Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert ID or not?

Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?

• Yes
    • No
    • I want to

Same here got mine at Lauren's Hope and its black and silver with crystal beads so it goes with pretty much anything and I wear it all the time, shower with it on, etc. It is $6 to send it back to Lauren's Hope to get it resized so that would be cheaper than buying another one. I keep the decorative Bracelet part on top of my wrist where it shows and I get alot of compliments on it and 99% of the peopel who see it have not seen the MedicID tag that is underneath on the inside of my wrist and I prefer it that way.

For the men-- they have simple leather braided ones and styles that aren't too decorative for you also.

FYI - I bought a purple Bracelet like those that stretches like the Lance Armstrong Livestrong bracelet. Very cheap and practical.

I wear it when I'm bike riding just for a little safety in case something happens to me.

My wording says "Adj. Gastric Band - Abdominal Port - No blind NG"

I stole that wording from this forum - thanks.

This band was cheap and very obvious if I was ever in an accident.

http://stores.ebay.com/medical-alert-bands

Susan

Seebs

Hello everyone:

I am not here to tell anyone whether or not they think that they need a medic alert (or equivalent) type of ID. That is a personal decision.

If you don't feel as if you need one, then I hope that you are not being pressured into getting one or pressuring others into thinking that they don't need one. If you think that you do need one, I hope that you are not being pressured into not getting one or pressuring others into thinking that they need one. Again, your choice is your choice.

However, I think that there is a bit of confusion about this whole NG thing. I am not here to sound snooty or anything, but I hate it when people in the medical field just tell people to do or don't do things without explaining why.

I can say this because yes, I am a doctor...I just happen to treat patients that can't speak and tell me what's wrong. So I spend a *lot* of time explaining medicine/surgery to people.

A nasogastric tube (NG tube) is a tube that medical people insert in order to reach your stomach. It is inserted through your nose, goes down through your esophagus, and enters your stomach.

This is very different than an endotracheal tube (ET tube). An endotracheal tube is a tube that is inserted through the mouth, goes down the trachea (windpipe) and into the lungs. In extreme emergency cases (when something prevents the medical person from being able to place the tube through the mouth..example...there is an obstruction in the oral cavity) an ET tube can also be inserted into the trachea through a cut in the trachea(windpipe) if needed.

I know that most people on here have seen/heard that in the event of an emergency in which they are unconscious and/or can not breathe that someone is bound to "put a tube down their throat". Maybe you will have to be "tubed". However, which tube used depends on what the emergency is, and whether the intent is to reach your stomach or your lungs.

If you are in a car accident and you can't breathe they normally would not be putting in a NG (nasogastric) tube. They put in an endotracheal tube. This ET tube goes into your mouth and into your lungs so that it can help you breath. It does not go into your stomach at all. It would not touch your band.

Please know that I am NOT saying that there won't ever be a situation in which you will have to get a NG tube put in your stomach. I hope that no one ever has to be in a situation in which an emergency NG tube has to be placed...becasue well.. that would mean that a fellow bander is really sick. I hope no one ever gets that ill.

It all comes down to what YOU want to do. I just wanted to let people know that if you are being "tubed" becasue you can't breathe then most likely the doctor will be placing an Endotracheal tube NOT a Nasogastric tube. They put in a endotracheal tube through your mouth and into your LUNGS.

:lol:

PS: To all those wondering, I am a veterinarian. One of my greatest pet peeves (no pun intended) is for people to leave any medical office (whether it be human or animal medicine) not informed, confused, or having unanswered questions. So again, I hope that this post did not come off as me being a know-it-all or snooty.

Edited by Brinabrina77

Brina,

I read somewhere (can't remember if it was a book, my surgeon's office, or here) that there needs to be special consideration when intubating the patient with a lapband. As with any patient, an incorrect placement of the tube into the esophagus can cause air to enter the stomach. Usually it is verified immediately by Xray anyway, or a CO2 detector.

I am considering getting a Bracelet just in case I ever need to have an emergent NG tube placement. I don't want someone puncturing my stomach trying to get it past the band. As far as tube feedings, I would hope they would have gotten an abdominal xray for placement, or my family would have notified them of my lapband before starting them.

BTW, we love our Vet! One of my cocker spaniels has been up all night bugging me...must be a rabbit or deer outside (or a skunk!).

...A nasogastric tube (NG tube) is a tube that medical people insert in order to reach your stomach. It is inserted through your nose, goes down through your esophagus, and enters your stomach.

This is very different than an endotracheal tube (ET tube). An endotracheal tube is a tube that is inserted through the mouth, goes down the trachea (windpipe) and into the lungs. In extreme emergency cases (when something prevents the medical person from being able to place the tube through the mouth..example...there is an obstruction in the oral cavity) an ET tube can also be inserted into the trachea through a cut in the trachea(windpipe) if needed.

