Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Missouri!

Hi everyone,

I am in St. Louis and I am looking into getting banded at the New Start program with Dr. Van Wagner. I just filled out all the paperwork. Does anyone out there have UHC Choice Plus H? I was turned down after appeal a couple of years ago when I had BCBS because of contract exclusion and no clause for medical necessity. I get so mad when I think about how insurance companies will pay to keep me sick with all of these co-morbidities but they won't pay a relatively small fee to help me stay healthy for life. Somebody tell me something good about insurance. Has anything improved in the last couple of years?

We had dinner with a friend last night who said Dr. Wagner told her that she would do better with the RNY because she told him that she hates to exercise and doesn't plan on doing any ever! I don't know about you... I am ready for this weight to disappear as much as anyone but given the research I have done, I would rather do the lap band. I too, loathe exercise and I hope I am not fooling myself here but I think significant, sustained weight loss will inspire me to exercise. If nothing else I do not want the sagging skin problem. This friend claimed she had done quite a bit of research too and she didn’t think the lap band was the best choice anymore. She didn’t convince me but she did get me thinking. I just can’t wait to hear what the surgeon recommends for me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Anna in St. Louis

Anna: all docs have their preferences.. my doc happens to prefer the band so that is what he does. I think no matter what you decide or your friend decides it is your journey to follow. I have two friends that had the bypass and both have done really well... but I knew for me.. the band is my path.

Hello, I am in Jefferson City. I am going through Dr. Pitt in Columbia. He not only performs the lapband but is even a patient.... and he does the gastric bypass too. It is ultimately the patients choice, I am scheduled for lapband on March 12. This is my preference, less invasive... hopefully I will see substancial loss soon after to motivate me to keep moving ....

Hello, I am in Jefferson City. I am going through Dr. Pitt in Columbia. He not only performs the lapband but is even a patient.... and he does the gastric bypass too. It is ultimately the patients choice, I am scheduled for lapband on March 12. This is my preference, less invasive... hopefully I will see substancial loss soon after to motivate me to keep moving ....

Hey Sharon! Dr. Pitt is my surgeon as well! He is an awesome doctor! In a weird way, it made me feel better to have him as my surgeon because he knows EXACTLY what I'm going through. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. If you have any questions, just ask.

Somebody tell me something good about insurance.

Best regards,

Anna in St. Louis

Something good about insurance....in my experience, I thought my insurance company was going to be difficult to deal with but they really weren't. They did say they had a cap of $10,000 that they would pay for WLS but when it came down to it, they paid more. I walked away only paying $1,000 which to be is amazing! Good luck on your journey!

Hey Sharon! Dr. Pitt is my surgeon as well! He is an awesome doctor! In a weird way, it made me feel better to have him as my surgeon because he knows EXACTLY what I'm going through. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. If you have any questions, just ask.

So you also went through Dr. Pitt? I guess you know he had the surgery himself?! How big was he previously? He is still large... but I was not sure where he started at.... Did you have any problems? do you make it to any of the support groups on the one thursday night of the month? The next on is on March 8th. Please tell me anything you can.... how did you survive the 10 pre-op? I will be starting that soon... Not looking forward to that though. Please give me some insight to anything you can.

thanks,

sharon

I guess you know he had the surgery himself?!

You mean his surgery? Sylvia told me that a buddy of his did it for him.... He says he has only lost about 30 lbs. but he sure looks like he has lost more. I can really tell he's lost.

Problems as far as surgery, none. My surgery went smoothly. Dr. Pitt told my hubby that the surgery went really well and not long after surgery I was up making laps around the hospital and went home at about 5:00ish (surgery was around 11:00). I never had to take any pain meds. The only pain if you will that I had was the gas pain. It was mostly uncomfortable so I was up walking a lot to move it out and it didn't last too long.

I have only been to one support meeting and that was this months. I live north of Columbia and it seems like the weather has not be favorable for me to go before now. I really enjoyed it and would love to attend every month but it takes me over an hour to get to Columbia so I get home late so I probably won't make it as much as I would like. I'm sure you know they have a clothing exchange before the meeting starts which is a really good idea since we are changing sizes so often.

