Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm embarrassed...

My advice is as others have said you can't let what others are thinking stop you from bettering yourself, those who think mean thoughts are definitely not worthy of the time it takes to think about them. All that being said I also understand how hard it is to take that advice, I remember thinking the same thing everytime I tried to go to the gym in the pre sleeve days and how I let it sabotage me from doing what I new I needed to. So, when it was time to start at the gym after surgery I actually went to the health styles gym which is a hospital based gym, it was much easier because I new that the majority of the people there were either working on weight loss like me or were there for therapy for some sort of medical problem, therefore I new no one was judging me. Unfortunately, now that I am getting closer to goal and fitter, I find myself thinking I need to change to a different gym so that the new people at the health styles gym don't look at me and think i'm judging them. Anyhow, Good Luck and remember the most important opinion is your own.

I am still pre-op but had some fitness goals I wanted reach prior to surgery. I found a personal trainer and work out with her at home. If I could have found someone to work out with then I would head to a gym. So until I do the personal trainer was the best thing for me.

JCassell...I'm guessing you really don't know those people in the gym right? Are they close friends/family? So why care what they think? Is what they think more important than you and what you think of yourself? Of course not. It's true, it is hard to get started in something that you don't know much about. But it will never be harder than it is at the beginning and will be downhill soon and easier for you. Trust me, stick with it, try not to care what someone else may or may not think, so what's good for YOU and down the road, you'll be glad you did. Then you'll be looking at yourself in the mirror and liking what you see and not want to look away. :) Plus, I'm guessing your toughest critic is probably yourself. I bet most of those people aren't thinking the same thing about you or saying what you think they are saying/thinking. If they are, they are at the gym for the wrong reasons and need to find some focus of their own and exercise, not judge. Hang in there and I wish you the best!

Today i sat in my car, outside the gym in the parking lot, gripping the stiring wheel until my knuckles went white. I am embarrassed about the way I look, and how I think my body will look whilst exercising. I can just feel people staring at me thinking 'what is she doing here, I wish I didn't have to look at that.' I know that this is exactly where I need to be but I feel like such a novice that I sould be doing the work at home. The truth is I need to be shown what to do, I need help. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. This is YEARS of social programing by angry teens, coworkers, and strangers, talking and joking about the way I look. How do you get over it? How do you push yourself through the door, in front of that cruelly accurate and huge mirror wall, and do classes? Just need some encouragment please!

Despite my ups and downs all over the scale, I have been a member of one gym or another since 2005. Never once, NOT ONE TIME, in all of those years has anyone ridiculed me or harassed me or said anything negative to me. What I have heard is encouragement, from random strangers, from staff at the gyms, "you're doing a great job, keep it up''. Honestly, those gym rats, both male and female, with the incredible bodies, don't even pay attention to us because they're too busy looking in the mirror! :lol: Everyone else is just trying to do their thing, get it over with, and go home.

First thing you do is find gym staff to show you how to work the machines until you find the one you like. If you can only do 5 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical, then do that every day. Once you get comfortable with gym equipment, get yourself a heart rate monitor - they are invaluable in your workout.

Thank you all so much for the pep talk. My gym choices are few and far between (I'll have to drive 25 minutes to the next town) but I think I have found the perfect one for me. It says that it is a TRUELY non jugemental gym that has varying rules about harrassment. They have child care, nutrition classes, and a few classes I always thought I was too fat to attempt (Zumba, kick boxing, yoga). I spoke to the manager and she was very helpful (And understanding) and offered me a free day at the gym, and a free session with a trainer before I made my decision. I'm going in today (In thier slower time) to take a tour of everything. I'm excited! I really want to do this right, I don't want to take my sleeve for granted! Thanks to everyone for your support and I will update you soon!

Been there :( in fact not so long ago I posted about going to a yoga class and feeling comfortable for the first time. I agree with most of the above. My gym has personal training classes so it's 3-5 people with 1 personal trainer showing us how to use the machines and what is best for us. Something like that may be good for you to learn the machines but also to meet other people. You have made a very positive change in your life' date=' the gym is another step in that process. Be proud and as hard as it may be try to remember you are at the gym for yourself and to reach your goals :) You can do it![/quote']

Wonderful to hear :) enjoy!

