Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curves Vs Gym

Has anyone have any thoughts on Curves? I was thinking about joining after I get my clearence to excersie, but friends have suggusted a "regular" gym would be better. I thought maybe I would start with Curves, because it would be short workout ad maybe I could build up my stamina and try other things later. Has anyone started out like this and had success? Any other suggustions?

I joined curves in 2005 for a yr. I was faithful for 8 mths. I didn't loose much weight because I had a hard time dieting. I did loose inches and felt a lot better. My only thing is I signed a yr contract and after 8 mths I was BURNED out of the same old routine. I think I want to join back too, but just not sign a yr. contract. You have to pay more per month, but you can stop at anytime.

Hi,

I also joined curves did my year it really did nothing for me join a real gym you will get much more out of it. I go to a place like curves now it is called contures express if they have one of those I would join it. It is set up like curves but the machines are alot better they are weight type so you can increase you weights as you build strenght and I feel so much better since I joined. JMO, Tracey

Well I think the best exercise is the one you will stick with, and Curves is a supportive atmosphere that many people like.

I had a few free passes and for me, I found it a bit lame. I'm pretty naturally athletic, and I love my running and if I were going to really get into strength training, I'd life the heavy weights with the boys in the gym, as I'm fairly comfortable in that sort of an environment.

A 29 minute workout just doesnt really appeal and I like really HARD aerobic exercise, I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie.

But if you have to make yourself exercise, you're not experienced in a gym or you never really want to put any more into it than you absolutely have to, or you just dont have the time, then its a great way for many women to exercise.

I just cancelled my membership to Curves. Please no offense to the older banders, but at 31, I just cant work up a sweat to the oldies! I was always by far the youngest person there, so requesting a music change wasnt an option. After a year or so, the routine was VERY old for me. The gym I joined recently is fantastic (LA Fitness if there is one in your area). At first I was intimidated by the size and because I am shy at the gym, but its been great. i can get on the treadmill for a half hour and then go work on some machines. Yes, Curves is great for a beginner gym or for working up to getting a real workout, but being stuck in a year contract will make it tough to step it up when you will need to.

I didnt like curves. I like to work out hard, so I joined Jazzercise and love it. You really work hard and the group setting is awesome. The instructors are wonderful and very supportive.Some of those ladies have become very good friends.

I also belonged to Curves... for about a month. I got bored with the machines and the women that just went there to gossip. I have since joined a gym and have been at it since last June and LOVE it!!

I was a member of Curves. I don't recommend it for a long period of time. The routine is the same everyday and it costs more than a gym. You can join an aerobic class at a gym, I think you can benefit more from that. You also have the flexible hours and variety.

I feel the same as most people here. I joined curves and just didn't feel a great workout from it, plus got really bored with the routine. Once I joined a regular gym I LOVED it (mostly cause they have TV's on every machine LOL). But stick with what you love! And BTW, the thing I love the most is an hour of jogging every day outside - doesn't even relate to the gym!

ACE, the American Council on Exercise, did a study and found the average person burns 184 calories per Curves workout. Bummer. But read the whole article because they don't entirely trash Curves.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/curves.aspx

Excerpt:

Here are the facts: Curves for Women is the largest fitness franchise on the planet, with more than 8,500 locations worldwide. Since its inception in 1992, more than four million women have joined the 30-minute circuit-training gyms. And it's now the fastest-growing franchise—in any industry—in U.S. history.

The Results

Researchers found that the total 30-minute Curves workout burns an average of 184 calories, while the 25-minute circuit alone burns 163 calories. "Intensity-wise it's similar to walking four miles an hour [for 30 minutes] on a flat treadmill," says Greany. "So it's a moderate-intensity workout."

The thing is, there's loads of people out there who will never be athletic.

For many many people, the goal of exercise is to keep them out of the cardiac ward, not to make them look like a triathlete. Half an hour's walking a day, or something like curves will maintain your muscle, keep your heart healthy, and is wonderful for older people who are not so mobile, or for those who are heavier and cant do more without discomfort.

For fat loss, you can get more benefit by working way harder and longer, but if Curve's is what you'll stick to, then its perfect.

But I agree, I wouldnt go signing up for a year's contract because I think for the younger person hampered by weight, they're going to want a more challenging workout once some of the weight has disappeared.

Thank you all for your imput. After hearing all of your valuable advice I doubt I will be joining Curves. I think a better start maybe just going to the "regular" gym that is not so limited. I spoke with a personal trainner yesterday, and not that I can meet with him every day, but he can guide me and set up a routine because I am so clueless about working out. My pre-op class stressed weight trainning with a cardio workout, so I'll probably start with him. My surgery is Feb. 5th, but for me it is important to be prepared so I hit the ground running. This is an amazing site and I can't thank you enough for all you insight.:huggie:

Has anyone have any thoughts on Curves? I was thinking about joining after I get my clearence to excersie, but friends have suggusted a "regular" gym would be better. I thought maybe I would start with Curves, because it would be short workout ad maybe I could build up my stamina and try other things later. Has anyone started out like this and had success? Any other suggustions?

I have been doing Curves for about two month i love it I found that my body has tone alot I have been band since 11/28 I have lost 33 pound .

I have been doing Curves for about two Month I love it, I found that my body has tone alot I have been band since 11/28 I have lost 33 pound

My 2 cents worth. I joined Curves as soon as the doc said I could exercise and stayed a member for the first year, but I added walking 30 minutes 3x per week then decided I needed more cardio and weight training, so I joined the local gym. I called the girls at Curves my first year's cheerleaders after my band.

IMO, Curves is a great starting place and a good workout for those with bad jointes, etc, and I loved the support there. At our local Curves, they measure and weigh you once a month and offered daily motivation and support while you were there. I miss that part now in going to the local gym instead but the gym has so much more equipment to use and you can switch things around in your exercise routine.

Good luck on your journey.