Pre-op diet, that something I don't want to do again anytime soon. :) But seriously, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. After the first few days, it got easier. I experienced headaches the first few days that were difficult but that eventually went away. I bought up a ton of SF Jello and bought some broth and SF Popsicles and thought I would just be inhaling them but I didn't. I used to love Jello but I can't stand the stuff now. I started out eating at least 6 little cups a day and ended up eating only 1 cup the day before surgery. I don't care if I ever see the stuff again! :speechles I went through my fridge after surgery and gave all of it to my sister.

While the pre-op diet wasn't a walk in the park, I was determined to get through it. I knew it meant the difference between laparoscopic surgery and open surgery and I didn't want the big incision. I was really happy I stuck to it like I did and I lost 29 lbs! That was a huge benefit!

This journey, although it has only been about 3 1/2 months, has been awesome! It was the best decision I ever made (short of marrying my dh that is!). My dh was really reluctant when we first started discussing it but now, he is as big an advocate for lapband as I am. He sees the amazing changes in me daily and we both couldn't be happier!

One thing that I don't remember being told (although I probably was but with all the info, I forgot) is that the first 6 weeks after surgery is for healing. If you happen to lose weight during that time, it's a bonus. Your body is needing to heal so don't get discouraged. When my weight loss started slowing down a few weeks out, I was disappointed but after my first fill, things started going great guns again. I have had 3 fills and one unfill. My band got too tight right after Christmas and we had to remove some Fluid but now I have lost enough weight that I actually needed the .5 cc we removed, so he put it back in last week.

Dr. Pitt is an excellent surgeon! I haven't talked to any of his patients that aren't completely satisfied with his work. You are in great hands! And Boone County Hospital is great as well. The staff was phenomenal! :biggrin1:

Whew! I'm long winded this morning!

I have only been to one support meeting and that was this months.

I was at that meeting. Maybe I saw you. Where do you live? Are you from the kirksville area (I beleive that was the area)? If so, I believe we sat next to each other. If you remember, let me know where you sat. I had my 17 year old daughter with me that night...

I look forward to seeing you whenever you do go to the meetings.. I will be going on March 8th.

I am getting more nervous as the days go by. I had my chest x ray done today. Also, I had my ekg... not sure about that..... it showed some abnormalities on it. but I work with the person that did my ekg, and she said not to worry, but of course now I am really worried. maybe something is wrong and maybe if it is too bad I will not get to have surgery. I have no idea. Will have to get more inforation at work tomorrow. Or even retake the ekg....

I am from the Kirksville area and I do believe I set right next to you! How ironic! I am ready for the nice weather to be here for good so I can come more often to the meetings. I had an appt. with Dr. Pitt last Friday and all was well until I decided to head home about 4:45ish and ran into a bad snow storm and had to drive 35-50 mph the whole way home!

Sounds like your getting your pre-op things over with. Those last few hoops to jump through. I had to retake my EKG because the hospital lost mine. Thankfully they only charged me for one. :(

The closer and closer surgery came, the more nervous I got. In fact, the morning of surgery, I was ready to leap off the table while they were getting me ready and run out. I don't even remember the ride in the bed from the pre-op room to the surgery room; I just remember arriving there. I was petrified! The last thing I remember before being put out was that I was going to die. Then when I woke up, I was getting ready to tell them I had changed my mind but then realized it was all over. I am happy now but that morning, I thought I was nuts!

Are you planning to take some time off work after surgery? I could have went back sooner than I did but everyone said to take a week. I'm glad I did because I was still needing an afternoon nap those last few days. Some days I would still go for one if I could. :) Hopefully you will get good news about your EKG today!

Yes, that was me... that was you I sat next too....

Actually, you geave me this forum website. the one I had been on I did not correspond much. Thanks, for talking to me that night. I am like you as for being so nervous. I am always petrified that I am going to die during surgery. I have had several surgies, I have always been afraid of this. That is my main concern. I will do the same, I will want to tell them never mind forget it. It is not necessary. But I would have the nagging feeling thta I just have to get through this.

