Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bread lover

Hi All, I am getting banded on 02/02/07. I absolutely love bread and feel depressed at the thought of not being able to eat it anymore. I could care less about giving up chocolate, fast food etc, but bread?

Not even one slice a day?:)

Susannah

Hi All, I am getting banded on 02/02/07. I absolutely love bread and feel depressed at the thought of not being able to eat it anymore. I could care less about giving up chocolate,fast food etc, but bread?

Not even one slice a day?:)

Susannah

Everyone is different in their ability to handle bread and which types they can tolerate if any. It does seem to me that as I get more restricted bread is getting tougher to eat comfortably. Decision day is fast approaching.

Best of luck on your big day!

Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann, thanks for your input. I will just have to deal with it I guess. The benefits of the banding will outweigh my cravings I guess. Susannah

hello...i was told by my nutrionist that u can have bread...but if u are going to eat it u should toast it so that it crumbles and it isnt hard to get down...

I was surprised at how quickly many former "cravings" left me. I still want an occasional diet coke, but that too is diminishing.

I can eat any bread crust that is toasted, and teeny baby bites of any bread. Look forward to enjoying bread in a different way. I really "taste" everything I consume now.

You have a whole new world to look forward to.

I've been banded since NOv 06. I learned that anything that becomes doughy when eaten hurts or gets stuck. I don't have any problems with toasted breads. Sometimes when band is looser miniscule bits of bread will go down. But you will not care once it gets stuck cause it hurts too much. What I do is order a sandwich and eat the meats n cheese inside. It tastes just fine without the bread cause your body wants the Protein anyway. I have been able to get some pastas down just taking tiny bites. Don't worry it's all worth it . good luck , Kelley

I was a big bread lover also. I rarely eat any bread or breaded foods now. I dont really miss it. The occasions that I want a sandwich or something I just make it with toasted bread. Toast goes down fine, plain soft bread is the devil!!! The difference for me is that NOW a small meal of good foods leaves me totally satisfied and I really truly dont have room for bread anymore.

Pre-band, I worshiped bread. Hot bread was a meal for me, and one I would gladly choose over many other things. I thought a day without bread was a day without sunshine.

I haven't had a piece of bread in over 2 years. I can't eat it without horrendous pain, which is a great behavior modification tool. Maybe I could get dry, crumbly toast down, but that wasn't the bread I loved, so why bother?

Sometimes a waiter will plunk down a basket of frezh yeast rolls in front of me. But much like Pavlov's dogs, I have learned not to touch them.

If I could still eat bread, I would. In huge quantities. And I know this, so I don't complain. Because it was bread that caused a lot of my weight problem. Bread is the enemy.

I was a bread lover too! I could eat bread up until my second fill where I hit my sweet spot. Just like many people have said here, it is not worth it once you reach the proper restriction level.

I can each 3 oz of fish or chicken and a couple of bites of vegetables OR 1 bite of bread. I skip the bread because it is just not worth it for me anymore. I eat so little that I choose the best. I actually enjoy eating the Protein and veggies more than 1 bite of bread so it doesn't feel like a sacrifice.

Luckily, you will have at least 2 months after banding that you can eat small quantities of bread so you do get some time to reduce your portions you won't necessarily have to go cold turkey.

LOL Faybie!!!! "wont have to go cold turkey".

LOL! Yeah, that was my biggest fear before I got banded that I was going to have to say goodbye to all of these foods before I was ready. It was actually kind of nice to have the band but not be filled for a while because it gives you a chance to reduce your portions gradually. Ha. Ha. I guess I was addicted to food as much as a smoker is to cigarettes.

I was a bread and Pasta fiend. I was horrified that I would be giving them up. But after my first PB on white bread, it was pretty easy. Any doughy bread is very bad and I will get stuck every time. I can eat about a half slice of a whole grain bread and I even like it. I still watch out for any pasta....it has to be well cooked and I chew it and chew it and chew it.

After a while, you probably won't even miss it (not too much anyway). Your body will start craving different things.

You will be fine. Hugs.

Hi All, thank you so much for all your feedback here.

Jack you are so funny! I love reading your posts.:biggrin1:

I guess I need to keep my eye on the bigger picture being getting healthier and happier through getting the weight off.

Susannah

Hi Susannah, I loved carbs in bread form myself but, now.....its the last thing I think of when it comes to a meal because after you've been stuck with that lump of gooey dough for half a day without being able to drink or eat...it's just not worth it. I have found that rolls that have that hard, crusty outside I can have occassionally. It's not very often that I even bother with that because I want to get all my Proteins in first. But..honestly I don't miss it like I thought I would. Good luck with your banded journey!

Whilst anything that becomes doughy is a "go slow" food - if I eat it fast I will have pain, but not a PB, I can and do eat bread.< /p>

I try to avoid white carbs - crappy white supermarket bread for example, but I love good wholegrain seedy bread and bread like that is a healthy and valuable food in your diet, if you can eat it and you have your proportions right - not ALL carbs or NO carbs kind of thing.

But I agree, if it turns out to be a food you cant eat, or if it gives you really bad pain to try to eat it, you really do forget about those foods pretty easily. Muffins for instance, man I used to love my Muffin Break muffin and a big latte in the morning. But they hurt to eat now, I dont block with doughy foods, they feel like I've swallowed ground glass. I just look at them now and thing, nah, not worth it. Ditto McDonalds and the like, it just does not taste good enough for me to be bothered wanting to eat it.

A nice crisp salad that you can eat easily and you know is good for you miraculously does become more attractive.