Thank you all so much for the pep talk. My gym choices are few and far between (I'll have to drive 25 minutes to the next town) but I think I have found the perfect one for me. It says that it is a TRUELY non jugemental gym that has varying rules about harrassment. They have child care' date=' nutrition classes, and a few classes I always thought I was too fat to attempt (Zumba, kick boxing, yoga). I spoke to the manager and she was very helpful (And understanding) and offered me a free day at the gym, and a free session with a trainer before I made my decision. I'm going in today (In thier slower time) to take a tour of everything. I'm excited! I really want to do this right, I don't want to take my sleeve for granted! Thanks to everyone for your support and I will update you soon![/quote']

I'm so proud of you for making moves! I also wanted to add that the equipment at all of the gyms I've been to have lil pics of how to use the machines and what the machines are used for. So don't worry, you'll be fine. Also at this point you'll probably just going to be walking on the treadmill or doing those cycle type machines anyway. You can also look at what other people are doing on the machines you're interested in. Good luck!!

Today i sat in my car' date=' outside the gym in the parking lot, gripping the stiring wheel until my knuckles went white. I am embarrassed about the way I look, and how I think my body will look whilst exercising. I can just feel people staring at me thinking 'what is she doing here, I wish I didn't have to look at that.' I know that this is exactly where I need to be but I feel like such a novice that I sould be doing the work at home. The truth is I need to be shown what to do, I need help. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. This is YEARS of social programing by angry teens, coworkers, and strangers, talking and joking about the way I look. How do you get over it? How do you push yourself through the door, in front of that cruelly accurate and huge mirror wall, and do classes? Just need some encouragment please![/quote']

This is what I think... Your going to the gym to be healthier, and stay fit.

Let people think what they want in a year when you are all sexy, either loosing, or maintaining your weight, you can walk in there feeling accomplished.

You go girl! You can do it! Get in that gym and get your sweat on make YOUR life better! Screw everyone else!

Good luck to you I hope this helps a lil :)

Does your gym have a women's only section? Or a cardio cinema or something? When I first start back (every few months for the last 6 years) I always frequent one of those areas first. Another one is a swim fitness class, you tend to be with a little bit of an older population and heavier population. I always feel welcome there. Eventually you will be walking in with your head held high ready to make that gym your b**** it doesn't take long!

Show confident in yourself as soon as u walk in that Gym IM 265pds coming from 325sleeve day and I walk in that Gym like IM at my goal weight I smile at everyone and put my earphone in my ears and turn on my workout music and I own that treadmill for a hour ,and when IM really pump with a song I feel myself doing a little dance on the treadmill ,IM there for a reason to lose weight and get healthy like everyone else in that Gym I belong there u belong there don't let no one stop u from getting fit and healthy

Yeah Fancy!! :)

I go to LA Fitness and I felt the same way.....until I got smart. I go anywhere between 10 and 2...that's when all the seniors are there. They're kind, chatty and encouraging. Lots of them aren't in such good shape themselves. ....so there's no pressure to keep up or to look good. Love it . Made lots of sweet friends.

Today i sat in my car' date=' outside the gym in the parking lot, gripping the stiring wheel until my knuckles went white. I am embarrassed about the way I look, and how I think my body will look whilst exercising. I can just feel people staring at me thinking 'what is she doing here, I wish I didn't have to look at that.' I know that this is exactly where I need to be but I feel like such a novice that I sould be doing the work at home. The truth is I need to be shown what to do, I need help. I know I can't be the only one who feels this way. This is YEARS of social programing by angry teens, coworkers, and strangers, talking and joking about the way I look. How do you get over it? How do you push yourself through the door, in front of that cruelly accurate and huge mirror wall, and do classes? Just need some encouragment please![/quote']

Awe honey. Where do you live? I wish I could give you some encouragement. But don't worry be embarrassed about how you look just think it's someone a little worse than you buy just take the initiative to make that change love. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using VST

Honestly, no one there cares. They have all their own insecurities raging as well. Try a planet fitness so you get a free trainer and use them daily. Then when the weight comes off you will be a work out expert.

Honestly, no one there cares. They have all their own insecurities raging as well. Try a planet fitness so you get a free trainer and use them daily. Then when the weight comes off you will be a work out expert.