Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium and muscle growth

I read today that an ample amount of magnesium is required in the blood stream to promote lean muscle and reduce body fat. This is especially true for those that consume large quantities of Protein. Did not know this. I seem to have a somewhat difficult time building muscle and real strength despite eating large amount of Protein and consistent training week after week. The recommendation dose of magnesium is 900 mg daily, perhaps spread out in 3 doses of 300 mg to minimize diarrhea triggered by taking recommended dose all at once. The muscle growth comes from the ionization or breakdown of magnesium in the blood stream. Sorry I do not have more information nor do I have any online references to back up this statement (read it In a muscle magazine today).

There are many other benefits to getting an adequate supply of magnesium:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

I take opti-men, but magnesium DV is 25 % of 400 mg if I take 3 a day. I usually take 2 a day,one for Breakfast and one for lunch so I really get < 25 %. To hit 900 mg , I am going to need to start taking supplementation. I want more muscles!! I am pretty lean in waist, but chest is bulky (read: triangle build). Legs, arms and shoulders need more bulking!! You know I lift consistently and workout doing cross fit from my posts. I do not eat most of the foods on the list of the link above. If I do,it is very small quantities of, say, spinach on rare occasion.i mostly each Protein with a green supplement daily and 2 small portions of veggies a day.

Somehow spinach mixed into my sweet shake does not sound appealing. I will need to find another way. :)

Somehow spinach mixed into my sweet shake does not sound appealing. I will need to find another way. :)

My shakes are sweet, too. For some reason you don't taste the spinach when it's mixed in with something sweet. It's true, give it a try. I even make them for my kids and my husband. They don't taste the spinach either. You just have to get past the green color.:)

I know that when I'm low in Magnesium I get an eye twitch. I was looking up what can cause an eye twitch and one thing was low magnesium. I started taking it again and my eye twitch went away.

I didn't know this, but have heard that magnesium plays a role in muscle recovery. But perhaps that's similar.......

Good to know Fiddle.......thanks!

This link was very interesting and I learned a few things. I have magnesium supplements at home. I have had the eye twitching lately so I am starting them back up. Thanks for this post! :)

Fiddle....I am allergic to spinach but I put kale in my Protein shakes all the time. I Mix it up in the Vitamin with some Fiber one as well. It comes out quite tasty, extra filling and still sweet. The kale cannot be tasted bit it does add volume. I will also occasionally throw in a few pieces of frozen fruit which will sweeten it up even further if need be.

I've start eating some kale in the form of kale chips my wife makes. They are quite tasty and it only takes 1-2 to satisfy.they provide quite a burst of intense flavor and a little crunchiness.

Kale chips are great but does 1-2 provide much nutrition? I put 2 cups worth in my kale shakes. Blended up it isn't much but drinking that twice a day I get way more leafy greens than I'd otherwise get.

No, no nutrition. :) just a blast of taste in the mouth. I will try the mixing of Protein Powder and greenery once I get up the courage for it.