Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts?

Is it worth it? With the long-term complications, like erosion and gastro-esophageal problems, is it worth it?

I was all set to get a band, until I was reading about the long-term problems on the board. They seem pretty common for those who have been banded 2+ years. And I just got off Prilosec. Don't want to spend the rest of my life back on it.

Is it worth it? I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone just gotten banded for under 2 years and then had the band removed once the weight goal was attained?.

I'm at 41 BMI, about 100 lbs to lose, so it's not as if my life depends on it - yet. Am I better off doing it and getting it removed? Not doing it at all? I'm so confused!

:)

Is it worth it? With the long-term complications, like erosion and gastro-esophageal problems, is it worth it?

I was all set to get a band, until I was reading about the long-term problems on the board. They seem pretty common for those who have been banded 2+ years. And I just got off Prilosec. Don't want to spend the rest of my life back on it.

Is it worth it? I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone just gotten banded for under 2 years and then had the band removed once the weight goal was attained?.

:)

As has been said on other threads, keep in mind that people tend to post more often when they are having problems, leading to a perception that most/all of us do. That's not true, those of us doing very well don't start threads to say that. I hang out here because I still have a lot to learn, and I like the group here. But other then a couple of PBs, I haven't had any problems at all yet, and DH who is more then 2 years out hasn't either other then the PBs.

Yes, some people do have serious complications. I don't mean to minimize things for them. But I looked at the numbers, and the chance of having serious health issue if I did nothing and stayed Morbidly obese was MUCH higher then the risks from the surgery.

I wouldn't think of having my band removed unless it was medically required. I know that losing my weight is less then 1/2 the battle, and I don't think for a second I could be successful long term at maintaining without my band. I have too many years of experience to the contrary.

Well - I am coming up on only 1 yr - so I am no expert... but, frequently there have been posts by people who had the same worries.

Those long-term banded people come out of the woodwork to tell us all about how they are doing great and have no complications.

It's true that the complications forum is full of the various things that can happen - but please keep in mind that there are thousands and thousands of members on this board. I am pretty sure that if it were possible to do the math, the percentage of complications would seem much less scary if you calculated against the whole population of this board.

Take your time. Think about your history of dieting. Don't let us push you into anything - but don't let your fear talk you out of it either.

I just keep in mind that every minute I have my band is another minute for my brain to be trained to accept less food on my plate and my body to accept less food in my system. The longer I have it, the better my chance of long-term maintenance becomes. I am hoping to have my band for a long, long time.