Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was my initial consult. It went well...I was told that after 3 months they will send an approval request to my insurance company (aetna POS) and I should be approved. Because my previous doctor has notation of my weight loss attempts and such like in my records.

I'm still straddling the fence however; while the presentation was being made I kept wondering if I could live with a band and port for the rest of my life. I am reconsidering RNY...but am I willing to take the risk of RNY? I am reconsidering WLS.

In my mind I am thinking...my problem is not always overeating...it is the cake and ice cream. If I can just stop with those two things I will be okay. Dumping is a strong deterrent from eating cake and ice cream...that is why I'm reconsidering RNY.

The surgeon made an interesting comment today. She said that Black women don't tend to do well with WLS...when I asked what she meant she backed away from the discussion. What was that about?

Anywho...talk to me somebody...

BTW, I am actually 302.7 #s..yes, it does make a difference. :huggie:

Mamaz2ndbaby,

My consultation is next Thursday OMG it's only a week away. I am almost certain (99% before seeing the doctor) that I will have the band done if the insurance approves it. The honeymoon is over, I know about erosions, and slippages p'bings, etc but I do think that this if for me. FOR ME the RNY is too permanant and I worry about malnutrition from the malabsorption of an RNY, and there are more complications. The lap-band is reversible although I hope everything goes well and does not need to be taken out. I can not for the life of me imagine why being a black woman vs a white woman would make a difference. Since you have 3 months before they will submit to your insurance can I make a suggestion? I bought the book "Lap-Band for Life" by Dr. Ortiz and a couple of others from Amazon. The other 2 haven't been delivered yet and I forget what they were. All I remember is that one of them is humorous in nature and very expensive. I am also thinking about getting the 2 books by Carnie Wilson. She had the RNY and has had problems with her weight afterwards. She had a baby afterwards, which explains some of her weight gain, but she ended up on VH1's Celebrity Fit Club. I can't imagine losing most of my stomach and still having a weight problem. Of course we tend to focus on the apperance aspect of it and not the fat brain that we have. Another good book is "Body Clutter" by Leanne Ely and Marla Cilly available at Amazon.com and flylady.net. They help to deal with the fat brain.

My opinion is you know you have 3 month before they submit to insurance. Use that time wisely and make the best decision for you. What is right for me may not be right for you.

Good luck,

Susan