Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

Hi Sara

Where are you having your surgery? I had to do 10 days pre-op on liquids - shakes and Soups - provided by the Healthier Weight Centre. I could also have 5 portions of fruit or vegetables each day. I really stuck to it - in fact some days I couldn't fit in all of the shakes and soups. If you are told to stick to a diet then do it - it is for your benefit - your liver will shrink making the op easier for the surgeon. And, from my experience, I think you recover quicker too. I was home, moving around and drinking, shakes, soups, coffee, etc., within 48 hours with no really bad pain at all - just lots of bruising and really swollen - but I do bruise very very easily. I am 10 days post-op and my scars have healed and I don't feel all that hungry - I think the pre-op diet is good for that too - gets you ready for the liquid part of your healing.

Thanks for the advice GC53, they did give me a diet actually, a BHF one which I havent really stuck too, but Ive started on a similar one to you a day ago, now Ive read your advice I'll certainly stick to it!! In fact I saw one post in the March bandsters and she said they had to make 6 incisions due to her liver size....that scared me I can tel you!

Well Im having the surgery done in a private Hsp in Wincherster (Hampshire) due in at 10.30am and for pre op tests (blood test etc) but my surgery's not till the afternoon...

Tell you what though, this op is all I can think about at the moment, its not the op itself, its how I'll cope after as in not eating what I want, when I want, and being restricted...Im desperate for the op dont get me wrong, but its the impact after Im worried about.....

Sara

I felt like that too just as the op came near. However I had the gastric balloon fitted in 2005 [this could only stay in for 6months] I lost about 2.5 stone and the way this worked was that I could basically eat whatever I wanted but because there was a balloon taking up most of your stomach space you ate smaller portions. But unfortunately when it was taken out I gradually put a lot of the weight back and was so frightened that I was going to end up back at my starting weight or even higher I decided that something permanent would be better. I know we now can't eat all the lovely food that we've enjoyed before but that is why we are all now in the same position of being overweight - because we've enjoyed the food too much. I am sure once we get back to eating normally after the liquids and the mushies we can eat the foods we like but smaller amounts. I think we have to get our heads around the question.... do we want to eat like we always have or do we want to be slim, fit and healthy.

Sara, you don't have to worry, your concerns are perfectly normal and I think I could safely say all of us felt the same.

As a bander I can tell you that it really does make a huge positive difference. I was thinking I would be gutted that my food would be dull and boring. That I would still feel hungry even though the band was making me feel sick because I was full.

The truth is that the band makes life a whole lot simpler. It is amazing how quickly you adapt to your new 'friend.' Don't think it's all plain sailing, there are days when your brain and your stomach are at odds and those are the days you discover what it means when people talk about PB'ing. In a peculiar way it's bit like a badge of honour if you do PB. Mind you only once! Hopefully you will learn what foods are no good for you pretty quickly. But, I know there are still some foods I try to eat and then end up going 'DOH!'

All your fears are natural and that is what these forums are here for, to educate and support.

Great to hear how you are doing G, well done! Let's hope that the hospital gets in touch with you soon. But, it is good to hear that you are healing nicely and feeling good.

Kind regards

Suzannex

Thanks CG & Suzanne for your advice.

I agree with you, I dont want to carry on on this food yo yoing cycle, and I certainly would love to be slim and healthy, OMG it will just be wonderful and liberating to feel slim again, the last time I was truely slim was in my teens I guess to be truthful. Shame these ops dont offer cognative behavioural therapy.......imagen having someone to off load all of the reasons why weve turned to food.......lol...be pretty awful for the listener though!!

I was thinking of taking a few days off work next week pre op, but someone at work advised against it, she said I'd be even worse than I am now! lol..

Thanks guys

Sara xx

I agree - worst thing would be to have time on your hands to think about food. I make wedding and celebration cakes and right up until Saturday evening I was busy finishing orders before I went for my surgery on the Sunday

Hi,

I had my op on the Nhs - I'm one of the lucky ones - but not when it comes to fills - the Nhs leaves a lot to be desired in that department - where I am anyhow - got to wait 5 months for mine - here's hoping I keep losing till the 26 Apr.

