Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A year out and im frustrated

My eating habits are not the greatest but they aren't the worst either!

I am fast coming to the realisation that my maintenance calorie intake is going to be 1000 per day (less than half the recommended daily intake!), and to lose I need to eat sub-800 per day. Not thrilling, but I suppose I could always up my exercise levels to get more calories in... I only walk the dogs for about 40 mins daily.

When I realised this and my dr and dietician confirmed my thinking, I felt like some sort of medical freak. But neither the dr or the dietician even blinked... and on reading these forums I notice many many others are having the same realisation. In the research section there's papers stating that once-obese people need to eat around 20% less calories than never-obese people to get the same weight loss, even when starting at the same weight. No wonder so many of us struggled to lose weight before.

If you don't exercise you don't have any lee-way with that calorie intake, and if you don't record what you're eating you can easily exceed a low calorie target. If you have a smart phone MyFitnessPal is a terrific little app - worth the money IMO. And walking is a great exercise, as is dancing, running, cycling and Zumba.

Some swear by the 5:2 diet, which you can easily google to get heaps of info. As others have said - no point crying about the lost window of opportunity. That just made it easy, losing weight is still possible.

Good luck with it all.

I am fast coming to the realisation that my maintenance calorie intake is going to be 1000 per day (less than half the recommended daily intake!), and to lose I need to eat sub-800 per day. Not thrilling, but I suppose I could always up my exercise levels to get more calories in... I only walk the dogs for about 40 mins daily.

When I realised this and my dr and dietician confirmed my thinking, I felt like some sort of medical freak. But neither the dr or the dietician even blinked... and on reading these forums I notice many many others are having the same realisation. In the research section there's papers stating that once-obese people need to eat around 20% less calories than never-obese people to get the same weight loss, even when starting at the same weight. No wonder so many of us struggled to lose weight before.

If you don't exercise you don't have any lee-way with that calorie intake, and if you don't record what you're eating you can easily exceed a low calorie target. If you have a smart phone MyFitnessPal is a terrific little app - worth the money IMO. And walking is a great exercise, as is dancing, running, cycling and Zumba.

Some swear by the 5:2 diet, which you can easily google to get heaps of info. As others have said - no point crying about the lost window of opportunity. That just made it easy, losing weight is still possible.

Good luck with it all.

Exactly on all points!

I to was sleeved same day as you 7-11-12. I have lost 53 pounds and I still have a ways to go. I have been at a stall for 3 months. I ride a spin bike 6x a week for 30 t0 45 min. I am going to change my exercise to T25 with shawn t. I hope this will get things moving again.

It's normal to have stalls. Your body has to get used to it's new weight for awhile before it decides to give up any more pounds.

Stalls suck. Congrats on the 53 though, thats great! My guess its not your exercise, sounds like you are doing great with that... do you still keep track of everything you eat, drink your Water and such? You are a year out? Some of us over a year out are trying the 5:2 plan, and finding some success getting rid of the last few pounds. Look it up and see what you think... there is a show on PBS called "Eat, Fast, Live" (I think...) look it up, it is the basic beginning of the plan.

I'm afraid I'm not exercising :-( I've just got this mindset that its too late' date=' I've passed my window of weight loss and there's no more losing. I know it's irrational but I do want to start exercising[/quote']

You've have not passed your window of opportunity to lose weight. Start slow and do a little and build up to a bit more exercise, so you start to fill better. You may also want to speak to a therapist to workout some issues. It sounds like you may be suffering from depression as well. Good luck to you and may you start to lose weight again.

Hey everyone! I started using spark people to track my food and I started exercising and already I've dropped 3lbs. I hope they don't come back. Despite this loss I still think I can work on my Water intake and Protein intake.

Thanks for all the advice I'm glad I've got this forum.

I've just been going through a lot; new job, new relationship, starting my Masters, so I've put myself on the back burner and gotten comfortable. Now I've restarted :-)

Thanks all!