Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started the process

hey!

I just started the process. Id been researching for around three years, called the centers a few times, but chickened out, thinking, "ill try this other thing first"...and those other things did not work.

So i live way north usa, very close to canada in a very remote place. I called a center in Houston, and i took a job here that has me here for three months (the longest i can be away from my business where i live) and i go for my first consultation in two days from now (im very close to houston)

I spoke with my General Health care physician about this a couple of times, once just before leaving to do this. Hes very supportive.

I just want this done. Ive been steadilly gaining wieght for the last three years, and im currently 330 lbs. Im smoke free for the last two years after 23 years of heavy smoking (yay) and i just want to be able to walk four blocks without gasping for air, or sit crosslegged on the floor. I want to be naked with another human being again without it seeming like a scene from a horror movie.

The WLC said to just bring my insurance card and that they would pursue it...and in reading everything ive read, i cant believe its going to be that easy. I also am having some doubt that ill be able to get banded while im here, which would be horribly dissapointing since it took a miracle for me to be here in the first place.

Im still optimistic.

I hope so strongly that this will work for me.

Hi Liz,

Are you saying that during the 3 months is when you hope to complete the entire process?

If so, Good luck!! Hopefully they'll squeeze you in and everything will work out. My DR says we need to f/u for up to a year to make sure everything is cool.

I wish you the best of luck, it sounds like you've gone through alot to get this far. I'm working on getting my pre-req's done, so they can schedule the next step. I live in Northern Michigan not too far from Canada. I hope you can get it done, but you do have to see a doctor after your surgery to fill the band and do adjustments even after the surgery.

Jen

First.. call your insurance and see if they cover it and then try and find out what your requirements are for determination, that way if you need a meeting with a nutritionist or psyc eval you can have that done first.

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME

Thank you very much. Tracy, In reading one of your posts from earlier, i read the diagnostic code, and gave it to husband, who will call them back tomorrow to find out whats up. they had asked for that earlier and we didnt know it, but thanks to your posts, i found out.

I cant tell you how wonderful it is to talk to other people making this decision.

My first meeting is friday (day after tomorrow).

Kelsy, yep, i know. im planning to fly back for an overnight deal when it gets to the fills, but they dont do that very often right?

I had great big giant hopes when i finally got down here. I really did believe the whole thing could be done within three months. After reading what everyone has struggled with, i am now a bit doubtful it will happen. just a bit though, is it unreasonable? Has anyone else's process gone smoothly, and within three months?

I told my PCP about my decision. Then i took it upon myself to call the Hospital and request an application. I filled out the application -first- .. Then i was contacted rather quickly and sent the information in the mail. I set up my first appointment and was told to make sure that i attend the 2 required info sessions held every other Thursday *which i did*. My appointments were a few weeks apart..

There was also a mix up on my first appointment. A girl was an hour late for her appointment and it interfered w/ my own. They had to take her because she was scheduled for a fill the next day. It worked out good for me because they ended up booked like 5 appointments in one day for my next visit... Breathing test, Psych eval, Ultrasound, MD & Nutritionist visit.

I really only attended 2-3 appointments and am scheduled for the lapband on Feb 12th. I started this whole process in like November.. i believe. The holidays and gaps between my appointments is why it seems like it's been soo long!

The surgeon said some people can go a year without ever needing a fill. I guess you'll only know you need one if you stop losing weight or feel hungry all the time.

I would make sure you call the hospital and get things in motion asap .. I didn't wait for my PCP because after 3 phone calls, she was taking too long! LOL. Annnddd.. I called my insurance company and found out the requirements. I had a head start. It paid off greatly.

it went very well. they took my info i downloaded from the site, but also asked me to fill out more paperwork that had to do with my insurance.

i also got my referal to

psych eval

nutritionalist meet

sleep apnea test

bloodwork

when i got back, there was a letter from my dr back home asking for more info (contact info etc). I asked the consultant about the time frame, and she seemed very optimistic! so im on. Its friday, but im going to get it all lined up for monday so that as much can happen will happen within the first few days next week.

woo!

i actually talked to a woman who was in getting her first fill. she was excited and i really enjoyed talking to her.

i also found that since arriving in Houston from Maine, Id lost fifteen lbs. (i cook alot at home here and havent really eaten out very much) woohoo!

wow, how neat to read what it was like initially arriving here and just starting the process out.

an update: i was banded feb 13, and just recieved my second 'adjustment' yesterday. I flew back into houston, (staying in galveston oh galveston).

My surgeon was incredible. I recommend him to anyone. He does my fills himself. Not only were they able to get me in to be banded, but i also was able to heal and get my first fill before i had to fly back to Maine.

Im losing slow but steadilly. I have not regretted the decision to get banded, and only wished i would have done it earlier before id let things get so bad...but thats in the past..TODAY..i can not only walk four blocks without gasping for air, but i can (and do) bikeride 8 miles each morning at sunrise! I can sit cross legged on the floor!! i can be naked and not feel *so* much shame.

Im workin on it all...

i just wanted to put a reflective update, so that if you are new, waiting and reading this, you'll know.

Kudo's to you for following through and getting banded during your 3 month stay. Determination is what it takes to make things happen.

I was banded 3/20 and am going for my first fill today. A little nervous, but I am confident it will be A-Okay.

Please keep us posted.