Good luck with your ops,

Yvonne

x

Hiya

I had my banding done on the NHS 6 weeks ago and to date have lost 1 stone 10 lbs. Had my 6 week post op check Tuesday 27th and could have had a fill then but my restriction is still good so have declined. My next appointment is in May and I can have a fill then if I need one but have been told to call if my restriction lessens between now and then and they'll arrange it for me. With Easter upon us, the wait will be about three weeks and all fills are done under x-ray apparently.

Love

MV

OMG thats great MV, thats nearly 2 stones in 6 weeks!! I have my surgery on Monday. Its so encouraging to hear your success!

OMG thats great MV, thats nearly 2 stones in 6 weeks!! I have my surgery on Monday. Its so encouraging to hear your success!

Thanks....I'm well pleased coz although I knew I'd lost a bit (the bath sheet actually met when I wrapped it around me...LOL) I wasn't expecting that much, especially as before the band I'd been totally unsuccesful with diets. Imagine my delight when she told me what I'd lost??? :clap2: Realistically I know it will slow down now but I really hope I can lose at least another stone or more by my next appointment in May. I'll be happy for it to slow then.

Good luck for Monday...will be thinking about you!

Love

MV

Hi Sara,

Good luck for the operationa and I think I said this before, I live 35mins away from Winchester and if you need someone to come and see you, let me know and I'll pop over. U r lucky to have it done in UK. I had mine in Belgium and I went there all on my own. Prior to my band op, I also had an operation on my foot a week before my operation so I in bandage and crutches and in alot of pain from my foot operation limping all the way on Eurostar to Belgium carring my 1small suitcase. I was in tears on the way back cos of pain from my foot rather than from my stomach incision. So u see that it is really not that bad. But I had a lovely bandster mate in the same room as me and we have supported each other from that day we both had the op right up till now, and we still meet up every few weeks. Support from bandster or any good friends who understand is very very important. The Band itself cant do the work. I should know. They are time like today when I still think of food 24-7 cos I've come on and I will try to put the food in to my mouth. All I end up doing is suffers in the end. It will be a slow process of 2years but we will all get there. Im lucky cos I didnt really have loads to lose. But because of my thyroid, I put on 3stone in 3 yrs and no exercise or diet could shift my excess weight. I hv lost nearly 2stones already in a short period of 7months, so have another 1 stone to combat when I will go down to 11stone. If I want to pursue it, I could go down to 10stone or less, but for me its not about being slim, rather its about being healthy and having a better quality life. U will get there. My friend who was operated the same as me was 2stone heavier than me, and she has lost nearly 3stone, The heavier you are, the faster your weight will go down. The 1st week, I can guarantee you from experience, you will lose 1stone straightaway. Yes, it can happen to you too. We are all alongside you. If you need any advise, we will all chip in with our own experience. So a very Good luck to your upcoming operation. (No easter egg for you though, sorry!!)

weight.png

hello guys - this is just to up date you .. I am still here and have healed well after surgery - just ready for the next phase (in the words of Tony Blair) that initial restriction (and euphoria|) felt after the op has faded now and I get awful hunger pangs.. am eating pretty much what I want but chewing and trying to be careful. I have an appointment in droitwich with a dietician, but no news about a fill yet.. I guess that'll be a while? In the meantime I returned to the gym and treadmill! doing about 2k in 20 mins. Good luck to you all and happy Easter!

annie:Bunny :Bunny :Bunny :Bunny

Hi suzanne how are you getting along? still in the land of size 16? thats's still a way off for me, but just taking a stone off I feel much healthier

He he, I am still in the 16 area for leingerie. Now sitting comfortably in 18 trousers. I can't quite figure out why I have to wear 16 knickers nad 18 trousers. It doesn't make sense does it? I got sick of having to keep pulling the 18 pants up!

I can relate to the feelings when you lose a decent amount of weight. It really does have quite an impact. I was really surprised. I didn't think I would feel anything until I got down to my lowest weight. It has been a really great surprise to recover such energy after losing a stone and a half!

I wonder what we will be like in a year from now??

Please let us be happy and slim!! I know weight shouldn't make any difference and I am constantly chastising my kids at school and my own children for making assumptions on a person simply from the way they look... but honestly I feel so much more confident when I'm less heavy, and like I can get on with life. This op has been drastic for me (like everyone on here) and I'm so fearful that it'll just end up being another failure for me.