sentence again.

No rush. Patience. Moderation.

Take a breath, calm down, focus your attention on healing that band in your abdomen really, really nicely, so there are no nasty problems later. You want that tool well-installed, because Jack is right (as usual!)~~this is a marathon, not a sprint.