Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op 3 weeks and Starving! What to eat?

I am Post-Op 3 weeks and no idea what to eat. I had one lousy example and it pretty much still liquids with some yogurt. I have list of Soft food choices, but no meal plans. I asked dietitian and she gave me a 6 week plan. HELP. I am sick of strained Soup and Jello. Doc says stay away from rice, potatoes, corn, Pasta and red meat. tuna fish in a can is no longer tolerated. I have had salmon and green Beans. But I am afraid when I do venture out to eat, that I am not eating enough or too much.

When I think of a meal, I think of meat, veggie, fruit. Now if I am eating a an ounce of each is that correct? The meal plans I have seen all involve one item...is that what I should be doing?

Someone on here has got to have some meal plans they can share. I need some help!

Weeks 3 and 4 should be puréed food... Soft foods are after that... I'm just about to enter week 3... 3 oz puréed chicken, beef, pork, veal turkey or white fleshed fish, 1/8 c veggies and 1/8 starch

My doc told me to skip Purees and to just chew, chew, chew. No starches. I have had halibut, tuna, and salmon and tried turkey this past weekend. Thanks for posting.

Every Doc is different. I am 24 days post op and have been on "soft foods" starting after 2nd week. I didn't have to do the puréed stage. My diet consists of cottage cheese, turkey chili (no beans), refried Beans with melted laughing cow cheese, egg whites, hard boiled eggs, SF pudding, Greek yogurt, tilapia, tuna and chicken salad, thin sliced turkey meat rolled with a little bit of reduced fat Swiss cheese. I still drink my Protein Drinks to get up to the 90 grams my Doc wants a day. Sign up for My Fitness Pal, that helped me a lot with keeping track of calories, Protein and liquid intake. Also take a look at The world According to Eggehead.com. She has some yummy and easy looking recipes. I am looking forward to making as soon I can! I hope this helps.

My doc told me to skip Purees and to just chew, chew, chew. No starches. I have had halibut, tuna, and salmon and tried turkey this past weekend. Thanks for posting.

My doc told me the same thing. I skipped purees. I'm allowed to have Cereal soaked in milk (kashi with protein), 1/2 piece of whole wheat toast with sugar free jam (bird seed bread I call it). Obviously eat in moderation.

I eat turkey meatballs. Just cut them up and chew well. Atkins frozen meals are okay as well. How about baking a piece of chicken, sprinkle with some seasoning (so it tastes like SOMETHING) and add some veggies on the side?

Basically anything I can chew really well I eat and I still lose a pound a day.

I'm 4 weeks on Wednesday and do you know what I ate for dinner last night. A BLT (minus the bread) I wrapped up a piece of turkey bacon, diced up tomatoes and wrapped it in a lettuce leaf. I had absolutely no problems eating it and it stayed down just fine.

Eat sensibly, Protein first and then add some veggies.

I am on soft foods now too, and it sounds like my guidelines are pretty similar to yours. One difference is that I am allowed ground beef or thinly sliced deli meat such as roast beef - not other forms of roast beef though.

My meal planning is not very inspiring, I'm afraid. A typical day for me might look like:

Breakfast: one poached egg over 1/4 c. fat free refried Beans OR 50 grams Greek yogurt with one tablespoon Peanut Butter stirred in OR two pieces of turkey bacon

Lunch: 1.5 oz sliced deli meat (usually turkey or roast beef) plus one babybel cheese plus 2 prunes OR 2 oz. chicken salad and 1 oz. broccoli salad from the deli counter

Dinner: 1.5 oz sardines plus 1 oz. cheese plus 1 oz. asparagus salad OR 2 oz. shrimp with hot sauce and blue cheese melted on top plus 1 ounce frozen mixed veggies.

I'm not allowed more than three ounces per meal total, and of that, at least 2 ounces has to be protein-rich food such as meat, dairy, eggs, or tofu.

Snacks are Protein Shakes, nothing else. And I'm not allowed starchy veggies, grain-based food, or sweets.

If you are on MyFitnessPal you might want to friend people at a similar stage to you and lurk their diaries to see what they eat. I get lots of ideas that way!

I stayed with the Protein shakes (Ensure) and slowly added some Soups into the mix at 3 weeks ... I used an immersion blender and it really helped.

I think you have to follow what your NUT says ... but they're are options out there ... just get creative!!

Best of luck!!

Thank you so much friends, this really helped me, I'm at 3 weeks & wasen't sure what to eat.

Thank you all! This has helped me know what else to try. Would love some bird seed bread, lol. :) Thank you all again!