Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi susannah

I totally agree about the woman crossing the line by going to the press with her amazng story that was only half a story. the story was in thats life or take 5 first ( not the most reliable mags, mainly self reported stories for a possible cash payment/proze) may be she was after some quick cash and possibley seeing if she could get picked up to write a diet book like the clothes line girl did. THen the other shows pick up the interest and the half truth and woops! i agree that to tell not tell is a personal choice- you cannot got to the press with half truth though, she will never be taken serioulsy now no matter what she achieves- I bet her surgeon/dietician love her too!

the ms s still a problem. I have had a few days of IV methyl pred now I am on reducing prednisolone orally from 50mg for 5 days then 37.5mg 5days etc over the next 3 weeks or so. I ma still having vsion/depth perception problems ( hence a lot more typos at the present, my coordination is a bt off too) but my vertigo has improved. the steroids have bounced my blood sugars right up and I ma storng Fluid, not losing weight and feel more hungry at present. also have some more stomach irritiation from the steoids too but I know it is all temporary stuff. At least the real hot weather is done with now and that is a godsend. am a bit worred though as that is 3 attacks in 12 months and each one has been more severe. this one is the toughest one since my official diagnosis.

Bronnie

Sorry about the tactless comment form the patient! No doubt she was not a slim person either. i often found the larger patients fell into the 2 extremes the ones who would not ask for help because they were scared they would hurt you OR the ones that would lie there like a lump and expect you to do all the work. I love the fact that no lift policies are becoming more common. I would never expect someone else to shift my bg butt without a lfter, i do not want to be responsble for harmng someone

I still get sensitive about this stuff at the moment. I went to get some new bras, and went to be fitted for the 1st time n years. Now I knew that I had lost a lot but still had a lot to lose. I found myself having to say this to the assistant. she only saw me that one day, still huge and that thought hurt me for some reason. but evn when I said Ihad lost 70 or so pounds I then suddenly thought - she must think I am really huge, what alump! the head stuff can really kick in with strangers! At least your work mates saw the changes, they are thngs that really count

she smiles

I completely understnad your current postion re the tell not tell saga. I think we only get to make that choice once so we nned to feel really safe and comfortable in what we are doing and how well it is going. In the early times and this can be months down the track, i think a lot of us will stll have some internal doubts about what makes this more permanent than other attempts. For me, i feel different about things this time, i feel more confident that the time is right for a permanent change, so I do not care if someone doe not agree with my choice. I was open about the band when I had it done, mainly because I did anticipate anything but support. It never occured to me that I would be accused of taking the easy route. As I had a lot of problems in the early years, i would have been devastated had I had such awful judgmental comments.

I went through negative stuff when people found out I had ms and it was awful (workplace stuff from a supervisor) that has taught me retrospectively just how carefule one needs to be with this kind of infomration. once the information is out it is out so we need to be safe and sure about how we feel about the issue to be able to deal wth the misguided comments from the ignorant.

hope everyone is having a happy easter

Hi Karen, Methyl Predisolone is horrible. It gives me chronic insomnia, nervousness, depression etc. I have not had it since last year when they gave it to me in the IV. I am lucky in that my MS is really stable at the moment. You would not even know I have this condition to look at me. I realize it will relapse again at some stage but I am enjoying being in remission.:)

You are so right about Diet plate girl! I even have a mind to email A Current Affair and set them straight about this bogus story, but hey I am not the Grinch, she will get caught out.

In my thirties I really could care less what other people think of me. I would have in my twenties, but I see so much disfunction and unhappiness out there in so called normal and perfect looking peoples lives, that I know they are in no position to judge me. They don't pay my bills or do anything for me so they can go jump basically if they wish to judge.:lol:

Today is sushi day.:biggrin1: I always eat sushi once a week on Saturdays. I really look forward to it. I was telling my sister that my idea of a treat now is sushi or saladas with vegemite on them. No cake, no ice cream etc.

Susannah

Hi all.....

it was actually a very thin older lady that made that comment.

Hey.... guess i gotta expect that as ive got a long way to go.

