Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reno or N. Nevada Bandsters out there???

Gail;

In my own defense of not posting; because I do feel I have a responsibility to "our group", I can share another "excuse"...

My busy season at work is from May through October sooooooo I was pre occupied. But I bet if I was losing weight by the bushels I would have posted and gloated!

I am sorry, I should have posted. My bad...

Your DH; is he still working or did he retire?

I am going on a cruise next week through Thanksgiving weekend so you may think you lost me again but only temporarily. It is going to be the first vacation (real vacation) I have ever taken in my life. True story~ no BS! I never went on honeymoon and as kids we owned a family business and never went on vacation, and for one excuse after another I just have never gone on vacation. I have gone on lost of business trips but never anytime did I get to spend the night in a hotel and "sleep in" because I was on vacation. So this will be something new! I am very very very nervous about gaining weight on the cruise, so I am going to try and concentrate on not getting carried away on the buffets. I would like to be able to "stop" thinking about food 24/7. The thoughts of food consumes alot of my free time. But I am working on this in group counseling. This issue (obsessive food thoughts) is not new. The first thought I think about upon waking is what am I going to eat and the last thought at night is about food too. Nothing really bad but I should not be spending so much time thinking obsessing about food.

I am excited to hear about your "journey" and what is going on with you.....

I think he "rocks" you are in great hands.

Dr. Sasse also owns IMetabolic if you are interested.

If you have a hernia and they repair it during surgery you will have a longer recovery period. ASK GAIL! If I recall ( I did not have a hernia) it seems that the hernia repair is more "sore" than the lapband.

After your surgery you will just experience getting tired more quickly than usual and you will just move slower than normal for a couple weeks.

I went shopping upon leaving the hospital and barely used any pain meds. It is an excellent idea to get the prescription filled before you get surgery. Your port area may be the "sorest" but it too will resolve itself, I remember "cupping" my port with my hand and pressing it flat and it was "good" and helped with the discomfort. And seriously IF I had to get this surgery every Monday morning before going to work in order to lose weight I would happily do it. The surgery is a cake walk (looking back) and I remember thinking how easy it was right after as well, even though I was very frightened.

Anybody who has felt restriction, please help me understand this...

I THINK I am feeling restriction after 6 fills! I pray to god it is not my imagination...

Yesterday I got filled (bad emotional day) and then last night I ate 1/4 # of a hamburger patty and I did not want to eat anymore and furthermore it took me a REALLY long time to eat that.

Today I have eaten so far:

1 egg for breakfast+1 bite of scrambled eggs with coffee

lunch:

1/2 South Beach Protein bar (nibbled on it most of the day)

Keva Juice~diet bulls eye (small with 28 grams of protein)

then

for dinner I am going to attempt to eat a lean cuisine spaghetti with meatballs.

Tonight I am sure I am going to eat a weight watchers ice cream (tradition in my house)

How do you KNOW when you have restriction??? I mean obviously when I slime or "get stuck" I know I have something that is causing restriction but I am talking about the other restriction. Do you guys feel any other restriction? Am I the only one who is waiting for this magical feeling that I THINK I am suppose to experience?

Does anybody elses pouch ever feel "cold" or "wet" (not ice cube cold just not "warm" (isn't that wierd?) Inside my "stomach" does not feel wet but my pouch has a different sensation.

It will be really cool if I finally reached restriction after the emotional fill on Friday~being told it was to it's capacity.

And you know after thinking about this since yesterday. I kept asking Dr. Kozar and the fill Nurse what size band I had in me and Dr. Kozar said he did not "note it" in my records (and of course I was just asking for information purposes) but maybe just maybe I got a bigger band then what they think and therefore that is why Laurie (fill Nurse) thinks I am at capacity and maybe just maybe that is why I have not experienced restriction like other people. So with that in mind I am going to email Nurse Laurie on Monday or Tuesday (because traditionally your suppose to be on liquid for 24-48 hours after a fill, and I don't want to get reprimanded for not following the rules. But I am going to pass this "idea" by her and ask her "if" my theory is a probability. And my Monday/Tuesday I should know for certain IF I am experiencing restriction. I SURE HOPE SO.

