Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm embarrassed...

I was about 285 when I started at the ymca. I felt comfortable there, I never felt judged. I did Water aerobics and eventually some of their "101" classes for beginners before working up to the harder stuff. I did that after quitting another local gym in humiliation at the way the personal trainer treated me.

Hold your head up high and know that in time you will be one of the "hot chicks". Don't worry about what they think - and you know what, I bet most of them ADMIRE you for trying even though you are bigger sized. Hang in there girl, its worth it.

Today i sat in my car, outside the gym in the parking lot, gripping the stiring wheel until my knuckles went white. I am embarrassed about the way I look, and how I think my body will look whilst exercising. I can just feel people staring at me thinking 'what is she doing here, I wish I didn't have to look at that.' I know that this is exactly where I need to be but I feel like such a novice that I sould be doing the work at home. The truth is I need to be shown what to do, I need help. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. This is YEARS of social programing by angry teens, coworkers, and strangers, talking and joking about the way I look. How do you get over it? How do you push yourself through the door, in front of that cruelly accurate and huge mirror wall, and do classes? Just need some encouragment please!

I just joined a boot camp/ cardio interval training type gym. Totally out of my comfort zone. I like the structure of the trainer guiding us through. I put my blinders on and just focus on myself. So far so good. Everyone has been nice and helpful. It's time to get out of your head and Just do it!!!

That's what I keep telling myself everyday. :)

I am the same the way still after over a year out. What helped me before is that I started walking at the park. It was out in the open and I didn't feel that everyone was looking at me because they were in front of me or behind me. Once I built up the endurance to walk faster and it got colder outside I joined a gym and went after 8:00pm when it wasn't as crowded. Now I go during peak time but I still get on the treadmill in the corner and look for a pillar that can hide me when I do my weights and sit-ups. It helps for me, my insecurities are still there I just love to work out and try not to the let it get in my head too much. Push yourself. Sometimes if I get to stressed that people are looking at me I do the cardio at the gym and sit-ups and weights at home. Take on as much as you can and you will start to feel better about it. Good luck

Just push yourself to go a few times and you will get over it. I put off joining a gym for years for the same reasons. I got over it within a few weeks. It helps to do the stuff you find to be fun. I am personally much happier doing Zumba than the treadmill etc. group classes will force you to meet people etc.

Just remember it's all about attitude. There are people there much thinner and much more in shape than we are that have much less self confidence and are way more worried about what you're thinking about them. Just remember you may not be the fastest person there but you're still lapping anybody sitting on the couch! Good luck

Gyms are weird. Nobody talks much. It's like an elevator or a bathroom. Everyone sorta figures the next guy wants privacy. Don't take that to be judgement. Most people dislike their own bodies and are just as self-conscious as you!

I wish you all the best getting through the front door. If you haven't written your goals and reasons for weight loss down, do it and tape it to your visor or steering wheel! For me, attending my daughters wedding in something other than a wheel chair is worth getting out of the car and in the door (she's 2 y/o lol). Motivation is a personal thing. I also keep hockey sticks in the truck since getting back on the ice is a goal of mine.

2big2skate........well said man!

When I was down to my goal weight, a woman came into the gym for the first time weighing about 290lbs. She had on a skirt, t-shirt and tennis shoes. She sat on a recliner exercise bike. She stayed on it for 15 min. She came in regularly for 8 months. Fast forward - One day I went up to her and told her how good she looked and how much weight she had lost. (That was my first time talking to her although we had seen each other many times) She started to cry. She told me she has decided that day was going to be her last time at the gym, because she felt she had made no progress. She dried up her tears and told she will continue to come to the gym. She did and continued to lose weight.

Although I am in a skinny body now, I will alway know how it feels to be fat. Now when I see someone working hard to lose weight, I try to say something encouraging. You never know what might help.

When I was down to my goal weight' date=' a woman came into the gym for the first time weighing about 290lbs. She had on a skirt, t-shirt and tennis shoes. She sat on a recliner exercise bike. She stayed on it for 15 min. She came in regularly for 8 months. Fast forward - One day I went up to her and told her how good she looked and how much weight she had lost. (That was my first time talking to her although we had seen each other many times) She started to cry. She told me she has decided that day was going to be her last time at the gym, because she felt she had made no progress. She dried up her tears and told she will continue to come to the gym. She did and continued to lose weight. Although I am in a skinny body now, I will alway know how it feels to be fat. Now when I see someone working hard to lose weight, I try to say something encouraging. You never know what might help.[/quote']

Wow! I love that you shared this. I am in the process if getting to a healthy weight. I too will follow your lead during my journey. Thank you! I pray that you're blessed in return also.

I am still "fat" in a skinny body. I will always remember what it was like wishing that I was smaller. I use to beat my self up. I did not even want to eat in front of skinny people. Going to the gym was impossible. I did not go until I got down to 190lbs.

A greater joy and inner happiness can be had by helping others. A few words of encouragement can go a long ways. For me being overweight was dangerous and unhealthy. They may feel the same way. You never know what a few words of encouragement can do. You may save a life with just a pat on the back and a smile.