Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question please answer. I'm scared

I have been up worried it is almost time for my surgery Monday and today I go for my EGD at 6:30am I can't sleep. I am scared crazy at this point about both my EGD and the actual surgery. My question is did everyone on here have to do a sleep study test. My surgeon office did a sleep study consult and submitted my paperwork to a sleep a study place but my insurance denied the claim saying it wasn't medically necessary. My co-worker went to the same surgeon and said she didn't do one either. But this is part of a pulmonary test I guess to see if you have sleep apnea. I am scared please answer if you know something. I think my mind is playing tricks on me the closer I get to the surgery date.

A couple things, the gastric study will be a piece of cake. They'll get you ready (and if real nervous they can give you a 'calm' pill, so ask for it if needed) and then they'll say 'are you ready/", and then you'll wake up and it's over. Great practice for the sleeve surgery!

As for the sleep study, there are MANY kinds, work with your pulmonologist for the type that your insurance will pay for. I admit some confusion, since if tou have symptoms of sleep apnea, (see below), I am unsure why the insurance gets into it at all..

What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?

... The most common signs and symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

• Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
  • Loud snoring, which is usually ...

read full answer on mayoclinic.com

Common sleep apnea symptoms include:

• Waking up with a very sore or dry throat
  • Loud snoring
  • Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation ...

read full answer on webmd.com

I don't have none of the symptoms at all I was just curios if anyone did not have to do a sleep study and still had the surgery...thanks for listing all that great info....I am sure I will appreciate everything after the surgery I just don't know why I am so scared right now

I had already done a sleep study at another time and have been using a CPAP machine for a few years. It really makes a huge difference for me. If I don't use it for a night, it feels like I have a nasty hangover. Wearing a mask to sleep took some "getting used to" but it was worth it for me.

Hi makingadjustments, I think what you are feeling and thinking is all entirely normal. In some ways, looking back I wish I'd freaked out a little before surgery, but I didn't, I freaked out when I came out of surgery "what the hell did I just do"?????? Just wanted to reassure you and tell you those thoughts will settle and many many people have them. I also had remorse initially, but that has settled too. I suppose you have to ask yourself the question "Would I be happy if I didn't go through with the surgery, and just stay exactly the same as I am right now???" You've been wanting this change. It's just pre surgery jitters. If you feel having the surgery is really really wrong, can you call the surgery and discuss with someone from their support team?

I didn't have to do a sleep study, but I was a cash pay patient, so perhaps that is why. I told the surgeon I didn't have sleep apnea and that was enough. In truth, I do snore, so it was a possibility, but I did fine through surgery. I was a very scared the closer I got to surgery as well. You'll do fine. Everyday is better than the day before.

I was referred for a sleep study. I decided not to do it. I still had surgery. I did have an EKG which was mandatory. Good luck!!

I didn't have to do a sleep study because I had no symptoms associated with sleep apnea. Frankly I think having a sleep study if you have no symptoms of apnea is a waste of money - yours, the insurance company's, etc. It isn't required for other surgeries, even for obese people, so I don't know why it's so often required for this. For example, my friend's mom had a knee replacement and she is morbidly obese, and no one even mentioned a sleep study for her. So I really don't think they are necessary for every surgery. Just remember that the risks for this surgery are incredibly tiny but the rewards can be amazing when you follow the program! Take care and good luck, you will be on the loser's bench in no time :)

I had sleep apnea & had to do a sleep study prior to surgery. My last sleep study was over 10 years ago. Because I had sleep apnea, a current study was mandatory.

Your jitters are normal. The EGD is a piece of cake. Believe me, when it's all said and done, you will love your sleeve.

Good luck & keep us posted.

thank you everyone for responding. I am back home and the procedure well let me just say this I never even saw the room they pushed me in to do it lol. I was in la la land and asked if I could have more of the meds when I woke up #addicted lol. I am no longer scared I did ask about all of my concerns and all of my questions were answered and I feel very comfortable now.

I'm glad thing went smoothly for you and all your concerns/questions were answered.

Awesome.