Unique:

Do you work at The Humane Society? If you do, we probably know each other, I visit there ALL the time.... and have a business relationship with them as well.

You asked what I ate: Well.... I try to follow a sensible Weight Watchers meal plan, but obviously I am not too good at it. I thought the band would help with that situation. And I am not "bagging" on the band; I just do not experience what everybody else experiences.

So... I eat a South Beach High Protien Breakfast bar for Breakfast, and coffee (which to help curb my appetite I just started drinking coffee with caffeine) I use to ONLY drink decaffeinated.

At lunch I typically eat a single serving of Green Giant carrots and broccolli along with a Lean Cuisine lunch.< /p>

dinner I try and eat a sensible dinner with family etc. and it can range anywhere from a can (or 1/2 can of Chili) to salad to anything that is not fried. I can not eat anything fried, I get stuck everytime; every single time!

Then most nights I eat a weight watchers ice cream.

I CAN eat anything and everything I want (including bread)without issue except fried food or "shredded meat" or tuna. Everything else is free game.

Initially the fill Nurse told me to stop eating salads because of high calorie dressing; but I love salads, so I have in the last couple of months been trying to eat more Protein and less salads; and it has not made a difference on the scale.

I don't have to eat Protein first because I don't experience my pouch getting "full". I stop eating because I should not be eating more than I am; NOT that I feel satiated. So the "protein first" rule of thumb is not a concern to me. However! If I eat the single serving no sugar pudding; my pouch feels "heavy"; so that is an interesting feeling. I can "guzzle" beverages no problem.

I am going to write a seperate post, because this one is getting LONG.

No, I don't work at the Humane Society. I'm just a very good customer. I love those people there. I can't go back to the cages..period..so employees there go back and pick out animals for me so I don't have to. I adopt old, big dogs that no one wants. Right now I have four. I have a little bitty thing too who was swimming, because she was afraid, in Paradise Pond in the wintertime!! Thank goodness I happened to be there. That was several years ago.

That's a blessing in disguise re: the fried foods, huh? It would be for me. I love them way too much. I CANNOT eat any kind of bread! It was one of my weaknesses so it's just as well. I did not feel hardly any restriction until my last fill a few weeks ago which put me at 2.8. (I was banded in May) I would still like another one when I go in next time. Before this last fill, I yo yo'd up and down..up and down with about 5-8 pounds. It was frustrating!!! However, I did not gain a bunch of weight like I would have before the band.

You at least are eating the right foods. I did not all the time when I felt no restriction AND my portions were way too large. I'm feeling good now though about this last fill and will feel even better with this next one.

I will keep our fingers crossed for both of us!

You know how you are "suppose to" drink liquid for the first 24-48 hours after a fill? Well the understanding behind that is to make sure you "ease" back into making sure you don't over do it on a smaller band.

After my fill today I THINK I am possibly experiencing some restriction for the first time I THINK. So in a few days I will know more.

I ate some Soup after my fill today and was surprized that I stopped eating 1/2 through the can of Soup. I did not know if I was emotionally not eating from coming to the realization that the band may not have been my Knight in shining armor or if I just experienced restriction. So then tonight still trying to "test the waters" I may have experienced restriction because I ate 1/4 # grilled meat patty and felt that I did not need to eat anymore. Hmmmmmmmm I just don't know what to think about this.

On the weekends we go out to breakfast and I typically eat 1 egg/a few bites of hash browns and a piece of toast with coffee, and I stop eating because I know that is all what I should be eating NOT that I feel satiated.

So what is your experience?

What is your weight loss rate?

I just started going to a group therapy on eating disorders, NOW THAT is an eye opener; I have learned ALOT about my eating habits, or maybe I already knew about them but never recognized them.

