Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months doc diet.....start!

After months of research and finally mustering up the courage to see the doc my insurance tells me I MUST do a 6 month prescribed diet.

Really????? Umm, hey insurance company, if you'd look at my health history for the last 15-20 years you'd see, I'm still fat.

Anywho, today was my first meeting. 6 months should fly by and I look forward to "learning" how to live after surgery. Today the nutrionist talked about cravings. Boy oh boy do I know about these.....

It was refreshing to hear suggestions for ignoring or changing those cravings.

Here's my pre req requirements for those presleevers:

Rmr test

H-pylori test

Psych eval

Nutrional eval (my 6 month of classes should cover it)

Support group meeting

Bariatric nut class

Letter of support from PCP

Steps to success class

I'll start most of those reqs about December, 1/2 way through my 6 month diet.

My stats today. 5'4", 235-240lbs :0(

Good luck everyone.

Lynne

Hey how did you go about finding a doctor ? For your six month diet? Right I have no primary care doc and I'm looking for one.

There's 2 main weight loss surgeons in town and both offer a doctor supervised diet. My PCP would also do it. My insurance wants someone supervising my weight & eating, etc for six months. I've heard insurance will accept weight watchers, jenny Craig, etc.

Hope that helps :0)

There's 2 main weight loss surgeons in town and both offer a doctor supervised diet. My PCP would also do it. My insurance wants someone supervising my weight & eating' date=' etc for six months. I've heard insurance will accept weight watchers, jenny Craig, etc.

Hope that helps :0)[/quote']

Yes that helps first thing in the morning I'm look for a doctor I want to be sure I approved ASAP. Have put it off for 2 months because I'm so fearful of being denied approval for surgery.

Lynn, your program seems to be a lot like mine... An (accidental) happy accident was when I gave up and tried to apply what I was learning in the 6 months prep. Cut down on caffine (slowly), cut out all carbonated drinks, tested the Protein suppliment powders/drinks. I never smoked, but if you do, you have to stop, and followed a protein/veggie diet.

Lost a lot of weight and was really ready for the big surgical changes.

And the medical preps helped me a lot. Discovered I had sleep apnea for an example!

Have fun, it'll go super-fast, as you said.

Yes that helps first thing in the morning I'm look for a doctor I want to be sure I approved ASAP. Have put it off for 2 months because I'm so fearful of being denied approval for surgery.

My surgeon's office also conducts nutrition classes that qualify for the six month diet. If you are going to use Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, check with your insurance company first, some accept them and some don't. I have UHC and they have different criteria for different employers. Mine will accept Jenny or Weight Watchers as long as you can produce the booklet with the weekly stamps or proof that you attended during the required time period. My insurance also requires that the same method of diet is used for the entire six month period.

Good luck. My doctor submitted my claim early to the insurance company due to lap band intolerance and I am waiting to hear if they will approve this request. I should know within the next two weeks.

If not, I am using this time to examine my eating habits and work on making better choices the next time a trigger occurs.

Good points rib.

In an effort to be accountable, I meant to post yesterday my 1st month goals.....

Eat Breakfast every day

No late night snacking

No late night snacking will be sooooo hard!!!!

Hi Lynn, it looks like we are the same height, same weight and hoping for approval around the same time (my six months will be up in December). I have been doing monthly weigh-in's (I actually go in tomorrow). SO far I am done with everything but the monthly weigh in's. Holding my breath and hoping for the best :wacko: .

Fit-It will cool to watch your progress since we are similar.

How much did you have to lose before surgery?

My Dr. told me to maintain my current weight for now. I haven't been told to loose anything yet. How about you? I'm kind of concerned if I have to go on this 2 week liquid diet before surgery. What has your Dr. told you?

I was told I need to be on a liquid for 2 weeks before....gosh, that sounds hard!!!! And I should lose 10% of the total I need to lose. I need to lose 90-100 so 9-10 lbs before surgery. Since I have 6 months that shouldn't be a prob :0)

My goal is 100lbs. Good luck!!

I've got a little over two months left of my 6 months and on top of blood tests, cardiac clearance, sleep study and endoscopy I have to lose 20 lbs I've lost 13/14 lbs so far lol. But I've never been a Breakfast eater so now I just drink a premier shake

I met with the nurse during my weigh in and she said I just need to move to 2 shakes a day and I won't need to do the 2 weeks liquid diet. Whew, that was a relief. I have never been a breakfast eater either. So the shakes work perfectly.