Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is so bad about regular cheese?

I know that we are not supposed to eat nothing but low fat cheese and cottage cheese. But really as little as we all eat now just how bad is eating just regular cheese? I'm afraid to ask my nutritionist.

Some ppl believe the opposite: real cheese is better than the chemical-loaded stuff. :)

I only eat the regular cheese and most of the time it is organic. With the little amount of food that we do eat it should be good for us and not full of chemicals IMHO. :) Even if organic is cost prohibitive the regular cheese would be better for you. :)

I personally was never given any restrictions on types of cheese to eat. I do usually eat the low fat variations just because they are lower in calories but I do eat regular cheese sometimes to. Lately I have been eating a lot of the velveeta brand single cheese slices, they are just really creamy and good in my opinion.

That's what I am getting at. An ounce of real cheese big woop. Some of the low fat cheeses are kind of nasty

I eat full fat and reduced fat cheese. YUM!!

My nutritionist has no problem with it.

And I agree I would rather eat a small amount

of something I like versus eating something

low fat that tastes nasty.

If you don't find a lowfat cheese you like, just watch how much you have. I personally like the lowfat string cheese just fine. I also like the lowfat babybel, the 2% cheddar cheese, and the alpine lace swiss (which is lowfat). I also like the velveta slices, which have a decent amount of Protein and not much fat. I eat the regular version of Parmesan and goat cheese when I have them.

Lynda

Probably the high fat and sodium content of most cheeses is where it gets a bad rap. For example, 1 cup of cheddar cheese has like 33 g of Protein (good) but over 500 calories and 43g of fat (bad). Some cheeses are better than others... Apparently cottage cheese, Parmesan, ricotta, feta, and Gouda are lower in fat and calories than other cheeses.

However, I did see a TV program that showed that consuming dairy products actually decreased your body's absorption of fat. Apparently dairy Calcium will emulsify with fat in your stomach and pass through your intestines without being absorbed. Of course the experiment was with a "normal" stomach, not a sleeve.

And, being from Wisconsin, I will never give up cheese!

Yes , we do eat very little at this stage,but eventually we will be able to take in a cup of food. If during this time we don't learn and choose the healthier choice then we will probably be eating a cup of regular cheese instead of the cottage cheese in the later phase. Those calories will add up quickly.

If I'm doing very low carb I do regular cheese.. if I'm eating more carbs then I cut a bit of calories by selecting a cheese with less fat... full fat cheese is very calorie dense and even with the sleeve you can rack up a lot of calories from cheese if you're not careful.

The only fat-free food that I will consider is dairy because its the one instance where they don't ADD anything to accommodate for the lack of fat. Unlike in salad dressings etc where they add sugar to compensate for the lack of fat, in low fat cheese, all they've done is use skim or low fat milk.

I think if you can stay within your calorie and fat requirements eat reg cheese. The fat does add up on our low cal diets though. I do a bit of both, full- and low fat cheeses.

Agree with the last couple posts. Also, if you have any lactose issues like I do, my NUT recommended ditching yogurt and cottage cheese as they have a lot of lactose, and going with the harder cheeses with less fat and less lactose. Parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, Colby.

I eat both kinds of cheese and have kept calories low. After all, you really can't eat that much (not like before when I would put away 1/4 lb in 15 minutes). I love cheese. Good source of Calcium, too. Remember that hard cheese has lower calories than soft or semisoft cheese if you are worried. Just keep it to an ounce at a time.

Agree with the last couple posts. Also, if you have any lactose issues like I do, my NUT recommended ditching yogurt and cottage cheese as they have a lot of lactose, and going with the harder cheeses with less fat and less lactose. Parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, Colby.

Good to know, thank you. I have had lactose problems pre-surgery.

Lots of animal fat isn't good for your arteries you know