I can tell you that when I get hungry I overeat, so I try to eat before I "get hungry"

I think you might be feelin' some restriction there, girl. How do you feel today? Your portions you spoke of seem to be just about right for proper restriction. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Speaking of liquids, that's another thing I need to do is make sure I drink enough fluids daily...

I think he "rocks" you are in great hands.

Dr. Sasse also owns IMetabolic if you are interested.

If you have a hernia and they repair it during surgery you will have a longer recovery period. ASK GAIL! If I recall ( I did not have a hernia) it seems that the hernia repair is more "sore" than the lapband.

After your surgery you will just experience getting tired more quickly than usual and you will just move slower than normal for a couple weeks.

I went shopping upon leaving the hospital and barely used any pain meds. It is an excellent idea to get the prescription filled before you get surgery. Your port area may be the "sorest" but it too will resolve itself, I remember "cupping" my port with my hand and pressing it flat and it was "good" and helped with the discomfort. And seriously IF I had to get this surgery every Monday morning before going to work in order to lose weight I would happily do it. The surgery is a cake walk (looking back) and I remember thinking how easy it was right after as well, even though I was very frightened.

I'm glad I read this post! I had a hernia that was repaired during my surgery and I felt like such a wimp afterwards because I did not feel good at all; no way could I have gone to a job for days!! It makes sense that one's recovery would be longer and more painful but it's the first I have heard of it!!

Gail;

In my own defense of not posting; because I do feel I have a responsibility to "our group", I can share another "excuse"...

My busy season at work is from May through October sooooooo I was pre occupied. But I bet if I was losing weight by the bushels I would have posted and gloated!

I am sorry, I should have posted. My bad...

Your DH; is he still working or did he retire?

I am going on a cruise next week through Thanksgiving weekend so you may think you lost me again but only temporarily. It is going to be the first vacation (real vacation) I have ever taken in my life. True story~ no BS! I never went on honeymoon and as kids we owned a family business and never went on vacation, and for one excuse after another I just have never gone on vacation. I have gone on lost of business trips but never anytime did I get to spend the night in a hotel and "sleep in" because I was on vacation. So this will be something new! I am very very very nervous about gaining weight on the cruise, so I am going to try and concentrate on not getting carried away on the buffets. I would like to be able to "stop" thinking about food 24/7. The thoughts of food consumes alot of my free time. But I am working on this in group counseling. This issue (obsessive food thoughts) is not new. The first thought I think about upon waking is what am I going to eat and the last thought at night is about food too. Nothing really bad but I should not be spending so much time thinking obsessing about food.

I am excited to hear about your "journey" and what is going on with you.....

Ask me how jealous I am about your vacation.......

Well, the restriction did not keep up, BUT I am eating more solid foods, so that might keep me fuller longer... But I really think I was feeling restriction.... I swear I think I was. Maybe a little too late though. But I am going to use this as my "case to be heard to Laurie the fill nurse".

I am not a "big" "beef" eater and I definately usually don't eat mashed potatoes. BUT listen to this:

I was in costco this weekend "grazing" on the "samples" and ate a bite of Harris Ranch pot roast with a sample of garlic mashed potatoes and I am telling you "sample portion size", and I was "good". NOT full or anything but definately could feel the "had some food in my pouch feeling". Possibly just possibly I should eat foods that have less liquid in them; maybe there is something behind the liquid theory. I guess I have been leaning toward more liquidy foods~steamed vegtables, refried Beans, Soups, Keva juice Protein shakes, green Beans, oatmeal (drink it from a cup). So I am going to experiment a little bit. But I am also going to try and negotiate ONE MORE FILL from Laurie before giving up on me~I am telling you the first 24 hours after that fill was almost as good as ---! I felt like one of those skinny bitches that eat 3-4 bites and push away their plate and say "oh my gosh, I can't eat another bite~I am stuffed"

I was on cloud nine! Thinking my life was going to be incredible, and I had such high hopes.