I had one of our cardiologist look over my ekg today, it did have some infarctions on it, but that is nothing "real" only imitation. He said I should not worry. So I am more relieved now. My xray came back --clean. The blood work I will have drawn Monday and fax over to Dr. pitt. I t really helps working in the medical field so I do not have to go through all the torment of waiting for appointments like some others do. I just go to the right person and get it done, or do it myself.

How long did your surgery last? As for taking off work, I am scheduled to have the surgery on a Monday, an dI am off that Tuesday. that is all. I hope I can function.

Again, it was really nice to meet you.

I'm glad everything turned out ok with your EKG. I bet it is an advantage to work in the medical field. There have been a few times when that would have been nice. I think my surgery was only like 45 mins. (If I'm remembering right.) Not bad at all. March is just a few days away!! :biggrin1:

I was looking at your stats last night, telling my husband how good you have done! Any secrets you could share? I am not banded yet,records turned in, I know my BMI is enough,I have HBP,Type 2 Diabetic. And I have 3 insurances, 2 cover lap band, so I should not be out of pocket much. Just waiting for approval! I am always afraid to go under also. Congrats on your success so far!

I am new to this website, so please forgive any mistakes. Am considering lap-band as it is less invasive, but have plenty of questions. I am near St. Louis, MO and am looking for a reputable surgeon. I also am concerned with insurance, I am double covered thru GHP (Coventry) and am wondering if anyone has this insurance and whether it was paid. Thanks for any answers, it is greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any seminars that are available.:help:

I was looking at your stats last night, telling my husband how good you have done! Any secrets you could share? I am not banded yet,records turned in, I know my BMI is enough,I have HBP,Type 2 Diabetic. And I have 3 insurances, 2 cover lap band, so I should not be out of pocket much. Just waiting for approval! I am always afraid to go under also. Congrats on your success so far!

Thank you! Secrets, not really. I told my hubby that if I was going to go through with the surgery, that I was going to make it work for me! I watch my diet closely and while I am not eating perfectly all the time, I try to keep my calories low. I have found that zig-zagging my calorie intake has helped me a lot. I will eat about 800 calories per day for a few and then eat 1200. It keeps my body guessing and losing. I also change up my exercise routine. I walk as well as ride the bike, do crunches, light weight lifting and do a cardio dance video.

One thing that I have gained through this is willpower. I can't say that I don't get hungry because I do, but I don't give in like I use to. I also have just decided that I am not going to eat some foods much because they aren't good for me. For example, I rarely eat any sort of sweets, bread or Pasta. I love them and I know that I couldn't stop if I got started so I try to stay away.

Good luck to you! I hope your approval comes soon so you can get started on your new life! Keep us posted.

I am new to this website, so please forgive any mistakes. Am considering lap-band as it is less invasive, but have plenty of questions. I am near St. Louis, MO and am looking for a reputable surgeon. I also am concerned with insurance, I am double covered thru GHP (Coventry) and am wondering if anyone has this insurance and whether it was paid. Thanks for any answers, it is greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any seminars that are available.:help:

As far as that insurance company, I can't help but for a surgeon, I can. I had my surgery done by Dr. James Pitt with Columbia Surgical Associates through Boone County Hospital in Columbia, MO. He is fantastic!! He has not only done a lot of lapband surgeries, he has the band himself. It makes it really nice that my surgeon knows exactly what I am going through, not just what the books tell him!

Check out http://www.boone.org/bhc/ if you are interested. Right now on the home page it has his pic with one of his patients. Below that it has the calendar with a Weight Loss Surgery Seminar as the first item scheduled for 3/1. If you click you click on "Weight Loss Surgery Seminar", it will direct you to the page that list all his upcoming seminars.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck!!

I first called Mid January, I have filled out all of my papers, had a doctor check me out and had all of the blood work I needed, gone to a siminar, got my Pysch. evaluation, my papers should have been in Dr. Richerson's hands today and they will contact my insurance the first of the week, It will pay 100% if I am approved. I am sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!