Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second Stage Surgery of Duodenal Switch Necessary for Some Sleevers

Good post. I too had the sleeve in February 2011 and I'm now researching the DS. Would love to hear if there are others in our position.

My mother had the DS as 1 surgery and her results are phenomenal. I was sleeved 11-12 and had complications that had me in the hospital until December 29, 2012. I've been "stalled" at 220ish (a 55lb loss) for 2-3 months. I still do everything by the book as far as diet goes, and because of my fibro I can only exercise so much. I also feel my sleeve can hold way more than it should. My mother's sleeve stomach allows her to eat about one third of what I eat before even feeling satisfied. I'm giving serious thought to having the switch but I'm terrified of more complications :/

It would be really great to see a forum for those who are having the Duodenal Switch, the second stage of a combined surgery, of which Gastric Sleeve is the First Stage. This is a completion, not a revision. For many, who do not find the Sleeve a permanent fix, there is very little talk of the "NEXT step" which is DS. Sleevers go away, gain their weight back, never knowing they were a victim, not of their own weakness, but a popular marketing tool, that the the Sleeve alone was enough!

I read your paragraph as saying all sleevers who gained their weight back gained it because they only had the sleeve and only the sleeve combined with DS. Is that what you're trying to say?

It would be really great to see a forum for those who are having the Duodenal Switch' date=' the second stage of a combined surgery, of which Gastric Sleeve is the First Stage. This is a completion, not a revision. For many, who do not find the Sleeve a permanent fix, there is very little talk of the "NEXT step" which is DS. Sleevers go away, gain their weight back, never knowing they were a victim, not of their own weakness, but a popular marketing tool, that the the Sleeve alone was enough![/quote']

So may I ask, are you having the second part of this surgery done??

Please share the nature of your complications....{:>}rdc

Faulty staple= leak. Was in the hospital for a month. Became a MRSA carrier/colonizer while in there, permanent lung damage from the abscess, was on 1mg morphine every 6 minutes for 4 weeks and was sent home cold turkey and to find my fibromyalgia medication was no longer effective because my tolerance had spiked, had a small blood clot, almost died, etc. and I did everything by the book, as did my surgeon. Just the chance we all take.

I was approved for a DS thru my ins. I've only had the sleeve done so far. I am exactly 7 months out today my surgery weight was 413 and I'm now 305. I have lost very little in the last few months, like 5lbs for June and 5lbs for July. My dr said I should know if I will need the 2nd half of the switch around this time. I'm just wondering at what point do you throw in the towel and say I've gone as far as I can with the sleeve? The 2nd part kinda freaks me out although I don't want to be stuck at this weight either. So do you just keep truckin along and lose 5lbs a month til goal or do you go for the 2nd part. This is just something I'm curious about. I'm also freaked out in that I'm still losing hair from getting the sleeve. Am I going to have to go thru all that again too? Idk.

I was approved for a DS thru my ins. I've only had the sleeve done so far. I am exactly 7 months out today my surgery weight was 413 and I'm now 305. I have lost very little in the last few months' date=' like 5lbs for June and 5lbs for July. My dr said I should know if I will need the 2nd half of the switch around this time. I'm just wondering at what point do you throw in the towel and say I've gone as far as I can with the sleeve? The 2nd part kinda freaks me out although I don't want to be stuck at this weight either. So do you just keep truckin along and lose 5lbs a month til goal or do you go for the 2nd part. This is just something I'm curious about. I'm also freaked out in that I'm still losing hair from getting the sleeve. Am I going to have to go thru all that again too? Idk.[/quote']

Give it at least 2 years. At least!!!

7 months with more than 100 lbs lost is pretty damn awesome. That is approx 14-15 lbs per month, 3-4 lbs a week. It's a process, not a magic wand.

>>>Give it at least 2 years. At least!!!<<<

Based on what study or professional advice? I wish I had had the DS at the end of 12 months' date=' instead of waiting two years. It is just wasted, miserable time, during which I became depressed and self punishing. Many have the sleeve as part of the DS,at one time, so waiting past the time the Dr indicates and the insurance approves makes no sense. The regain is a very real possibility and occurs to a lot more people than you

realize...[/quote']

That's exactly what I do not want to happen. I understand its a process and not a magic wand but am I on a 5lbs a month trend til I stop all together or will my body eventually let me get to goal. I understand waiting a little while and letting things take their coarse but I also do not want to feel that I wasted time trying to get to a goal that my body won't allow. I'm just wondering realistically how long to wait. 2 years seems like a long time. I was thinking a year. Especially if I stop losing all together in a few months, however I don't want to jump the gun so to speak either, especially when considering all things involved in finishing the switch.

Well it sounds like minds are made up and affirmation was being sought.

Best of luck to you.