Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Elias Ortiz - A lighter Me

Thinking of using Dr. Elias Ortiz for sleeve surgery. Anyone used him?

My mother and went down to TJ in Feb. and we used Drs. Valenzuela and Cabrera and they were fantastic to us. We made sure that they are both certified bariatric surgeons with over 2000+ bariatric surgeries done with no leaks!!. We booked thru Mexico Bariatric Center and I have to say that they were wonderful also to us.

I heard bunch of the patients are furious that have been lied to by ALighterMe. They have been told by A Lighter Me that they are having surgery with Dr. Alejandro Lopez Ortega and when they received the paperwork it was Dr. Ortiz. Dr. Lopez does not work with ALighteMe anymore. So be careful who does the surgery.

That happened to my friend also!! she was inquiring about surgery with Dr. Alejandro Lopez and when she got her surgery consent form it had a Dr Ortiz name on it!!! when she tried to talk to the coordinator there about that her whole demeanor changed and she said that she had to stay with Dr Ortiz!!!!!! she went with another company named Mexico Bariatric and they were very open and clear with her, no surprises!!

I think that was BC Lopez left so Ortiz took over their surgeries that were scheduled. At least that is what Is told.

Lopez left??? they just told my friend who wanted surgery with him that he could do her surgery but the way the coordinator was talking made her feel like it wasn't the truth!!!

I also had Dr Ortiz. He was great!!!Everyone was awesome even the nurses. I was sleeved on September 23rd. He was very affordable as well!!!

I think you were lucky!! because when my girlfriend talked to one of the coordinators there at A lighterme , one of them said he has done 400 bariatric surgeries and was not a certified bariatric surgeon and then the very next day she called and talked with another coordinator there and she was told that Dr. Ortiz did 600 surgeries!!and that he was certified and then gave her a definition of what "certified" meant!! He must of been very busy that night! LOL

I have Ortiz on Nov. 14

Ask if he is a certified bariatric surgeon!! he could be a fantastic person and doctor but I would not want a podiatrist or ob/gyn to do my bariatric surgery!!!

I think you were lucky!! because when my girlfriend talked to one of the coordinators there at A lighterme ' date=' one of them said he has done 400 bariatric surgeries and was not a certified bariatric surgeon and then the very next day she called and talked with another coordinator there and she was told that Dr. Ortiz did 600 surgeries!!and that he was certified and then gave her a definition of what "certified" meant!! He must of been very busy that night! LOL[/quote']

Lol

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz two months ago today. He is very professional and skilled. I never once felt insecure or uncomfortable with him. It is scary to pick a doctor. I honestly prayed over it and picked the one I felt most comfortable about. I researched him as much as I could, and didn't find a negative thing about him. He spent as much time as I needed with me. The whole ALighterMe team was professional and exactly where they said they would be. My driver and contacts there were always available. I went by myself and didn't once feel alone unless I chose to be in my room alone. There are other sleevers at the hospital and hotel to chat with and get to know. It was an all-around good experience for me. My recovery was easy. In fact, the day I got back to the hotel, I walked to Walmart and did some shopping.

I did the same thing!! I prayed about it ..a lot and went with Drs. Valenzuela and Cabrera and the great team at Mexico Bariatrics. I think there is a lot of confusion because there are a lot of companies with lots of doctors and you can only so much researching until it all starts to blend into one !!! I am really glad that we did our sleeves, I feel so much healthier now and would do it again in a second!! Thank you MBC!!! :wub:

I'm considering getting sleeved by him as well

Hey ask the right questions for sure, My mom and I did our sleeves in Feb. and we are doing fantastic and have lost over 75 lbs!! We went with Mexico Bariatrics at www.mexicobariatriccenter.com they were wonderful to us both and it really was "doable" I wish we did not wait 3 years to do this just because we had so many fears about doing surgery in TJ but they were really great to work with and every one is sooo nice in Mexico. I loved it!!

Well who would you suggest? I'm really open to all suggestions...

Angelia , ask the right questions and find out if he is a certified bariatric surgeon!!! I think that he is not!! that scares me!!!

I would caution anybody to do their homework. I would also caution anybody to be careful what to take as facts and what to take as here say. From what I've read of this thread, there's some of both.

Well who would you suggest? I'm really open to all suggestions...

I would suggest the one's who did my mother and my surgeries!! Drs. Valenzuela and Cabrera or even Lopez!! I have helped 4 of my friends go to them and we all work together as nurses!! and we are doing fantastic . I know that the doctors have to start somewhere but it is way better to be number 2050 than 301!!!! :)

I would caution anybody to do their homework. I would also caution anybody to be careful what to take as facts and what to take as here say. From what I've read of this thread, there's some of both.

Hey Katie you are probably right but I really want the people to know that there are options and we had such a great experience in TJ, and our doctors were really super nice, professional and superb surgeons. As a BSN trained nurse working in a large pysch unit, I see how being over weight can really affect patients in such a negative manner. I just want to share and hopefully decrease some peoples fears about going to TJ for surgery and get on their paths to a healthier life!!Your journey started with Ortiz and ours started with Valenzuela and Cabrera!! and in the end we all end up being healthier :D

I am scheduled for Nov 13 with Elias Ortiz. I chose him BC I spoke to several people that have used him. He's newer but he does 600 of these a year so I know he is more experienced than nearly any sleeve surgeon in the US.

Hey Bob if you have any questions about the surgery you can just ask me and I would be glad to help you out Katie BSN

Lopez left??? they just told my friend who wanted surgery with him that he could do her surgery but the way the coordinator was talking made her feel like it wasn't the truth!!!

Lopez started Specialized Bariatric Inc...I think that is the right name!

Lopez started Specialized Bariatric Inc...I think that is the right name!