The eating disorder group therapy is very insightful! I think that helps me on a very different level. I am the only one in the group that has lap band. It is AMAZING how similar (almost mirroring) that me ( a heavy person) can have the same exact eating disorder issues that a skinny person has~what I mean is; same body image issue and same "triggers" for having the food attachment problems. ~very interesting...

Uniqueone wrote: So..Pam, how are ya doing today? You have sounded more up since you got your fill. Let me know how it's going for you. During this time of year, my main thing is I HAVE to stay away from the sweets..which, of course, I love!!!think.gif

I did not want to appear "down" but I have been told before that I come off as "intense" when I write and speak, so am not surprized by your concern~ but sorry if I appeared like that.

I go to a eating disorder weight loss group and our "leader" referred me to a book called "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole. I will start thumbing through it tonight and keep your abreast of what I think.

I might have only lost 18 pounds in 8 months and would have liked to have lost more than double than that and really expected to have lost double that, but I have not gained the 5-10 pounds that I would have traditionally gained in the last 8 months. And...When I look in the mirror I like the progress I see so far. I don't feel that I am "starving myself" like I have in the past on numerous diets previous to lapbanding. I think I would be losing more weight quicker if I excercized daily; but I have not made that a part of my daily routine yet.

I am trying mindfully to watch and observe what and how I am eating. I was a REALLY big eater, cosuming alot of food, thank goodness that I really excercised prior to lapbanding (personal trainer 3x week) because looking back at the amount of food and binging I use to do, IF I had not excercised like that I would have been 500#.

I am going on a cruise to Mexico ~leaving Thursday and will be back the Monday after Thanksgiving. My coworkers were surprized I wanted a fill prior to going. I am concerned of the amount of food I could consume with all the buffets on board the ship.

Sweets are a downfall of mine as well. I can eat a whole pound of See's and then be shocked its all gone!

I am guessing for me it is more than just phsyical eating I think the emotional eating plays a part for me as well, I just need to investigate in other areas.

Pam. Thanks for your candor in discussing your struggle with the weight loss. I am going to be banded on th 17th of December by Dr. Sasse and I find that I learn so much from the site - good and bad! I hope that the eating disorder group can help you. I saw a therapist for over a year and got some insight into why I eat (although I didn't stop!) Posts like yours are a good reminder that this is not easy! I hope it will remind me that I need to work hard and follow the rules. I do find that exercise has been a key to weight loss for me in the past. But I think you have to remind yourself that the weight is still lower than when you were banded and you have stopped that upward spiral. Hang in there:)

So Girlygirlz

Your just getting "started" and your probably thinking "started"? I am finally "getting there".

I absolutely 100% would do this 100% again~and every Monday morning if I had to. The surgery is a "snap" and Dr. Sasse is "the best"; that is NOT to say the other Dr's are any less but I love Dr. Sasse!!!

There always has to be a "sore loser" (OH I mean SLOW loser!!) and that probably put me in that catagory. However I am sure if I excercised and was more active in my weight loss I would lose quicker. However, if we lapbanders "could" have done this on our own; we would have too!

I think the bottom line is that the Dr. put in a BIGGER band than what he thinks and I need more fills to get to a restrictive state. I am calling Nurse Laurie right now to discuss this theory. After my surgery; my Dr. noted that he did not "note" down the size of band implanted; I am the curious type and distinctly remember thinking it was "no big deal" that he "guessed" 2 weeks later and after the fact about which band he put in. NOW... months later when they tell me my band is "full" and I am not feeling restriction, I am rethinking how important that the dr. did not know which band he put in really was.

Keep up on your Water, and walking was the key to my virtually cake walk easy painless surgery recovery for me.

Don't lose sight of my words: I would do it EVERY Monday if I had to; to get these results!!!! My self esteem is up which is a big step in the right direction....

