Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I kinda wish bad foods made me sick..

I seem to have the sleeve of steel! I'm 7 weeks out and have tolerated everything, I have never vomited, and haven't been nauseous since 1 week post op.

I've been released to all foods, but I'm told its better to stay away from bread/rice/pasta until I'm closer to goal. Well, I had a few bites of leftover baked ziti for lunch, maybe 1/4 cup. It sat fine! No bloating, no fullness, nothing! I almost wish that it made me vomit. I hate knowing that I'm relying purely on self control! I know I should thank my lucky stars that I'm having such an easy time with food and Fluid, but I don't always feel so lucky!

I guess this is more of a vent? Thanks for listening/reading!

This was the first time I've tried carbs. And I hope to not have them For a while longer. It's just scary know I COULD eat them -_-

Okay I will start with a disclaimer, dont listen to me I am still a fat ass I have only been sleeved for 4 days and I dont really know anything. Having said that I got into this debate the other day on another post. I seriously doubt that eating 1/4 c of ziti will make you fat. I seem to be in the minority, but I dont think that eating food even devil food like Pasta is the problem, I think that most overweight people have a problem with Portion Control and activity level. Have you ever in your unsleeved life eaten 1/4 c of ziti? If not (I know I havent) I think that was more than likely the problem. I think its really important not to super deprive yourself of everything you enjoy eating because thats when people go all out and eat everything they can get their hands on. If you think its really bad, do some extra exercise.

Okay I will start with a disclaimer' date=' dont listen to me I am still a fat ass I have only been sleeved for 4 days and I dont really know anything. Having said that I got into this debate the other day on another post. I seriously doubt that eating 1/4 c of ziti will make you fat. I seem to be in the minority, but I dont think that eating food even devil food like Pasta is the problem, I think that most overweight people have a problem with Portion Control and activity level. Have you ever in your unsleeved life eaten 1/4 c of ziti? If not (I know I havent) I think that was more than likely the problem. I think its really important not to super deprive yourself of everything you enjoy eating because thats when people go all out and eat everything they can get their hands on. If you think its really bad, do some extra exercise.[/quote']

Your right, pre sleeve I probably would have eaten a whole plate, plus bread and washed it down with a big diet soda! I know it sounds silly.

It more just makes me nervous that I'm able to eat those things! So many people say Pasta or whatever makes them violently ill or bloated, but not me!

I hear you and it sounds as though your concern may be that you are on the slippery slope to bad eating habits again and wish your body would just reject the "bad" stuff.

..... I think its really important not to super deprive yourself of everything you enjoy eating because thats when people go all out and eat everything they can get their hands on. If you think its really bad' date=' do some extra exercise.[/quote']

Keep in mind, this advice doesn't work for everybody. It may work for you, but it would mean failure to me. I know....I've tried it. There are "moderators" and there are "abstainers". We each have to figure out which we are, then use that to help us reach our goal. But to say if one abstains will lead to certain binging....that's not true for us all. Quite the opposite. My binges have all been the result of allowing myself a small treat here and there....gradually wanting more each time, and more frequently.

I also haven't gotten sick from anything and my sleeve tolerates everything that I've put into it. I only vomited once because I ate 2 ribs instead of one rib. I was so hungry when my food came that for about 3 minutes I forgot that I had been sleeved. I scarfed down those two ribs and boy did I pay for it! I had to vomit from the discomfort. But, other than that, I have had no problems. I'm almost one month out and I can almost east 4 oz per meal...wtf?? I thought it would take longer to get to this point. I also had cheetos one day. I was able to eat like 5 of them without a problem! I had to walk away because I could've kept going. I have to remind myself that this sleeve is a tool and not a solution. If we are going to be successful, we have to know that we still have to practice self control. I agree that we can't deprive ourselves of everything we like. We just need to make sure we don't overindulge.

