Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Missouri!

Hello Fellow Missourians!!! I Started My 10 Day Pre-op Yesterday. I Have Surgery On March 12... I Am Afraid These 10 Days Will Be The Death Of Me. I Am Unable To Tolerate The Protein Dirinks. I Am Not Really Hungry, But I Am Not Drinking Either. Idi Dso Good.... At Work Yesterday, I Passed Up A Completed Catered In Breakfast, A Going Away Celebration Of Cake, Icecream And Punch And dinner. I Was Feeling Weak Towards End Of Day So I Went To Bed Early. Today, I Have Bottle Of Water In Hand With Me. Hubby Went To Eat A Tfast food Place I Watched Him Eat I Drank Water. Bought Kids Some Food To Take Home, I Went To Chinese Restaurant And Ordered Me Some Soup To Go. I Am Still Not Hungry, But Am Worried About The Lack Of Protein. Any Suggestions? Liquids...i Hate liquids Only!!!!!

Sharon I wanted to check and see how things are going. How you feeling? I hope preop is going well. The 12th is quickly approaching!

Yes, I see it is just around the corner. I saw Pitt on Tuesday for pre-op... I had cheated the night prior on the pre-op But he did nto mind, he stated he cheated too. He was unable to go the full 10 days... He said if I had too, just choose wisely. So I have a few times. But scared to death of surgery it self. How are you doing? I did not make it to last night meeting. Wanted to but just was not able to get there.

Sharon

Hi everyone,

I get so mad when I think about how insurance companies will pay to keep me sick with all of these co-morbidities but they won't pay a relatively small fee to help me stay healthy for life. Somebody tell me something good about insurance. Has anything improved in the last couple of years?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Anna in St. Louis

I'll tell ya that if an insurance company will pay....that is great!!! Even if you have to jump through hoops. My DH was just supportive enough to sign home equity papers for my self-pay. I am denied private insurance because of my BMI with no health problems!!! He is not offered insurance through his job. And his W-2 form for taxes shows that my surgery total will be about $1200 more than his wages for last year!!!!! I can't even get insurance until I lose BIG!! I have chosen to stay home with DD Mazie until she is two. We are recovering from a job loss last year and it's difficult to "ellect" to spend that kind of dough. But, worth every penny I hope.

To all other self-payers I hope it is not a financial burden but a begining of better health...luck and my thoughts to all!

Sharon, I am doing well. Today is the day! I hope that everything goes well as I am sure it will! As soon as you feel up to it, let me know how everything is going.

I am back home and am doing fine......... will touch base later........ thank you for being there... just going to lie down for a bit before kids get home from school

sharon

Sharon67------Congratulations on surgery day!!!!!!!I hope you have a painless and speedy recovery.....You are in my thoughts!!!Great to hear that you made it home...............Thinking possitive even in recovery makes you healthier...GOOD LUCK

besides being bored.... i feel fine... have had zero pain....... a little nausea, but a little is so much better than normally after surgery for me.... not hungry... throat isa little scratchy and mouth stays dry/ i have sippy cup in hand and bought some sugar free mints to suck on. i walked 4 blocks last night since i could not lie still..........today i am off work and i have plans to go get my hair done since it didi not get done prior to surgery.... I just like change an dwhy not start off all together with change? i had finally told all co-workers in my department 5 people... that i was having surgery. seemed ok with it, no redidicule. although two plus another that knew from a nother department are the ones that called to cehck on me. oh well it is done now.... i just hated answering questions about the preop diet..why why why.... so i explained...... will write more later.....

Sharon, it's good to hear from you! I am glad to hear you aren't having pain! That is fantastic! :) The walking will help you heal better than anything. I remember being up walking a lot because I too couldn't lie still. Having never had surgery before, that really surprised me.

Getting a new hairstyle is a wonderful idea! New Sharon in 2007!! Isn't it wonderful to be able to look to the future and see good things?!? I see possiblities ahead that I never even dreamed about before.

Dealing with others can be difficult when it comes to your surgery. It's private but people seem to think everything is their business so they ask all kinds of questions. At first I was very private about it but I have opened up a great deal and I receive wonderful comments from people. There have been a few times that I wished I'd have kept my mouth shut but mostly, I am happy it's out there. I wouldn't want to worry about someone finding out and judging me privately. It does get easier to deal with. I have found that the people who seem to look down on me for having the surgery are the same ones who judged me for being overweight. Funny how when you take a step to help yourself and some people stay determined to burn you for it. Their problem I figure.

Denise---I hope you too are well!! Any advice on my upcoming pre-op diet? it starts the 19th....maziemommy

I am doing well, thanks! The pre-op diet can be tough but not impossible. For me, it got easier after the first few days. My advice, remind yourself often of why you are doing it. It's a great motivator! Also, keep yourself busy. You may not have a ton of energy so keep that in mind but staying busy always helps me take my mind off food. At the time, it seemed to take forever but looking back, it doesn't seem like it was that long afterall. I just knew that I needed to do it. You will do great!! :)

Well today has been a busy day. Woke at 5am and did not gop back to sleep. Had hair colred and cut, went with hubby to adr appointment and went to visit co-workers (same building) they were eating lunch and talking about me when I walked in. They are all interested in getting banded now...... they had to feel my port and look at my belly... fun!!! it was alright... they were calling me brave and amazing to go through with it. Better outcome from them than expected. But I work tomorrow and have 4 hour class after work tomorrow night... That will make for a very long day...

How many days am I supposed to be on Clear liquids again? Before I adjust to consistancy that could go through a straw , then my mushy stuff? I am so totally confused. I think Sylvia told me yesterday that after two days I could move on to the consistancy to go through a straw but not really sure any more.

I think you're right, I think it's two days. When I first read that your co-workers were talking about you I was concerned but then I read on. That is awesome! I have a friend who would like to do it but probably never will. She keeps telling me how brave I am and that she could never really go through with it. Funny, I never saw it as brave. :phanvan

Tomorrow sounds like it will be a long day indeed. You will probably be so worn out. I hope you have a smooth transition back into work and classes.

yeah..good to go for tomorrow....long day ahead of me.

took a bite of tuna tonight. hubby and son went to subway and i took about an ounce of their sandwhich and it took me even longer to eat it than it took them to eat 12 inches.......

Sharon67----It sounds like you must be doing great!!!!Headed back to work and all.....As far as co-workers go I think most people I talk to just seem curious and interested.....Of course most who say they want it too don't really know how much commitment or work it is and will be.GOOD LUCK WITH THEM ALL!! What can you share with me about pre-op diet? Wishing you well....maziemommy