I had a bad night last night............. my husband was going to the 'fish @ Chip' shop and asked what i wanted........mmmmmmmmmmmm.... I said if you want to know what i want its...... a hamburger with the lot and 2 fried dim sims. Now...... if you want to know what i CAN HAVE.... 1 piece of grilled flake. So............... there i was eating so slowly it was getting cold. I got through 1/2 of it and felt really full, then just thought 1 chip want hurt. so, i cut my 1 chip in 4 little pieces and ate slowly.... then with Water in my eyes i bolted to the loo and watched those 4 bits of a chip come back to greet me. My lesson was.... stop when im full and dont eat something i dont need ie the chip. What a painful lesson i had....

Well... im now totally off both chicken and fish.... Cant wait to get onto the red meat!!!!!

Hi all!

Bronnie you sound like you are having a bit of a rough trot with food! I think my last fill has kicked in properly now. Every time I eat, each mouthful kind of gurlgles in my throat (i've asked my partner and he can't hear it and he says he can't). Yesterday I had my first PB. It wasn't as bad as I expected. Not all that painful for me, I just sort of felt that the food wasn't going through, went to the bathroom, opened my mouth and out it came. And yep, it was with chicken. Not all that much of a surprise about that!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend (if they get one)!

sorry you are having a tough time bronnie- you will work this out, it will get better. its jsut not pleasant at the time.

Happy Easter everyone! I hope if the easter bunny came, he hasn't been TOO kind this year hehehe. Hope you enjoy however you are celebrating your day!!

Hi Meredith, I saw a huge, giant sized easter egg in Myer's department store. It cost over two hundred dollars! I would like to see somebody eat their way through that one!:biggrin1:

I have a cold.:) Woke up this morning feeling unwell. Well I am down 14 kgs now since I was banded.:biggrin1: Happy with that. I am really tight at the moment, due to it being that time of the month. It is so bizarre really how it can tighten up like that. Last night the saliva was pooling in my mouth which was not pleasant at all. First time ever.:) Somebody explained it that the band tightens due to the tissue in the body swelling when you have your period. TMI, but we are mostly all girls so I am sure we can take it.;)

Here is a group hug for everybody!:) :biggrin1:

Susannah

Susannah - I gurarantee you pre banding I would have no problem at all eating that giant easter egg. i would eat chocolate til I felt sick and keep eating it. I am most definately a chocoholic, almost got thru easter but failed last night, 170gm red tulip small eggs but could have been much worse I tell myself. Happy easter to you all and congrats on your great loss, was wonderful meeting you last week, have to do it again soon. When;s your next avenue appt? Sis and I have one friday 20th

Hi Tara, My next appointment for a fill is on Tuesday the 17th of april @ The Avenue @ noon. Would love to catch up with anybody if they happen to be there on that day.

How is Bobbie going? It must be a great support network for you both being banded. Has Amy heard anymore news re the waiting list?

I am sick today. I have been sneezing my head off for hours. I still exercised though. Susannah

Ahh Susannah sounds like you have the sickness I have had for the past few days! Is making the rounds everywhere!

I haven't noticed any difference in my band tightness at that time of the month, but then my band is different from day to day normally so I don't think I could tell if there was a difference! As long as you don't PB, you'll be ok. I've been super careful chewing and eating slowly since my first PB the other day. I don't want a repeat of it anytime soon.

I saw my Mum today and she is very nervous about her lap band surgery on Tuesday. I told her that it will all be worth it in the end and to just focus on that when she is thinking "what on earth have I done to myself". She's lost 4 kilos on Optifast (she started last monday) so she's got a great head start!

Hi All, Meredith I have not been able to sleep.< img src="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am so sick. Oh well. Yay about your mum!:clap2: I have decided to stay on Soups etc at the moment while my band is tight. That way I am not putting any pressure on my band.

Hey Mezza, Big Brother starts again April 22nd! I reckon I am going to watch it as a guilty pleasure.:( I hope they have a more Interesting, diverse group of people than they had last year.Wishful thinking!

Susannah

I've been sleeping crappily (I think I just made that word up haha) too. Its hard to breathe! I've been taking cold and flu tablets but they aren't doing all that much. A visit to the Dr might be in order for both of us this week it looks! Hope you feel better soon!!!

I think BB this year is going to be a bit boring. Because of all the ho-ha last year with the turkey-slap thing they will be super cautious about anything. I just want to be entertained!!