Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The fittest city

According to americanfitnessindex.org:

The top 10

1. Minneapolis, MN

2. Washington, DC

3. Portland, OR

4. San Francisco, CA

5. Denver, CO

6. Boston, MA

7. Sacramento, CA

8. Seattle, WA

9. Hartford, CT

10. San Jose, CA

The bottom 5

1. Memphis, TN

2. Louisville, KY

3. San Antonio, TX

4. Detroit, MI

5. Oklahoma City, OK

Is your city on here? What makes a city fit?

I am surprised to see my city of Seattle, WA on here at 8. I suppose it helps to have a lot of biking, walking, running and hiking trails around the region. So that begs the question: if Seattle is so fit, where did us VSG Seattleites go wrong? Bariatric surgery business is booming here and it seems like everyone is always on a diet.

Do you agree with this list?

Let's hear your thoughts and theories.

I'm surprised to see Seattle on this list also. I thought we were on the list of one of the cities with the most obese people. LOL

Seattleite here (but you knew that), I think I went wrong when I wouldn't stop eating things that were terrible for me in copious amounts over many years coupled with my goal to stop moving haha.

I see my Northern California cities are represented 3 times!

We have great everything here for the outdoor enthusiast... Oh and we have great plastic surgeons too :D

I know that Portland, OR is like the bicycling capital of the world.

Interesting that Washington, D.C. Is way up on the list. You wouldn't think all those politicians, congressmen and lawyers have time to work out.

Seattleite here (but you knew that)' date=' I think I went wrong when I wouldn't stop eating things that were terrible for me in copious amounts over many years coupled with my goal to stop moving haha.[/quote']

Same here Chimera! I could not stop shoveling high carb goodness into my mouth for most of my life. The list is endless, but I had a special place in my heart for cold stone, apple fritters and oatmeal raisin Cookies. Yet, I have been active for most of my life also as an avid hiker and a cardio beast. I guess the caloric intake was always way higher then whatever I could burn off by hiking and doing hours of elliptical. Today, thank god, I am so much more educated about what it takes to stay fit in an efficient manner. Those hours and hours of cardio were only making me fatter in my earlier adult years when I ate copious amounts of sugar and deep fried breaded foods.

According to americanfitnessindex.org:

The top 10

1. Minneapolis' date=' MN

2. Washington, DC

3. Portland, OR

4. San Francisco, CA

5. Denver, CO

6. Boston, MA

7. Sacramento, CA

8. Seattle, WA

9. Hartford, CT

10. San Jose, CA

The bottom 5

1. Memphis, TN

2. Louisville, KY

3. San Antonio, TX

4. Detroit, MI

5. Oklahoma City, OK

Is your city on here? What makes a city fit?

I am surprised to see my city of Seattle, WA on here at 8. I suppose it helps to have a lot of biking, walking, running and hiking trails around the region. So that begs the question: if Seattle is so fit, where did us VSG Seattleites go wrong? Bariatric surgery business is booming here and it seems like everyone is always on a diet.

Do you agree with this list?

Let's hear your thoughts and theories.

[/quote']

Oklahoma City represent! Not the least bit surprised.

I live in the Bay Area, and am not surprised to see San Francisco and San Jose on the list! Seems like everyone I meet is either training for a marathon or is super into biking. Laura-ven is right, with such great year-round weather and so many beautiful natural areas to exercise, the Bay Area seems like the perfect place to get--and stay--fit.

Now if only I wasn't paying astronomical rent. :(

I live in the Bay Area' date=' and am not surprised to see San Francisco and San Jose on the list! Seems like everyone I meet is either training for a marathon or is super into biking. Laura-ven is right, with such great year-round weather and so many beautiful natural areas to exercise, the Bay Area seems like the perfect place to get--and stay--fit.

Now if only I wasn't paying astronomical rent. :([/quote']

I live I'm Los Gatos... I think I might be the only fat chick in the whole city! :D

I live I'm Los Gatos... I think I might be the only fat chick in the whole city! :D

Guuuurl, I used to work in LG...that's a tough place to not be "yuppie perfect". I feel your pain!

Guuuurl' date=' I used to work in LG...that's a tough place to not be "yuppie perfect". I feel your pain![/quote']

Hey Zare!! I used him too!!!

I just looked at your first post :D

D.C. is probably on the list because it has such a high population of young people. Think of all those colleges and all those congressional staffs in such a small area. Also it is a very competitive town, that probably adds too.

Laura , you ain't no fat chick any mo'.

Seriously, you should not say that because it is not true. We have seen how you look in a recent photos. lookin' good. Keep up the great work! I know it takes a fight every day to keep the cravings away, but I always know you are a very strong willed lady. Stronger than any old weak excuse for a craving.

Those cravings are whimpering in your presence.

I see my Northern California cities are represented 3 times!

We have great everything here for the outdoor enthusiast... Oh and we have great plastic surgeons too :D

Where's that smiley that shoots the bird when you need it? :P

(Said the guy from one of the chicken-fried capitals of the south :lol:)

I might used to be the only fat chick in the whole city! :D

Fixed it for you.

You're beautiful, knock it off. :)