If you are in a car accident and you can't breathe they normally would not be putting in a NG (nasogastric) tube. They put in an endotracheal tube. This ET tube goes into your mouth and into your lungs so that it can help you breath. It does not go into your stomach at all. It would not touch your band.

Please know that I am NOT saying that there won't ever be a situation in which you will have to get a NG tube put in your stomach. I hope that no one ever has to be in a situation in which an emergency NG tube has to be placed...becasue well.. that would mean that a fellow bander is really sick. I hope no one ever gets that ill....

Thank you so much for that clarification, Brina. I had never stopped to think about the different type of tubes, and I had this big fear of being in a car wreck, or something similar, and someone trying to stick a tube through my band.

I can't think of an emergency situation (within reason), that a NG tube would be placed. Your post made me feel so much better. :lol:

I have this one: Medical ID Bracelets, stylish bracelets to alert the medics in an emergency, free engraving - Item# ACT20 - Petite Oval Link Medical ID Bracelet 2 lobster clasps (Detachable)

I make jewelry (at least, I did before kids, not exactly a small-child-friendly hobby :rolleyes2:), so I can easily make new bands that have the two lobster clasp ends. I haven't, but I can. LOL!

I have a potentially deadly drug allergy as well. Although the chances of them treating me for a urinary tract infection at a crash site are slim, I feel better having it there. And, it gives me a valid reason to give nosy people who ask why I wear one.

Mine has my first name on the front, on the back it has:

HUSB: 555-555-5555

LAP-BAND 1/29/2008

NO NG TUBE/NSAIDS

NO MACRODANTIN/HCTZ

I like it, I think it looks nice. Not too "medical" looking. But obvious enough that they will find it in an emergency. I'm hoping to give chain maille a try soon so that I can make a nice looking band for it.

I also carry a PDA in my pocket that has an ICE listing with all my medications, allergy specifics, doctors, medical history, etc...

I also have other medical issues, so I decided just to get the medic alert.

I have to admit though, that I currently misplaced my pendant. I need to buy a good chain for mine. I have issues with bracelets-- I only wear things on one wrist, and with a watch or other accessory, that gets crowded. But the chain that came with my pendant gave me a bad rash, the other chain I tried after that broke.

Mine actually just says allergic to most antibiotics. The sad truth is that it took less space to put that than to list out the ones I'm allergic to. And there is a number for an emergency medical worker to call to get full info. I don't think a medical emergency where this info would be needed is at all likely, but I feel that being prepared for it makes it less likely and that if something were to happen, things would go better as a result.

My SIL says a chain around the neck is actually better because medical personel are more apt to check your pulse in your neck and would be more likely to find it there. Mine has my name, dob, my allergies, my band and my emergency contact info. That way I don't have to carry ID when I am out walking, etc.

When choosing to buy an ID Bracelet you should be thinking about your lifestyle. I've never heard of most of the companies mentioned in this thread other than Medic Alert. Why? I'm not American. If you travel outside the US regularly, look for a provider that has more coverage so that if you end up needing help in Europe, there is a fair chance of you actually getting it as the Medic Alert branches world wide do actually work as one giant network.

You shouldn't really have to worry about where you wear your ID as a paramedic should be checking all four limbs. Maybe an anklet inside boots isn't the best idea though... I agree that the super pretty IDs may be overlooked by accident. I saw one that was basically a charm bracelet the other day and it took me a while to figure out it was a medic alert. I probably wouldn't be ordering that one for me. My father has the sterling silver necklace, and it's really attractive as well as subtle. I have the stainless steel dog tags, which are more practical for my line of work.

If you go through a supported company, your ID bracelet should really have only the highlights of what a paramedic/ER needs to know about you for immediate care because the first thing they will do is call the support company for more complete information. I have a long list of problems, but only allergies and major diseases are listed on my ID. When I get my band I won't get a new ID, but I will update my file online. I prefer the supported system to my own USB key because the fire department isn't going to check your keys for a medical USB after they cut you out of the car with the jaws of life, they're just going to throw you in the ambulance and then concentrate on hauling the wreckage from the road (I know this from personal experience). For the same reason I wouldn't trust a wallet card only. I've seen how far those things can fly in an accident.

For those with nosey friends and co-workers... a good slap to the hand is never amiss when they pry into things that they have no business sticking their noses into. Or you could choose to go puppy dog style and whack them with a newspaper to the nose. It could be very therapeutic.

Yeah, it sucks to have to pay for the annual maintenance of your records, I agree whole heartedly there. But since there's a more than fair chance of me being run over by an excavator or getting clocked by flying auger bits at work :sneaky:, I see it as a quality investment for me.