It more just makes me nervous that I'm able to eat those things! So many people say Pasta or whatever makes them violently ill or bloated' date=' but not me![/quote']

Same with my sleeve Jessica....nothing bothers it. And I can eat a large amount of food. But it didn't slow down my weight loss. So the point is not to let it bother you. Weigh and measure your food. Make good choices. Cut out any "trigger foods" and you'll be okay.

Just because you can eat something, doesn't mean you have to.

Yes Jessica,

I kinda wished they made me sick too. I often joke here that I was ripped off because I didn't get the automatic shut of valve with the eject button. But there is a seriousness behind that joke. I know that for the rest of my life I have to be extra careful and exercise self control.

Moderation works for some (I think) but I am a binger and certain feelings and foods tigger it still.

So I'm with butter on this one. Staying away from certain foods is best for me...

It more just makes me nervous that I'm able to eat those things! So many people say Pasta or whatever makes them violently ill or bloated' date=' but not me![/quote']

I'm 9 months out and 70ish lbs down. I eat everything. I try sticking to Protein first but not always in that order. don't get all worked up on carbs being the devil. I eat clean about 80 % of the time the other 20 it's normally something really bad like cake or ice cream mind you I can only eat a couple bites or a small piece so I don't beat myself up about it. Just because you had a big portion of your stomach removed doesn't mean you will automatically not like or be able to handle "bad foods" it's still up to you. Make good food choices more often than not and you'll be ok

This is my biggest worry too! It is the one thing I really wish I knew pre-op, or i wish I didn't know until i was down 100#. I read a lot about the sleeve before making my decision. I mean I knew I would have to put in a lot of work and that surgery was just a tool and you could eat around the sleeve too but ... I really expected to only be able to eat little bits of any food! I did not understand sliders and all! It does make sense that processes foods would go down easier, but I never thought about it that way. And it's hard to stay on track when eating Protein can be so freaking hard at first! meat is grossing me out!

Thanks all! I just logged everything on MFP and didn't do so bad. Still at 700 calories for the day. A little high on carbs, about 50g, but I'll go for a walk later.

I felt the same way after being lapbanded (2009). Hardly anyone can eat bread. I did fine with bread. I did fine with everything. The band totally did its job with Portion Control tho. I could only eat 1 pc of bread. I could only eat maybe 1/2 cup Pasta or rice. I could eat very little of everything.

I agree with the first cooment to ur post. I really don't think its the flods u eat (unless junk is the ONLY thing u eat) but how much u actually eat. I lost 104 lbs with my band eating everything I wanted. That's the purpose of restricitve only surgeries, to control ur portions. Now u really need to watch ur slider food portions (my biggest slider was popcorn, at least with my band. Ice cream was never a slider for me) cuz those slide right thru.

As long as u listen to ur body, ull do fine. Im only in the soft food stage (5 wks out) with my sleeve revisiion and not aloowed bread, rice, or Pasta for another 3 weeks. I plan on enjoying those things (hopefully my sleeve will tolerate them) as soon as Im cleared

Good luck

Okay I will start with a disclaimer, dont listen to me I am still a fat ass I have only been sleeved for 4 days and I dont really know anything. Having said that I got into this debate the other day on another post. I seriously doubt that eating 1/4 c of ziti will make you fat. I seem to be in the minority, but I dont think that eating food even devil food like Pasta is the problem, I think that most overweight people have a problem with Portion Control and activity level. Have you ever in your unsleeved life eaten 1/4 c of ziti? If not (I know I havent) I think that was more than likely the problem. I think its really important not to super deprive yourself of everything you enjoy eating because thats when people go all out and eat everything they can get their hands on. If you think its really bad, do some extra exercise.

Thank you for bringin this up! Everyone seems to be low carb cray cray on these boards. I know you need to watch your carb intake and all but I 100% agree with you. A 1/4 cup of ziti IS moderation. It's not like you're eating ziti everyday and even if you did at a 1/4 of a cup, you're definatly not taking in more calories than you're putting out. I am personally getting this proceedure as a tool to keep me from binging. Trust me, if I could eat just 1/4 of a cup of baked ziti I woudnt need the sleeve to begin with.