Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obama...first african american...would you vote for him?????

Obama is obviously an intelligent and articulate candidate but he is a comparatively blank slate (to me at least) at this point. I simply don't know enough about his track record on enough issues to say whether I would vote for him or not. I emphasize track record because even I could sound good in a series of 20 second sound bites or prepared speeches. I don't know what he has actually consistently done regarding policy and votes.

I do have to confess a prejudice regarding Mr. Obama, anyone with the middle name of Hussein does have an extra hurdle to jump to get my trust with the presidency. I am certainly willing to give him every opportunity to show me he's the best man for the job, I'm even willing to give him every reasonable benefit of doubt, but I have to be honest about it. I need to see a history and I need reassurance of motives. I seriously doubt that I am alone in that, just politically incorrect enough to actually state it.

I freely admit he may be the best thing since sliced bread but I need something more substantial than I have now to be comfortable with him.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude for now.

Have you "Googled" his name?

Have you listened when he was on TV shows were he is asked questions? He sure can put together a paragraph better that that guy in the White House right now.

Have you tried Wikipedia?

I would vote for him...He has more integrity than any other politician that I know at this point. Of course, I am from Illinois and he is our hero.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!! :P

By the way, Obama isn't black. He is biracial and was raised by his white mother and his white grandparents. His father is from Kenya and was living in Kenya during most of Obama's life.

Yep Yep your right he's just like me...see that's where I was getting to with this post.

Sorry, I don't know who wondered about this, but yes...the two answer are almost the same regarding Hillary and Obama...

I was making a point...

I won't vote for someone just BECAUSE she is a woman, or because he or she is black...

I choose to vote for the candidate that represents my views, regardless of color or gender.

This seems simple enough to me.

I am a conservative...thus, these two particular examples would not fit the bill for me.

IT WAS ME I WAS WONDERING ABOUT IT....thanks for clearing that one up!!!!!!!!

[quote name='ouachita;366801

I do have to confess a prejudice regarding Mr. Obama' date=' anyone with the middle name of Hussein does have an extra hurdle to jump to get my trust with the presidency.

So, your prejudice about him b/c his middle name is Hussein. What does that have to do w/anything?:phanvan

Yep Yep your right he's just like me...see that's where I was getting to with this post.

Are you saying you started this thread to point out that he's biracial?

I think his age and experience level will keep him out of the White House for at least another term. He seems intelligent, and level headed but young. ~Mandy

Clinton was young, Kennedy was young, some of our best presidents just happen to have been young guys. I think age shouldn't matter, nor should race, nor should middle names!

I think it's more him being politically young. He needs more experience in my opinion. ~Mandy

Sometimes you need to be politically younger so you are still passionate about making a difference in the lives of Americans. If you have been in the senate for 10 years; sometimes you start feeling like business as usual and start looking out for your own self interests instead of America's....might end up like our current president.

He is fantastic, but my concern is that Americans are far too backwards/racist to put a Black or female president into office, especially in the red states. Racism is alive and well in the US, and it's the elephant in the room. I would absolutely love to have him as president, but I am worried that if he or Hillary go up against a moderate Republican like McCain, the Dems won't have a chance of winning because of sexism and racism being so prevelant in the United States. And before anyone starts arguing with me, take a trip to the south where they honor the first Grand Wizard of the KKK with statues of him and and state parks dedicated to him all over the damn place. And that's just one small example of the rampant racism I'm talking about.

That being said, I hope he runs anyway because it would be really great times ahead if he was our president. I just love him.

He is fantastic, but my concern is that Americans are far too backwards/racist to put a Black or female president into office, especially in the red states. Racism is alive and well in the US, and it's the elephant in the room. I would absolutely love to have him as president, but I am worried that if he or Hillary go up against a moderate Republican like McCain, the Dems won't have a chance of winning because of sexism and racism being so prevelant in the United States. And before anyone starts arguing with me, take a trip to the south where they honor the first Grand Wizard of the KKK with statues of him and and state parks dedicated to him all over the damn place. And that's just one small example of the rampant racism I'm talking about.

That being said, I hope he runs anyway because it would be really great times ahead if he was our president. I just love him.

I live in the city in Florida that gave John Kerry the highest percentage of votes in the state in the 2004 election. Our city council is all Democrat as is our mayor, but I see many Confederate Flags on Flag poles outside of houses, on trucks and on tee-shirts. Some people wear tee-shirts with the Confederate flag and a message, "If this Flag Offends you, You Can Kiss my ass". I have seen similar bumper stickers.

I have seen bumper stickers which say, "If you are a Liberal, get the Hell out of Florida" next to a little Confederate Flag. The worst was, "If you are a Liberal, go Back to NY where they like Monkeys" next to a little Confederate Flag.

A "moderate" tee-shirt which I saw had a Confederate Flag on the front and back and words below the flag on the back saying, "If you don't like this Flag, You don't know your History".

No! The American Public is not ready for ANY BLACK PERSON to run for President.

The only Black person that could win would be Condoleezza Rice and only if she was running against Hillary.

Yeah; I don't think it will happen in my lifetime but I still think that Obama should run and he would definitely have my vote and when America begins to care more about one's character instead of the color of one's skin he just might win.