Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tons of questions now...

So today I started my pre op diet and I have really been reading the book they gave me. In the book it talked about Constipation during diet and after surgery. Has anyone had that happen? And did anyone have to take anything for it?

Also did u guys start walking when you started your diet or after surgery? Anyone have a gym membership? When did you start going to the gym??

Been on this preop diet for about 11 days now. Really haven't experienced any Constipation. Everything's 'flowing' pretty well. I'm kinda wondering where its all coming from since I'm not consuming any food.

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:9803]

I have about 3-4 Protein Shakes a day and in-between I'll have broth and SF Popsicles. Jello does sound pretty good. I'll have to make some!

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:9803]

I took a stool softener 6 days post op. Good results the next day. Yeah. Have taken 3-4 since (almost 5 weeks post op) with good results. You're not getting any Fiber with the liquid diet so you have to stay on top of it. You don't want the misery of Constipation on top of recovery.

I started walking on the treadmill at the gym 2 weeks post op. Still have 1 more week before I'm cleared for weights or abdominal exercises. Most drs want you to wait 4-6 weeks for that.

Good luck!

Most likely Constipation after surgery WILL be an issue. There are war stories about that all over this site! Don't let it happen to you. I will say for me, it was far and away the biggest challenge post op. Things to keep in mind. Just because you are on a liquid diet does not mean you don't poop. You are taking in large amounts of Protein and almost zero Fiber. Watch yourself after surgery and if it doesn't happen, make it happen. Milk of Magnesia, Miralax in your shakes or whatever, you may need to use it for awhile. I still have throw some in my shakes in the morning and I'm over 5 months out.

Good luck!

Today is day one of my pre op. I have ten days, nine are 3 Protein Shakes a day and two small meals and one day of clear liquids. Hopefully I don't have any issues, time will tell.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones then....the only time I hadn't gone was right after surgery. I didn't go for 3 days but wasn't consuming much of anything & I didn't feel "heavy" or anything. Never felt like I had to go....then the 4th day I did. All has been fine since. Good luck to you!

Yes Constipation was a problem for me. I took a stool softener. It still can be a problem and I am 7 months out. I started taking fiber gummies and I love them! I didn't join a gym until I lost my first 20 pounds. I just didn't feel comfortable yet. As far as walking goes, do as much as you can as soon as possible. Movement will help in many, many areas.

So today I started my pre op diet and I have really been reading the book they gave me. In the book it talked about Constipation during diet and after surgery. Has anyone had that happen? And did anyone have to take anything for it?

Also did u guys start walking when you started your diet or after surgery? Anyone have a gym membership? When did you start going to the gym??

I have been taking chewable Fiber.. it helps keep things regular and I didn't want the chance of it happening.. been there done that after surgery before and its no fun (hysterectomy in 2011). I am on day 5 of my pre-op diet.. I am allowed 1000-1200 calories a day, I have to have 80-100 grams of protien. And I have to get it all from a variety of broths, Water (crystal light etc. is allowed,) SF Jello, SF popcicles, different Soups (pretty much anything that is cream based.. except I am allowed chicken noodle with the mini noodles.) I love this diet.. I have lost close to 7 pounds already.. and everyday that goes by is a day closer to my surgery... SOOO excited. As for the walking I have been walking about 1.5 miles a day since I started the diet.. I figured it would be better to start now rather than wait..

When is your surgery scheduled?

When is your surgery scheduled?

Mine is the 27th just like yours.. I go Monday to have my last appointment with the surgeon and make sure everything was good with my EDG..

Awesome what time is yours? I have to be at the hospital @6am

I won't find out until Monday.. after my appointment with the surgeon I have my anesthia appointment then I will be all set.. I am SOO freaking excited.