Thanks Pam for all the good advice. I will definitely find out what band size Dr. Sasse is using at my pre-op appointment. I know from the site that it can take a while to hit your "Sweet Spot" so hopefully another fill can get you there. I really haven't made any changes yet other than occasionally practicing chewing. I think I will try a semi-liquid diet after Thanksgiving to get me ready for the 2 week diet that I start on the 3rd of December. Do you still go to support meetings? I went to one (required) at St. Mary's but I here the ones at South Meadows are better. I am looking forward to being on the bandwagon!:whoo:

I spoke with my surgeon today and made sure he understood of my concern about the fill nurse telling me I was at the end of my eligible fills.

One of his questions to me was could I eat a hamburger? I said I "could eat 2!" however, I also said I won't because I KNOW "if" I ate 2 hamburgers it would not get me to the results I wanted and thus I would use up all my weight watcher points in one meal. But it is not that I could not eat 2 hamburgers. He also asked since being banded have I ever been through 1/2 of what I thought I wanted to eat and had to push back from the table because I was "stuffed". I think I laughed at him out loud! Laurie the fill nurse said sometimes it takes a couple weeks after a fill to feel the fill results. That kinda is indifferent to any theory I could ever come up with but whatever~ My surgeon said he will okay 2 more fills of .25 each before we say he is not going to do anymore fills for me. (Thank god) He also said there are some people who never really feel restriction. ~~~~hmmmmmmmmmm (that would suck!)

So Girly:

I think "just knowing" what size band you have inside of you is good information. And I really don't know if the surgeons can tell you what size band they are going to use until they see what they are dealing with inside.

When we lose weight we will also lose weight around the spot of which they put the band (I am assuming) I assume the spot where they put the band is NOT "spared" from having fat around it just like everywhere else on our body. So therefore when we lose weight, at one point or another, that spot will have to shed the fat inbetween the band and the outside of the stomach.

So I can remember having several "last suppers" prior to starting the liquid shakes. The liquid part of these process was the hardest thing for me.

Where/who did you see for your disorder with your food relationship? If you are interested maybe after banding if you feel you could benefit from our group you could join us. It is VERY eye opening! I am the oldest in the group, it seems that the younger generation is more aware of food disorders. But regardless of age and weight our food relationship issues are the same. But!!!! Maybe all you need is a little help from your band.

I look back at all the Feb 2007 and Mar 2007 banders and am SHOCKED at how fantastic they are doing, and how very different they look.

OH!!!!! Buy your shakes early because they are usually back ordered and take a while to ship.

I noticed your profile does not offer any pics or insight on you. Can you fill us in? I know you are 45! Kids? Work? Married? Overweight all your life or just "x" years? Tried any big steps like this before? Inquiring minds want to know....

So Girly:

I think "just knowing" what size band you have inside of you is good information. And I really don't know if the surgeons can tell you what size band they are going to use until they see what they are dealing with inside.

When we lose weight we will also lose weight around the spot of which they put the band (I am assuming) I assume the spot where they put the band is NOT "spared" from having fat around it just like everywhere else on our body. So therefore when we lose weight, at one point or another, that spot will have to shed the fat inbetween the band and the outside of the stomach.

So I can remember having several "last suppers" prior to starting the liquid shakes. The liquid part of these process was the hardest thing for me.

Where/who did you see for your disorder with your food relationship? If you are interested maybe after banding if you feel you could benefit from our group you could join us. It is VERY eye opening! I am the oldest in the group, it seems that the younger generation is more aware of food disorders. But regardless of age and weight our food relationship issues are the same. But!!!! Maybe all you need is a little help from your band.

I look back at all the Feb 2007 and Mar 2007 banders and am SHOCKED at how fantastic they are doing, and how very different they look.

OH!!!!! Buy your shakes early because they are usually back ordered and take a while to ship.

I noticed your profile does not offer any pics or insight on you. Can you fill us in? I know you are 45! Kids? Work? Married? Overweight all your life or just "x" years? Tried any big steps like this before? Inquiring minds want to know....

I got more from lapband.com than the local support groups.